Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Bad things that have happened to your boat in late fall?

Message Subject: Bad things that have happened to your boat in late fall?
tuffy1
Posted 11/7/2006 6:29 AM (#219324)
Subject: Bad things that have happened to your boat in late fall?

So kinda on the same line as the other post, what are some bad things or pain in the arse things that have happened to your boat this time of the year?
Last year on one of the last few days of the season, I had to take a freaking hair dryer to thaw the lids of my boat compartments. It rained all day, and they froze shut on the way home, so without thawing it, I couldn't even charge the battery, or put an areator in the live well for the sausage. I now have a nice space heater and propane heater for just such issues.
esoxman50
Posted 11/7/2006 7:31 AM (#219335 - in reply to #219324)
Subject: RE: Bad things that have happened to your boat in late fall?

I've had the outlet for the bilge water freeze over, if it's a windy day and you get some water in the boat you'll want that bilge working. Just something to check.

Joe Wishin
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 11/7/2006 7:55 AM (#219345 - in reply to #219324)

I pushed my boat off the trailer while standing on a pier and as I pushed it past the trailer the snap/latch broke on my brand new landing rope, it set my boat free on Big Cedar lake at the beginning of Nov.....I had to jump/swim for it. I jumped and missed the bow by 2 feet swam a couple of strokes and caught the eye. I should have just let it go.
muskymeyer
Posted 11/7/2006 8:03 AM (#219347 - in reply to #219324)

Had ice rip out the boat plug.

Corey Meyer
ghoti
Posted 11/7/2006 9:41 AM (#219386 - in reply to #219324)

Boat froze to bunks- boat hold down ratchets froze- trolling motor shaft froze, can"t deploy- trim shaft full of ice, can't drop motor- transducer broken while launching, no depth finder in rear for the day- dropped ice chisel in water while breaking ice to prevent pevious problem- and on and on and on---- but there's only a few weeks left so------------go fish...
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 11/7/2006 10:17 AM (#219404 - in reply to #219347)

muskymeyer - 11/7/2006 8:03 AM

Had ice rip out the boat plug.

Corey Meyer

Good one Howie, that reminds me that I've seen transducers ripped off as well. The transom of a boat can take a whooping by ice that comes from under the bow.
bryce
Posted 11/7/2006 10:29 AM (#219409 - in reply to #219324)

had something in the carburetor freeze up and when i took the air box off it shot gas like a squirt gun all over the bibs
Pointerpride102
Posted 11/7/2006 10:46 AM (#219415 - in reply to #219324)

Fell in the water and my boat filled up with water. (I run a pair of waders so when I fall in so does my boat When you fall into nearly freezing water your muscles tend to "instantly cramp" an easy way to die, so be careful out in the cold!

Mike
dogboy
Posted 11/7/2006 10:51 AM (#219416 - in reply to #219324)

had my impellar on the water pump freeze up, it was something like 15degrees out. Had to oar back to the landing, it was a rather quick trip.
muskymeyer
Posted 11/7/2006 12:48 PM (#219443 - in reply to #219324)

While checking rods shorefishing a few years back I got my feet tangled in the roots of a stump and fell into the water. I had chest waders on and it was not over waist deep, but with the water at 38 degrees it was not fun. This was before noon and spent the rest of the day really close to the campfire.

Corey Meyer
ifish
Posted 11/7/2006 1:15 PM (#219446 - in reply to #219324)

On friday of last week a buddy was launching at Kinkaid. He unhooked his boat at the top and when he got about five feet from the water his boat slid off his frozen bunks and hit the pavement. Ouch! He was lucky,only a small nick in his skagg.
setme31
Posted 11/7/2006 1:56 PM (#219450 - in reply to #219324)

A raccoon got into my boat while it was in storage. He chewed up a bunch of carpet and all of the wires for my trolling motor and front depth finder. He was living in my rod locker. He also took a dump in my battery box.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Racoonc.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Racoone.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Racoonc.jpg (43KB - 74 downloads)
Attachments Racoone.jpg (40KB - 65 downloads)
Posted 11/7/2006 2:24 PM (#219460 - in reply to #219446)

