Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Get off my spot you spot stealers!!!!!" - Derek "Duck" Johnson
- (Added by: Muskie Treats)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Painting Spinnerbait Heads and Hooks

Message Subject: Painting Spinnerbait Heads and Hooks
Dan
Posted 12/12/2006 3:50 PM (#225125)
Subject: Painting Spinnerbait Heads and Hooks

I am also trying to make my own musky spinnerbaits. I am wondering how everyone paints the head their heads. I have seen some great paint jobs with many colors that blend well together. What techniques and paint is best? Do you have to use an airbrush to paint the heads?

Also wondering what musky spinnerbait hooks would you recommend? thanks

Dan
Partycrasher
Posted 12/13/2006 9:32 AM (#225231 - in reply to #225125)
Subject: RE: Painting Spinnerbait Heads and Hooks

I prime mine with spray Zinnser "Cover Stain"(most hardware stores). You don't need an air brush. You can get some great looking spinnerbait heads with good old fashion "rattle can" spray paint like Krylon. For spinnerbait heads, you will paint heads for years out of a can. When finished painting, add eyes and cover the heads with devcon 2-Ton Epoxy (Wal-Mart) and they will look professional.

I like Krylon because they don't clog and you will use every last drop out of the can three years later.
I can paint nearly any pattern that I want with these colors; White, Black, Hunter Green, Yellow, Leather Brown, Safety Plum Purple, Gold, Silver, Flo Chart., and Flo Red/Orange. With these colors you can get all the basics like; Firetiger, Red tiger, Perch, Sucker, Shad, Cisco, Walleye, Crappie, Bluegill, and purple.
Partycrasher
Posted 12/13/2006 10:25 AM (#225242 - in reply to #225125)
Subject: RE: Painting Spinnerbait Heads and Hooks

As far as hooks go, the Mustad 3407 has been the standard for quite a while. Lately I have been using Mustad's 32608N in 6/0 and I really like them. But the 6/0 is the largest they make in that hook. If you are making really big spinnerbaits, the 3407 is available in much larger sizes. The companion to the 3407 is the 34081. It's basically the 3407 with a large eye that can be used as a trailer hook if you need one. These are all available from the Musky component guys like Reinke Bros.(414-383-5591), Moores (715-356-6834), Stamina, Barlows, etc.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)