Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Weather conditions

Message Subject: Weather conditions
Fisher
Posted 7/7/2006 7:31 AM (#199638)
Subject: Weather conditions

How would you fish this weekend with this weather pattern? LOTW is the lake, Angle portion. I will only be fishing Saturday and Sunday. I would love to fish today and tonight!!!

Friday- 90 - hot and chance of storms wind SW
Saturday - 83 - clear and windy from W
Sunday - 77 - clear and windy from NW
Monday - Full moon.

Any info would be great.
Thanks
esox50
Posted 7/7/2006 7:45 AM (#199644 - in reply to #199638)
Subject: RE: Weather conditions

I'll be up on LOTW in a week or so, here's what I would do if faced with those conditions.

Saturday and Sunday called for high winds, I'd definately fish the wind blown portion of reefs, islands, etc. Hopefully, the more active fish will be in the wind as this sounds like classic post frontal conditions. I'd also toss around cranks with a bunch of rips and twitches thrown into the retrieve to try and entice a strike or plain old reaction.

If that doesn't work I'd find a good looking bay with decent weeds (not matted on the surface, relatively deep water nearby, topping out just below sometimes at the surface, but with plenty of casting lanes and pockets) and pound the crud out of it. Twitch baits over the weeds, spinnerbaits through 'em, jerkbaits, shallow bulldawgs maybe. I'd even try casting the inside weedline in addition to the flat. If nothing there, try pulling out to the deep weed edge and throwing deep diving cranks over the top of the weeds, make sure to rip the bait during the retrieve and especially as the bait makes its ascent to boat.
Fisher
Posted 7/7/2006 1:38 PM (#199748 - in reply to #199638)

Thanks for the info.
What type of cranks?
Shallow invaders, jakes or depth raiders?
Any more info would be great.
Thanks
esox50
Posted 7/7/2006 11:45 PM (#199858 - in reply to #199638)

Cranks on the rocks try big Jakes, Shallow Invaders for sure, and maybe a Big Game or similarly bouyant bait. Depending on how deep the rocks are, banging deep diving cranks like DRs, Slammers, etc. could be effective. Or, you could cover both the shallow parts, then pull out a little deeper and work the break with deep divers.

For in the weeds, can't seem to beat the bouyant Big Games. Could splash around a Shallow Invader, I believe that's how Gregg Thomas got a 53" (I think, 50+ anyway) up on the Woods a couple years ago. The Big Games can be worked faster and take less of an effort to get moving/dancing.

Cranking the edges or deeper weeds I like Slammers. Good buoyancy, RIDICULOUS wobble and thump, and back up upon contact with structure. Could try a Believer (I don't throw em much, but) on the deep setting. Again, key characteristics being buoyancy and vibration.

Have fun, report back to us on how you do will ya?
esox50
Posted 7/7/2006 11:46 PM (#199859 - in reply to #199638)

Ooops...

Edited by esox50 7/7/2006 11:47 PM
esox50
Posted 7/7/2006 11:46 PM (#199860 - in reply to #199638)

Right... anyway. TTT...

Edited by esox50 7/7/2006 11:47 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)