Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Embedded Hook Tip

Message Subject: Embedded Hook Tip
husky_jerk
Posted 8/14/2006 6:22 PM (#204991)
Subject: Embedded Hook Tip

Last week on a trip my partner caught a nice 43 inch fish that I happily netted for him. As I was reaching into the net to see what the situation was the fish jumped straight up and came straight back down with the hook of a manta buried deep into my thumb. The fish, still hooked and rather gree, was thrashing from time to time and thenmercifully and miraculously came unbuttoned. (which would unfotunately be the theme of the trip.) After releasing the fish(my greedy partner was bellyaching about no picture) I looked at my bad situation. The hook was buried up to the bend, way past the barb. Now that the fish was off, it wasn't too bad, just a dull ache. I was a long way from a hospital and there was no way to cut the hook so.......
We putted back to base. Tied some fishing line around the base of the treble and yanked HARD. It was not painless but saved me a long trip to the hospital and got me back on the water in no time. Make sure the line is secured tightly as you don't want any slipping or second tries, believe me. Also, save mono for another application and use heavy line. I'm sure most on this site know of this trick but thought I would share as there are new people to the site everyday.

P.S. Don't try this if you get one in say, you're nose or nads. But if it's just a finger, it works.

hj
Muskyboy99
Posted 8/14/2006 8:48 PM (#205010 - in reply to #204991)
Subject: RE: Embedded Hook Tip

o man i had he same thing happen to me only i was fishing bass and i caught a little pike on a skitter walk and he was floppin around on the floor and snagged me right in the shin luckily it wasnt deep but it was past the barb.
Dr Hook
Posted 8/14/2006 9:38 PM (#205012 - in reply to #204991)

Make sure that you carry rubbing alcohol or some kind of disinfectant in your first aid kit and pump as much of it as you can into the hole. Many times more harm is done from infection than from the hook itself.
I carry a mega-stocked first aid kit that people are amused by....until they need something from it.
Muskie Bob
Posted 8/14/2006 10:02 PM (#205015 - in reply to #204991)

Good reminder...it can happen fast. Last summer a mid 30 incher managed to flop as I was reaching to unhook it. Fortunately or unfortunately, the hook ripped through my finger (next to little finger). Needless to say, I wanted to cry, but there wasn't anyone around to give me attention.....and it did hurt. I'm even more careful today.

One thing I've heard about similar situations is concern about bacteria from lake water. Regardless of a hook or cut, one must be sure to clean (and keep clean) any opening exposed from lake water. Infection could be worst than the actual hook.

Several years ago I tried to back out a hook for a friend that had a bass lure in his finger. I couldn't make it work. You were lucky, and must be tough.

I merely wanted to remind others that bacteria from lake water is something to be concerned about.....keep it clean.

Muskie Bob

marine_1
Posted 8/15/2006 10:38 AM (#205067 - in reply to #204991)

Here's a good link with a visual of the procedure. (2nd One)

http://www.simplesurvival.net/hooks.htm
RiverMan
Posted 8/15/2006 11:25 AM (#205079 - in reply to #204991)

I tried this once with a 3/0 treble, couldn't get it loose, #*^@ near killed me! I went to the doc, he numbed my finger which was the best thing ever, and then he had a heck of a time getting it out....the barb just wouldn't let go.

RM
esoxlazer
Posted 8/16/2006 3:28 PM (#205297 - in reply to #204991)

I have been reading more stories involving getting hooked lately, so you would think that Id be extra careful when unhooking a pike today. Nope. Got one on the inside of my thumb with the pike still attached. It went ballistic and tore the hook right back out so at least I didnt have to resort to the line trick or pushing it through. Still sucked to be on the losing end of that one. It seems like its always the small ones that cause the most problems. Gotta run for another peroxide bath.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)