Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Unusually cool summer keeping water temps much lower than usual.

Message Subject: Unusually cool summer keeping water temps much lower than usual.
shootist
Posted 8/12/2013 8:49 AM (#656904)
Subject: Unusually cool summer keeping water temps much lower than usual.

I have a two part question here:
With the unusually low temps across the Midwest this summer, water temps at lakes such as Kinkaid and Cave Run are running much cooler than normal. This past week, reports I was getting from Kinkaid had it in the upper 70's to low 80's. this week coming up, it will cool down much more. The air temperature is not supposed to get out of the upper 70's from Wednesday through Saturday, and the low temp is in the mid 50's. obviously the water temp is going solid into the 70's by Saturday. So, is it safe to target musky (assuming the temps do what I'm expecting).

Question 2, if it is safe to fish them, will it be effective? Would they be likely to feed this early in the year? Obviously with fishing, one never knows for sure, but what would common logic suggest?
hawkeye9
Posted 8/12/2013 9:22 AM (#656916 - in reply to #656904)
Subject: RE: Unusually cool summer keeping water temps much lower than usual.

I was on Kinkaid on Friday (bass fishing). Surface temps have been right at or just below the 80 degree mark in the mornings, but the water column is still warm (I didn't have a temperature probe with me, but I jumped in the water in a couple of different locations and it "felt" awefully warm). I'm still gonna wait this out for a while, especially with the loss of fish we experienced last year. But I do agree that we likely will be at safe temps earlier than usual.

That said, fish eat all summer long. So is it possible to target them? Yep. I'll error on the side of caution for a while...and hope lots of others will do the same (or at very least take serious precautions in handling fish).
MuskyMATT7
Posted 8/12/2013 11:49 AM (#656945 - in reply to #656904)
Subject: Re: Unusually cool summer keeping water temps much lower than usual.

I think Hawkeye hit it right on the head. Muskies have no thermal refuge (with sufficient O2 levels) in which to recover after a release even with the cooler temperatures. I will be sticking with bass for a while longer.
Posted 8/12/2013 1:43 PM (#656972 - in reply to #656904)

Muskie are a warmwater fish, and they are extremely active in warm water, as long as there is sufficient O2. I am not advocating that you should fish for them in 80+ water, but they are certainly active and feeding.
Posted 8/14/2013 9:54 AM (#657332 - in reply to #656904)

Water temps on Cave Run this week were 73 in the mornings and around 79 by late afternoon. There were a lot of people fishing for musky so I'm assuming it is safe with temps that low.
PGreg
Posted 8/14/2013 11:42 AM (#657359 - in reply to #657332)

I also heard those fish being caught on the Cave have been observed to have expanded bladders? That can't be too good for the fish?
Posted 8/14/2013 12:39 PM (#657378 - in reply to #656904)

Generally the water temps on the Cave are in the mid 70's in September with that being the case why is it ok to fish for musky then and not in the same water temps in August. Do the fish have calenders that say we will have expanded bladders because it's August. I just don't buy it, if the water temps are in the 70's it doesn't matter what month it is, it shouldn't be hard on the fish.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)