Hit a piece of ice, which went under the boat and hit the transducer, which broke off its mount and swung up on the cable and hit me in the back of the head. Ouch, and WTF!?!
k-bob
Posted 11/7/2006 9:52 PM (#219581 - in reply to #219324)

On the last day of the P.I. trip, Rob and I went to a lake. He put his boat in first, then I put mine in. Esoxaddict and I are drifting away from them and getting our suckers ready. All of a sudden, we hear Rob swearing like crazy. Turns out he forgot his drain plug. He had been in the water a good 4-5 minutes and it took about 20 minutes to bilge it out.
Krishna
Matt Collins
Posted 11/8/2006 9:03 AM (#219625 - in reply to #219324)

Had every pump in the boat freeze, livewell switches cracked off, lids froze shut, trolling motor froze to the the brackett, boat froze to the bunks temporarily, etc.
jlong
Posted 11/8/2006 9:37 AM (#219637 - in reply to #219324)

This past weekend my trolling motor froze in the upright and locked position. The cooling water line froze on the outboard. Boat froze to the bunks. I blew a fuse when I turned on the bilge pump... and the pump was froze up. And this was GOOD weekend for late fall fishing (heh heh).
Donnie3737
Posted 11/8/2006 9:52 AM (#219641 - in reply to #219324)

Plugged the whole where the motor pees, lost the right wheel, bearings and all at 62 m.p.h., then dropped to the payment with the U joints, and almost lost the axle. Had to jack up the the trailer, drop it onto my cooler lid, and drag it off of Hwy. 502. Had a friend who was following me, Craig Eversoll, run to Dryden and get new bearings....he returned, and in 2 degree weather, repacked the bearings, prayed over the U joints, and drove back to Dryden myself at 2:00 a.m. Stayed the night, went and got BOTH bearings repacked the next day, (or same day for that matter) and had the U joints holding the axle on replaced....they had about a millimeter of metal left after dragging on the ground at 62 m.p.h. Then, on my way home, blew both tires on the trailer!

So, to make a long story short, always carry an extra set of bearings, keep a bait needle handing to break the ice in your pee hole, and grease your bearing regularly.

Donnie
Reelwise
Posted 11/8/2006 10:04 AM (#219645 - in reply to #219324)

Hole in my boat Still have to fix it.

Edited by Reelwise 11/8/2006 12:39 PM
muskynightmare
Posted 11/8/2006 1:45 PM (#219712 - in reply to #219324)

K-bob,
I have never said any swear words in my life!
Hey, what the $%^K was that? Mother #%^K! I can't beleive this $!#^
LOL
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 11/8/2006 2:00 PM (#219715 - in reply to #219324)

took my father inlaw out one fall,and he had never gone 50mph on the water. he left his reading glasses on the back deck........we know where they ended up. and to top it,he had some fresh cut shad on one rod trying to hook a catfish while we were out. i guess the fish wanted the WHOLE thing. expensive trip for him,dont think he has been in the boat with me since.(and thats not a problem for me,LOL!!)
AFChief
Posted 11/8/2006 5:25 PM (#219772 - in reply to #219324)

The Regional Vice President of the company I work for had been bugging me for some time to take him muskie fishing. After almost two years, our schedules finally synched up where I could take him out. After a full day on the water, we had boated one good fish -- his first. As the day was getting late, we thought we would try some locations near the boat launch. Just as we were getting ready to head back, the coupler let loose between my motor and lower unit leaving us stranded 3 miles from the nearest launch with no other boat traffic in sight (end of Oct on a cold, late afternoon). After using my torlling motor until the battery was dead and sitting for nearly two hours, we finally saw a boat that was willing to tow us in just as the sun was setting. I don't think I would have kept my job if we had gotten stuck on the water overnight.....
stephendawg
Posted 11/8/2006 6:30 PM (#219789 - in reply to #219324)

Had to put it away "before" ice came in. RATS, I hate when that happens!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)