Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> best way to work a side to side topwater lure?

Message Subject: best way to work a side to side topwater lure?
Posted 8/17/2006 3:31 PM (#205452)
Subject: best way to work a side to side topwater lure?

I was just wondering what is the best way to work a top water lure like a jackpot or weagle? Thanks
fish4musky1
Posted 8/17/2006 4:20 PM (#205460 - in reply to #205452)
Subject: RE: best way to work a side to side topwater lure?

what guts?

the jackpot is alot easier for a beginer like me to work but the once you figure out the weagle it can
have its time and places. i like the work the jackpot with just little downward jerks and just pick up
some of the slack with a half turn of the reel each jerk. the weagle requires more slack to be left out
or they will dive down. i work the weagle pretty much the same at the jackpot just leave alot more
slack line.
muskie! nut
Posted 8/17/2006 4:59 PM (#205465 - in reply to #205452)

My problem with those baits are with the line nowadays. They are smaller diameter and very dense. The line sinks in the middle of the cast and when the lure gets to that point, it dives as well.

What kind of line do you guys use? I have tried PowerPrro, Ripcord, & Tuff Line and they all sink. I am thinking of going back to dacron for my topwater side-to-tside baits. Any thoughts?

As far as "Guest" goes, have someone show/instruct you. Meet them at a pier, pool, pond - it doesn't matter. I will tell you that its easier to do those side-to-side topwaters with your dominate hand & you get better action on the as well.
Reef Hawg
Posted 8/17/2006 10:44 PM (#205497 - in reply to #205452)

Muskie nut. I run Tuffline XP in the 65 and 80 lb and it floats like a cork. any line that is made from spectra fibers should float for you better than the old Dacrons. I use a floroucarbon leader on some of my finicky Weagles and G Logs as it seems to keep them up better for some reason that I can't explain too. I haven't used Power Pro in so long, I can't remember if it sank, but I'll take your word for it. As far as working the lures, two different retreive styles for the most part with multiple dimensions of each. i like to hop them along when using them in areas that I am not sure of(even the G Log which is similar to a Weagle but slightly larger). When in known fish haunts(I rarely use these types of lures elsewhere anyhow) I prefer the slow slack snap sploosh that has made the Weagle so popular. One can dance any of them in place, and allow them to sit with distinct pauses too, for added attraction. Fish this year for us seem to prefer the things moving along most of the time. Just experiment and have fun till your arms get sore. Then switch back to a Topraider or Tapdancer and breath relief.

Edited by Reef Hawg 8/17/2006 10:45 PM
slimm
Posted 8/17/2006 10:49 PM (#205498 - in reply to #205452)

Medium to had taps (downward) with slack in the line (not a ton, but you will find your way) to get the weagle to work for me is what I have found.
sworrall
Posted 8/17/2006 11:42 PM (#205506 - in reply to #205498)

Doc and Jackpot I use the rod tip and a bit of reel, ease them along with a bit of a pop now and then. Weagle, I work like a maniac using the reel much more to keep the line coming and the lure making the noise it's famous for, faster and with more POP, allowing a hint of delay for the lure to glide a bit. Had one last night clear the water with the Weagle T Boned, and somehow didn't pin her up. Usually, when a Muskie hits a Weagle, she's in the net next.
CommonSense Guy
Posted 8/18/2006 10:07 AM (#205568 - in reply to #205497)

I agree with Reef Hog. That's some good info. TUF Line XP or whatever is awesome. Not too thin and it floats and doesn't fray. Perfect for a jack pot. I think you have to work them slow and methodical. Well, you can work them anyway you want but I found this works well. You want the bait to make a bubble on each turn.

But lets face it they are just big stupid fish.
BALDY
Posted 8/18/2006 10:27 AM (#205575 - in reply to #205568)

CommonSense Guy - 8/18/2006 10:07 AM

I agree with Reef Hog. That's some good info. TUF Line XP or whatever is awesome. Not too thin and it floats and doesn't fray. Perfect for a jack pot. I think you have to work them slow and methodical. Well, you can work them anyway you want but I found this works well. You want the bait to make a bubble on each turn.

But lets face it they are just big stupid fish.

RH and SW pretty much have it covered here.
FYGR8
Posted 8/18/2006 7:40 PM (#205636 - in reply to #205452)

After watching others throw these particular types of baits I am convinced that they cannot be worked wrong. Just about the time I am going to give instructions on how........bing,bang, boom....a decent fish grabs hold and the fight is on. I agree that some advice is somewhat necessary for certain lures, but when it comes down to an active fish, you could probably burn a steel toed boot across the surface and he /or she would hit it. Lets not try to make rocket science out of a sport that requires as much luck as winning the next Powerball drawing. Not that some knowledge won't help, but lets not go overboard. Time on the water, and being at the right place at the right time are your best bets.
sworrall
Posted 8/18/2006 10:25 PM (#205658 - in reply to #205636)

Still, working a Weagle can be interesting and there's good information as to how to really make one rock in this thread and others like it. I saw 5 tonight all on the Weagle; every one followed the bait some, 3 tried to hit, but missed...if they really wanted the bait, I'd have had them pinned up. TJ never had a sniff on a Top Raider. I was working the Weagle as described above, and that moved fish. The slow side to side wasn't working tonight.
Donnie3737
Posted 8/19/2006 7:20 AM (#205675 - in reply to #205452)

As most have said, "you can work them just about any way." I have found that the Weagle, Homewrecker, Jackpot, or Hughes River Top Prey are best worked with short hard snaps, but by dropping the rod tip back instantly, I've been able to keep the lure in ONE PLACE for 2-4 minutes, while triggering a muskie "far from the boat" versus getting them to come close, and spooking away. This last trip to Eagle I had a decent fish actually sit behind a bait for an eternity, (probably 3 minutes) and she finally couldn't take the bait just going back and forth, not away from here....she coiled, ate it, and we caught her. It was neat to watch. Weston has become an expert at it, and Colton's is right behind him.

Just me two cents worth!!

Donnie
Ranger
Posted 8/19/2006 2:36 PM (#205712 - in reply to #205452)

Don't know the weagle, but I know my jackpot.

For me, I'm looking for a heavy "sploosh! sploosh!" all the way back to the boat. No wimpy just-side-to-side will do. I need that beeeaaatch to really move the water, and I'm not kidding, I gotta have the heavy sploosh deal. Like the bait is just trying to dive every time, so lots of wood in the water. Requires a shorter fast action rod and a fast reel, I'm snapping the rod straight down all the time, rod tip can't ever be in the water that slows me down. Fast and loud all the way back. I use a 10" flouro leader with 80# Powerpro, the line never has time to sink.

Funny thing - you should see how smaller (20-30") pike hit the bait when played this way. They come up from straight under and sometimes will carry the bait a couple feet up into the air. Little titan missles.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)