Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Vilas Co. conditions?

Message Subject: Vilas Co. conditions?
The Nate
Posted 11/8/2006 7:36 AM (#219600)
Subject: Vilas Co. conditions?

In the process of trying to plan where to go fishing this weekend and I was wondering what conditions where up in the Boulder Junction area. Will there be ice on most waters come this weekend? or have you been experiencing a warm week like we have here in northern Illinois. Outside of that does anyone have any suggestions on relatively cheap places to stay in that area? I usually stay in Boulder Junction but was hoping there would be something else in the area for under $70 a night. Thanks

Nate
Slamr
Posted 11/8/2006 7:52 AM (#219605 - in reply to #219600)
Subject: RE: Vilas Co. conditions?

I dont have any clue on ice conditions, but I would figure if you call Skyview Lodge, tell them that you heard about them through MuskieFIRST, they might give you a good rate. At least one less than $70 a night. http://www.skyviewlodge.com
bn
Posted 11/8/2006 7:56 AM (#219608 - in reply to #219600)

As of last sunday some of the smaller, shallower lakes were pretty well frozen over..the bigger, deeper ones were not at all...they did have warmer weather up there this week..turning colder tomorrow into the weekend...Most of the lakes should be ice free this weekend..maybe some skim ice in the smaller bays but you should be fine...
hotlanta
Posted 11/8/2006 8:02 AM (#219610 - in reply to #219600)

The Pea Patch in Manitowish Waters is about $50 a night.
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 11/8/2006 8:16 AM (#219612 - in reply to #219600)

Wildcat, Palmer and the river entrance to High and Hellen were all frozen over on Saturday. Sunday was gorgeous up there and the High launch opened. Palmer and WildCat were both opening back up and should be open now. You will have open water up there for sure. Trout, Man Chain, Cisco Chain, Black Oak...all of these should be open through next weekend yet.

jonnysled
Posted 11/8/2006 8:30 AM (#219617 - in reply to #219600)

bn is accurate .... it's been warm and going to be near mid 60's today. all the larger bodies of water are available and some of the mid-sized also. should have a good selection of lakes to choose from without much problem.
agrimm
Posted 11/8/2006 8:47 AM (#219622 - in reply to #219600)

The Bear Bar and Grill on HWY W near Winchester has rooms for 15$ a night...now these are just a room and bed w/ community bathrooom and not sure about a shower. Never stayed, but knew it was an option.

Edited by agrimm 11/8/2006 8:52 AM
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 11/8/2006 9:06 AM (#219626 - in reply to #219600)

Sled...what do you think about next weekend? What will be open then?
jonnysled
Posted 11/8/2006 9:22 AM (#219631 - in reply to #219600)

this coming weekend is good i think for just about anything you want to do. remember though a couple cold nights and the lights get turned off on the small and mid-sized lakes really quick. it all depends on the weather that's coming this weekend and into next week, but i would think that the bigger water like tom, trout, mani, fence etc ... could still be fishable. i know last year brad and i fished thanksgiving ... make sure to bring your shovel, gravel, sand or whatever to the launch with you.

i'll be around later next week and if anybody needs real time information for next weekend just pm me and i'll try to help you out.
Pete Stoltman
Posted 11/8/2006 9:25 AM (#219634 - in reply to #219600)

Most lakes are still open but some bays (including launch areas) have ice. Things have been reasonably open this week but temps are taking a dive again starting sometime today. You'll find plenty of open water but think about where the launch on your target lake is. Could be dicey. Don't forget a bag of sand or some kitty litter.
Pete Stoltman
Posted 11/8/2006 10:31 AM (#219654 - in reply to #219600)

Here's a case in point. South landing at Big Arbor Vitae late Monday afternoon.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(icelaunch23.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments icelaunch23.jpg (33KB - 52 downloads)
jonnysled
Posted 11/8/2006 10:42 AM (#219657 - in reply to #219600)

remember though that the landing on Arb is tucked into the shade of a pretty big shallow bay. there will likely be "unfishable" waters depending on size, depth and location of the landings, but there is a bonafide shot of two more weekends to fish depending on what water you pick. the chains of sugar camp, minocqua, fence, mani along with other individual lakes will be wide open this weekend and then albeit more difficult potentially next weekend still able to put a boat in for people who know what they are doing ... i don't see this year as any earlier or later than "normal" for this time of year.
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 11/8/2006 12:20 PM (#219684 - in reply to #219600)

Sled...next friday, we're going to need you to drive to every major landing, take pics then report back here for a detailed report. Cool? haahaha
bn
Posted 11/8/2006 12:23 PM (#219688 - in reply to #219600)

just a guess here but i'm gonna say most of the landings by next friday will be iced up...just looking at the long range...lows back in the 20's next week ... the bigger lakes if the landings happen to be in the main lake near deep water might be ok...there will be some lakes i'm sure fishable next weekend...but only the big deep ones would be my guess... this weekend is probably the best shot at getting to the lakes you want to...
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 11/8/2006 2:35 PM (#219728 - in reply to #219600)

I'll be on one of these three next week FO SHO.

1) Black Oak
2) Twins
3) Trout
Jomusky
Posted 11/8/2006 8:41 PM (#219808 - in reply to #219728)

Fence is one of the last to freeze up
Pete Stoltman
Posted 11/8/2006 9:01 PM (#219816 - in reply to #219600)

Update, just drove by the landing on Big Arb where I took the photo Monday and it was wide open. Most lakes should still be ok this weekend is my guess. Come on up guys, we'll help ya find a lake if you need one! Anyone heading to the general St. Germain area feel free to contact me and I can check things out for you if needed. Monday I was out late afternoon on Big Arb and had one very nice fish blow a Reef Hawg out of the water and two other follows in about three hours of fishing. Fished deeper water on Tuesday around schools of baitfish near spawning areas and didn't see a thing. Been hearing reports of some guys finding nice fish throughout the area though.
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 11/9/2006 7:32 AM (#219847 - in reply to #219600)

People....if you swing into Rollie and Hellen's, you'll be greeted by somebody from this board...a pretty renouned and respected poster here.
Pete Stoltman
Posted 11/9/2006 9:07 AM (#219882 - in reply to #219600)

Yeah, I don't know how renowned but "he" will be there tonight for the guys getting a jump on the weekend and Saturday & Sunday. A little bird told me he's going to be fishing Friday but the other guys there will give you a hearty welcome to the northwoods.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)