Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Reel Preference

Message Subject: Reel Preference
Big Perc
Posted 6/4/2006 8:57 PM (#194887)
Subject: Reel Preference

So as many of you know already I had my two primary rods taken from my car in the night when someone broke in and took them not 10 feet from my house in my own drive way. I have some graduation money from graduating college of about $500. most of it I am going to save but some of it will help to get me a new reel. Many people have amde offers to help out and I will take most of you up on those offers for the time being. But when the time comes that I do buy a reel I was wondering what you guys thought about the Diawa Luna vs. the Shimano Calcutta B. I had an Original Calcutta and a Calcutta TE both model 400. I absolutely loved my CTE400 and was devastated by the loss of that. But life goes on and the bottom line is I need a reel. I can't afford $349.99 as that reel was my only christmas gift one year. I can however afford the $200-$230 price range for reel and would prefer the Luna or Calcutta B. What are your guys thoughts, likes, dislikes, about both or either one individually. Thanks again to all who have been so helpfull in offering me to use some equipment for the summer. You guys know who you are and have no idea how much it means to me to have people like you there.

Matt "Big Perc" Percival

Edited by Big Perc 6/4/2006 9:04 PM
BenR
Posted 6/4/2006 10:04 PM (#194903 - in reply to #194887)
Subject: RE: Reel Preference

Hey Matt, I sold my TE's because after using the Luna there was not comparison. I now have all lunas and have about 40 days on the water with them with no complaints...reel tight, strong reel...take a luna and TE in your hands and play with the handles and such..You will see how much tighter the Luna is...really have been impressed...Ben
Slime King
Posted 6/5/2006 9:51 AM (#194955 - in reply to #194887)

Second vote for the Luna, I've got two and they are nicer than my calcutta 400's.
A-ROZ
Posted 6/5/2006 11:50 AM (#194974 - in reply to #194887)

I love my two st. croix AC300's, they are by far the nicest reels i've ever used
reelman
Posted 6/5/2006 12:53 PM (#194991 - in reply to #194887)

Perc, If money is an issue for you I would suggest not buying the most expensive reels out there. Yes they are nice but I think taking the $500 and buying 3 combos in different leangths and actions is a better idea then buying one combo.
sputterbug
Posted 6/5/2006 12:54 PM (#194992 - in reply to #194887)

Matt,

I think the Luna's are great (buddy has one) but I'm a lefty and they don't have those yet. I have a TE which I really like and this year have been using the new Abu Record 61 (added a power handle). It's awesome, versatile, and should last quite a while. For the money, it's hard to beat. Nothing has the torque of the TE but the Abu Record 60 with a power handle on an 8' Avid does great with even big crankbaits and hard-pulling bucktails, plus has the higher gear ratio for gliders, etc.
BALDY
Posted 6/5/2006 1:38 PM (#194999 - in reply to #194992)

between those 2, get the Luna. Hold them in your hands and you can feel the difference in quality.
ulbian
Posted 6/5/2006 7:12 PM (#195039 - in reply to #194887)

I wasn't going to be the one to initially speak up about the ABU Records but they are definately worth checking out. Reasonably priced for what they are and are as smooth as a calcutta. With a quality guy like Chuck Nelson looking at this site and easy to reach if you ever have a question with them or if something is amiss he's been willing to help guys out. Ran into him this weekend and he took a look at a reel I had a loose handle on, took care of it right then and there. Couldn't ask for anything more and with attention to issues like that, as long as Chuck is affiliated with the company I've got no reason to switch into anything else...and those reels are incredible. Anyone looking for 2 6501c3's or 2 5501c3's? lol... With a few Records in my arsenal I don't forsee those reels being used as much since everything about the Record is nice and they are very enjoyable and comfortable to fish with.

-Bob
uptown
Posted 6/5/2006 9:24 PM (#195059 - in reply to #194887)

I have a Luna and many TE's, I have to say,the Luna's are really nice. However, after two trips mine is already starting to feel "choppy". We will have to what time brings. I also have an Abu Chrome Rocket that I have been using to toss some bigger stuff. I really Love that reel! I wasn't thinking that I would like it as much as I do!
Joe
Steve Jonesi
Posted 6/7/2006 8:07 AM (#195278 - in reply to #194887)

Luna-Machined from solid bar stock aluminum.More metal, especially the line guide.
Calcutta 400B-cast aluminum frame with more plastic(line guide in particular) than a $220 reel should have.I'd go with the Luna. Steve
RiverMan
Posted 6/14/2006 12:41 AM (#196236 - in reply to #194887)

I wanted to try a luna some time ago and they aren't offering a left hand retrieve? Geez.

jed v.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)