Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> musky quick strike rigs

Message Subject: musky quick strike rigs
nathan
Posted 8/7/2006 5:17 PM (#204063)
Subject: musky quick strike rigs

Other than suckers, what else have you guys used on a quick strike rig before? In addition to musky I also fish for flathead and I was wondering if a quick strike rig would work. Usually I fish w/ bluegill, but also use shad, drum perch, and even channel for bait. I'm looking for one that I can cast a moderate distance w/o the bait flying off while keeping it alive longer than my traditional single hook. Thanks for any tips you guys have.
RUMBLEFISH
Posted 8/7/2006 5:26 PM (#204066 - in reply to #204063)
Subject: RE: musky quick strike rigs

We tried to quick rig a couple of shad , we snagged them while casting schools of baitfish . Not shure if the shad aren't hearty enough or the trauma of being the slightest " thump " at the end of the 80 lb. power pro but they didn't last very long !!! Other than that , only sucker's !!! Have you tried making your own that would fit your needs ??? Just a thought , we make our own rigs and leaders , if you have the right tools and equipment ( crimpers , swivels , hooks , etc ... ) it's pretty easy . Good luck !!

Edited by RUMBLEFISH 8/7/2006 5:27 PM
Jim L
Posted 8/8/2006 1:51 PM (#204196 - in reply to #204063)

I talked to a guy who brought a fish into Fittante in Antigo. Fittante told him that bullheads were the most common fish he found in the stomachs of muskies brought into him. This was several years ago.

Bullheads are very hardy so they might be an excellent choice for quick strike rigs and they could be used in warmer weather.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 8/9/2006 11:23 PM (#204404 - in reply to #204063)

Does anyone sell bullheads though as bait? Minoqua? Hayward? anywhere?
Ranger
Posted 8/10/2006 7:30 PM (#204513 - in reply to #204063)

A local flathead cat master uses bullheads as bait. Once, as a kid, wading and spearing dogfish at night, I speared a 14" bullhead and threw it up on shore. Like 11:00 pm. That fish was still alive at noon the next day, laying in the sun. Toughest critter next to a snapping turtle.
Shep
Posted 8/11/2006 9:36 AM (#204603 - in reply to #204513)

I use perch, bluegills and crappies for pike, deadsticking, or through the ice. Wayne Gutsch told me the muskies on the Chip consider crappies to be candy. They love them! Never caught a crappie there, so I haven't tested this theory..

Edited by Shep 8/11/2006 9:37 AM
RobMyers
Posted 8/12/2006 9:40 AM (#204716 - in reply to #204404)

To my knowledge, I don't think anyone does and am not sure if it's legal to do so. I'd give one of the shops up there a call and find out.
Rob
Pete Stoltman
Posted 8/12/2006 11:23 AM (#204720 - in reply to #204063)

In Wisconsin you may use gamefish as bait as long as it meets minimum length limits and counts toward your daily bag limit. I don't know any shops in the area that sell anything other than suckers or larger chubs that would be suitable for musky bait.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)