Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> It's about the fun, Dad...

Message Subject: It's about the fun, Dad...
sorenson
Posted 9/17/2006 11:36 AM (#209611)
Subject: It's about the fun, Dad...

Well after getting the news about big fish being caught (yeah, I love those calls too), I decided to get my lazy butt out of bed in the morning and chase a fish or two. I told my boy Niklas (5 years old) about lambeau's fish and he got all excited to go along with me. So we decided to get up early and hit Pineview for a couple of hours before Mom had to take off for work.

After our ritualistic stop at the Chevron for coffee for me and hot chocolate and a donut for Nik, we headed up the canyon in the early morning gray of pre-dawn in the mountains. Overcast and 39 degrees...hmmm, doesn't feel like summer anymore.

I tried casting on the usual first spot (GOTONE and lambeau, you know where) with no success and Nik had already decided that it was too cold to cast, so we voted for trolling for a bit. So we got 3 lines ready and began our trolling run in the steam that 64 degree water makes in 40 degree air. We planned our contingencies and respective duties encompassing the possible senarios for each rod going off and patiently waited.

We probably hadn't gone more than 20 - 25 minutes before our near-shore line (on the board) stops and begins it's little 'fish on' dance of the rod tip...Nik's rod. I clear the others as he reels up to the board and lets me unclip it. Of course, by now, I'm a wreck and he's fighting this fish like he's done it a thousand times and it's just routine. Soon I see the fish and calm down a bit, yeah, a fiesty 2 footer! So I now have a 24" muskie in the net and an extra quart of un-needed adrenaline in my system. I really wanted a picture of Nik w/ his fish so I quickly snap a digital pic and he lets the little tiger slide back into the water. Well, following usual protocol when taking digital pictures of kids, the request to see it comes about a nanosecond after the release. Attempting to view the picture, the dreaded 'memory card failure' message blinks across the camera screen....*$&@^#(%$!! No picture. Nik calmly reminds me that we still have a great memory and "It's just about the fun anyway, Dad."

Set up for more trolling. Ok, cool Dad, we'll get more anyway...
Again, about another 20 minute wait results in the same line going off and a similar fight ensues, but with a bigger fish. It jumps about 12' from the boat and I see it's a nice one, not huge, but nice (guessing at the time about 36-38), so you can now guess how bad I REALLY want this fish in the net for a decent picture. As the fight nears the boat I see that the fish probably isn't quite as big as I originally thought, maybe more like 34-35". Well, as common, the fish makes a downward run below the boat and comes back up RIGHT at my feet, way too close to the boat for comfort. In fact, way way way too close to the boat, close enough in fact, that one of the loose hooks spears the seam of my boat and sticks the fish right to it! I make one desperate stab at the fish, very awkwardly I might add since I couldn't thread the net between the boat and the rod, and the fish slips away and Nik's lure is left hooked to a 16 1/2 footer...
Again, I'm not happy (I really feel that I should have gotten that fish for him), but the wisdom of Nik calms me again, "It's just about the fun anyway, Dad." He says that he had a ton of fun fighting it and he was just going to let it go again. So we ended up with what we decided was 1 1/2 fish, no pictures, but more importantly, a great time.

And those friends of mine expecting offspring in the near future, again I congratulate you. But be forewarned - you're gonna get many life lessons handed to you and you're going to reflect often on who is teaching who the most important ones. I for one, learned a lot this morning.

Sorno
sworrall
Posted 9/17/2006 3:03 PM (#209636 - in reply to #209611)
Subject: RE: It's about the fun, Dad...

Sorno,
They keep on with the lessons for Dad even when they are in their twenties and thirties, so it only can get better! Sounds like a great trip.
BALDY
Posted 9/17/2006 5:04 PM (#209645 - in reply to #209611)

Looks like Dad did a little teaching of his own to instill those type of values in Nik. Sounds like a great morning, Sorno.
ghoti
Posted 9/17/2006 6:01 PM (#209658 - in reply to #209611)

Your son's got the right attitude, and I'm pretty sure I know where he got it. Congrats!!!
The Dogger
Posted 9/18/2006 10:32 AM (#209748 - in reply to #209611)

t
muskyboy
Posted 9/18/2006 10:37 AM (#209749 - in reply to #209611)

That's what life is about

I always keep a disposable camera with me just in case the digital fails. You'll get some nice pictures for him next time out
GOTONE
Posted 9/18/2006 1:02 PM (#209770 - in reply to #209611)

I remember the spot, AND know the ritual Chevron station stop for donuts and coffee too!!! Wish I could make another trip this year with you!!!

Keep remembering that "it's about the fun, Dad"! I also bet I know the someone who taught him that too!!

congrats on a great day with Nik!

GotOne
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)