Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Was this a fluke?

Message Subject: Was this a fluke?
Jim L
Posted 8/27/2006 12:26 PM (#206787)
Subject: Was this a fluke?

I was fishing a lake in N. WI. last week and had something happen that may have me re-evaluate my leader choice. I was fishing a Real fish bullhead and had just had a muskies shred it without getting hooked up. I noticed a nick in the leader so I cut off and retied. On a subsequent cast, I felt something different so I gave the rod a snap and nothing. I reeled in my line and the fluoro leader was cut neatly (no scrapes or frays) a few inches above where the snap was. At first I thought I was cut off by a fish but looking back I think the lure's hooks had fouled on the line and when I gave the rod a snap the sharp hooks cut the leader. First, has anyone experienced this before. Is this a fluke? What are the chances the hooks were in perfect position to cut the leader at the exact time I gave the rod a snap. I was using 80 lb. Seaguar hand made leaders and have never had anything like this happen before. Any ideas?
sworrall
Posted 8/27/2006 11:17 PM (#206848 - in reply to #206787)
Subject: RE: Was this a fluke?

It could have been the hooks or a fish, I supppose. If the material can be cut with a knife, and sharp edge can get you that result, if everything is just right (or in this case, wrong).
BenR
Posted 8/28/2006 12:39 AM (#206851 - in reply to #206787)

You need to look at the leader better...after fishing out east and catching numerous mako sharks on 90lb fluro...I can say without a doubt that that muskie cannot bite through a leader unless it has already been damaged...muskie do not have the teeth these sharkes do...period..Ben
MuskyJay
Posted 8/28/2006 11:46 AM (#206904 - in reply to #206851)

I have had numerous friends lose fish on 80lb flouro, I would beef it up to the 130 lb. I have been using the 130 lb and have caught like 20 fish per leader with no problems. Thorne Bros has some that work well.

Edited by MuskyJay 8/28/2006 11:49 AM
Mauser
Posted 8/28/2006 3:36 PM (#206945 - in reply to #206787)

Personal thoughts only,

I'll NEVER use a floro leader nor a mono or ANYTHING but steel. If you can cut it with a pair of scissors or knife then sooner or later a fish will cut it. Just personal thoughts , maybe it a confidence thing but steel works for me. PERIOD.

Mauser
fish4musky1
Posted 8/28/2006 3:47 PM (#206948 - in reply to #206787)

thats one reason i dont use floro or even 7 strand any more. all i use now are single strand piano
type leaders. i had a 7 strand break somehow while casting and dont trust mono or flouro.
Schuler
Posted 8/28/2006 7:22 PM (#206983 - in reply to #206787)

I would bet on it being a fish rather than the hook.
esox69
Posted 8/28/2006 9:43 PM (#207005 - in reply to #206787)

i've told this story before, but to me it illustrates a point; caught a 34" ski' on a bobbie bait with a 100# flouro leader, which was totally outside the fishes mouth during the entire fight. after releasing the fish, i noticed it was shredded 1/2 way thru in 2 spots! my point? if a mid 30" fish can somehow do this, what do you think a mid 30 lb. fish can do??????? i won't ever take a chance on killing a fish because of that. steel from now on....
steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)