Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Nets

Message Subject: Nets
howitt
Posted 8/24/2006 6:19 PM (#206480)
Subject: Nets

After years of hand landing, I finally broke down and bought a net this year. Last week after spending 10 minutes trying to untangle both fish and hooks from the mesh after it rolled up bad I'm considering going back to my old method. At least we were able to keep the fish in the water while we got it untangled and it swam away okay but it was more stress than I would have liked to put the fish through. How do you stop the fish from rolling?
CJW
Posted 8/24/2006 6:37 PM (#206482 - in reply to #206480)
Subject: RE: Nets

What kind of net is it?
howitt
Posted 8/24/2006 6:43 PM (#206484 - in reply to #206480)

Frabill
Grunt Lures
Posted 8/24/2006 6:46 PM (#206486 - in reply to #206484)

I have one of the Frabill Kwik Kradle and love the thing. What kind is your Frabill as I have seen some Frabill nets that looked like they would be a mess with hooks and fish...

kevin
Posted 8/24/2006 7:14 PM (#206493 - in reply to #206480)

whether using a beckman or frabill always make sure its one with a coated bag as that will help with the tangle... If it does get tangled bad I just start cutting hooks with my Knipex...
Silver Scale
Posted 8/24/2006 8:11 PM (#206500 - in reply to #206493)

Sometimes it's easier to cut the shank of the hook with a big bolt cutters. Once the bait is free you can go back after the rest of the hooks with your Knipex. I'm not sure how you can stop the rolling but it does help to have a big coated, knotless bag.
howitt
Posted 8/24/2006 8:19 PM (#206501 - in reply to #206480)

In this case both the shallow raider and the muskies teeth tangled in the net when the fish rolled. it took a while before we could even see the lure before I could start cutting hooks. This might have been a freak occurrence but its making me consider going back to hand landing.
Jimmy F.
Posted 8/24/2006 8:38 PM (#206503 - in reply to #206480)

To be rather blunt, you bought the wrong kind of net. I to have always hand landed all my fish even with a couple of nasty injuries over the years. Nets tangle badly and even worse split tail and fin rays. I didn’t like using cradles either. Last year I got to see a few fish put into the new style coated nets with the very small mesh openings. I was impressed!. These nets don’t tangle because the netting is very stiff and also because the mesh is so small, the fins or rays do not split. I know Beckman makes one called “The Fin Saver” that seems to do a pretty good job although I’ve seen some minor ray splitting. I’m sold on a model by “Loki Nets” that does an even better job at not splitting rays.

sworrall
Posted 8/24/2006 8:57 PM (#206509 - in reply to #206503)

I run a Frabill, and have no undue trouble with tangling any more than my son does with his small mesh bag on his net. I have spent a few minutes getting a twisted up fish out of both styles; none are tangle free if the fish rolls hard in the bag and the hooks are exposed to catch the mesh. I personally think it's easier to get hooks out of the larger mesh, and have never had hooks 'stuck' in the coated strands yet.

To answer the question as to how to keep the fish from rolling, after netting the fish keep the base of the bag in the water and give the fish a few moments to settle down. If the fish can sit reasonably upright, it will usually settle right down. DON'T pick the fish out of the water with the net.
Grunt Lures
Posted 8/24/2006 9:14 PM (#206512 - in reply to #206509)

My Frabill has that fine mesh bottom.

See my pic from my website (*imagine the kids are two muskies...): http://www.gruntmuskielures.com/image/obj184geo235pg6p17.png

Again, very happy this one. With that said, it is a little price heavy ($150-$190) but I got mine form a rep for $100 so I could not pass it up.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(obj184geo235pg6p17.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments obj184geo235pg6p17.JPG (122KB - 78 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)