Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Filling reel spool

Message Subject: Filling reel spool
dhacker
Posted 8/14/2006 10:57 AM (#204920)
Subject: Filling reel spool

Question - how much and what poundage mono do you guys use for filler spool line? I have heard up to 50% of the reel on a Calcutta 400 then put braided on the rest. I have usually put braided on the whole reel. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Don
IAJustin
Posted 8/14/2006 11:12 AM (#204925 - in reply to #204920)
Subject: RE: Filling reel spool

no need to put more than 70 -80 yards of braided line on for casting applications. definately put some momo backing on... I have a cheap spool of mono 17 lbs 1000 yards for 10 bucks. (about same dia. as my 80 -100 superbraid) .....also you will get more bang for your buck if you just "flip" your line after one season ...or half-season if you fish alot.
dogboy
Posted 8/14/2006 11:42 AM (#204928 - in reply to #204920)

I have found that using smaller diameter mono, such as 10lb test doesnt let your braided line burry as much into the spool, I started using 20-30lb for this, but the spooling of your superbraid would be rough and uneven. But I fill the spool about 1\3 the way and then the rest of the way with your superbraid.
I had also heard of a guy taking elctrical tape and filling his spool up instead of using mono, he said it never slipped and was easier than messing around with mono. never tried it yet, just another thought.
lambeau
Posted 8/14/2006 11:52 AM (#204929 - in reply to #204920)

you can also split a cork ring of the proper size and put it around the spool as a space filler.
musie! nut
Posted 8/14/2006 12:02 PM (#204930 - in reply to #204920)

If you plan to use the reel for trolling, then plan on covering the arbor with mono a couple of passes back & forth and the rest with super line. I heard one guy was trolling and hooked a big fish and the knot that joined the super/mono lines broke. He now fills his spools.

i tend to fill the spool with at least 125 yds. I find that if I split a 150 yd spool, by the time I retie a couple of times (I make rather long casts at times) I need more line. Of course what was said, flip the line after it get worn out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)