Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: A musky smelling high five and a swig of Jack is better then "a bud light and a slimy handshake", Dogboy.
- (Added by: Jomusky)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> suggestions for making metal tails

Message Subject: suggestions for making metal tails
Dutchman1
Posted 10/10/2006 4:18 PM (#213814)
Subject: suggestions for making metal tails

Looking for ideas on cutting my own tails like on bobbie baits or suicks, just larger. Thanks Tim
Bayboo_baits
Posted 10/10/2006 6:24 PM (#213830 - in reply to #213814)
Subject: RE: suggestions for making metal tails

You need to find a metal shop that has a lazer cutter or you need to have a mold made to stamp them out of stainless steel i do know some of them.
Grunt Lures
Posted 10/10/2006 8:33 PM (#213876 - in reply to #213814)

You might be able to do something with aluminum too. Easy to cut and work with but not the best to bend over and over again.

Here is a flap tail from Stamina:
http://www.staminainc.com/plug_hardware/flap_tail.html
Not sure if that is the size you want though.

Can always go to Home Depot and walk the metal isle or the screw isle. Always something close to what you want.

Perfect Drift
Posted 10/17/2006 4:35 PM (#215315 - in reply to #213814)

I was talking to Greg Nimmer about building me one with an old school bottle opener on the end.You know the flat ones.He always puts eyelets on both ends.You can use it as a jerkbait or a crank bait..
GMan
Posted 10/18/2006 9:39 AM (#215447 - in reply to #213814)

You can cut these by hand with a good large tin snips then work the edges with a small file and emery cloth. It takes a little practice, and I would not recommend it for mass production, but you'd be surprised how easy it is if your design is not too intricate. I'd also recommend leather gloves. Plus, becareful not to buy too heavy a piece of stainless steel, as it will really throw off the lure action.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)