Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Sonar Interferance?

Message Subject: Sonar Interferance?
jlb66
Posted 6/20/2006 1:44 AM (#197077)
Subject: Sonar Interferance?

I use to have both of my sonars and my GPS all hooked up to the starting battery in my boat. What happened I was getting interferance on my dash unit. So I bought another deep cycle battery and hooked my dash unit directly to that battery and I have nothing else running to that battery but I'm still getting interferance.

I works fine until I start going over 8mph or the depths get deeper than 20 feet then BOOM 874 feet then the flashing depth symbol, until I stop then most of the time it catches up but there have been many times when I've had to shut the unit off and turn it back on and then sometimes it won't correct it self but most times it does.

Now keep in mind I don't have any other sonars on when this happens so I know it's not cone interferance. I have no power wires touching any other wires under the dash and it has it's own battery and I cleaned the battery posts and connections about 5 times since last year. I'm stumped and sick of not being able to see what I'm going over when running to my fishing spots. Can anyone help and give my some advice on why this unit is running interferance? Please?

Edited by jlb66 6/20/2006 1:45 AM
theedz155
Posted 6/20/2006 5:30 AM (#197097 - in reply to #197077)
Subject: RE: Sonar Interferance?

If your other unit is off and you're still getting the same type of interference, it sounds like one of two problems to me.

Something with the transducer. Either mounting location (through the hull, transom etc), mounting problems (could there be an air pocket under the transducer if it's through the hull) or bad transducer. Or, do you have the sensitivity turned up high enough?

I know that I used to have problems with and old Humminbird on one of my old boats. But that locator was just plain garbage in the first place.

Just some ideas that you may have overlooked. It just doesn't sound like a wiring problem to me.

Scott

Edited by theedz155 6/20/2006 5:30 AM
sworrall
Posted 6/20/2006 10:18 AM (#197157 - in reply to #197097)

It's definitely a trasnducer problem by your definition. If the transducer is mounted where the water off the rear of the boat doesn't flow over it smoothly, it will do exactly as you describe. Lay a straight edge on the boat bottom, and make sure the transducer is even with the running bottom and then VERY slightly tipped towards the rear, about 3 degrees, to catch the water flow. Also, make sure there isn't a rivet line or other obstruction that will cause bubbles and turbulence in the way. If it's mounted through hull, it's not reading through the hull material well and needs to be moved or set to the transom on the outside.
jlb66
Posted 6/21/2006 1:13 AM (#197307 - in reply to #197157)

Thanks for the replys. I know it hangs a little low in the water so if it's to low it may cause this problem? So how close to the outboard can it be without running into interferance from that?
The Yeti
Posted 6/21/2006 1:55 PM (#197383 - in reply to #197077)

i have one mounted a foot from the right side of my motor...i moved it up cuz it was getting the aformentioned interference from cavitation in my aluminum hull and it performed better.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)