Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Everyone - What is your most productive bait?

Message Subject: Everyone - What is your most productive bait?

Posted 8/27/2001 9:37 PM (#4741)
Subject: Everyone - What is your most productive bait?

What is the bait that has simply put the most fish in your boat?

For me - it is a Joe's Bucktail - hands down. My Grandpa was a Slim Jim bucktail fanatic. He only needed a couple of baits when he went out musky fishing. A couple of Suicks and a couple of bucktails. The love for the thin haired bucktail with the large fluted Colorado blade was passed on to me by my Dad. Finding these baits can be difficult. That is until I stopped into Pasitka's in Hayward one day. I ran across a bucktail made by Joe Jasek (famous guide on the Chippewa Flowage). I liked the profile but wanted a different blade. I called Joe and he agreed to make me some with #8 fluted colorado blades. Time after time, these bucktails have put fish into my boat. My best color is brown squirrel hair with a chrome blade.

Your turn!

Posted 8/28/2001 7:38 AM (#11316)

8" Believers. Any color as long as it's perch. I troll with them and have caught most of my fish with them. Buck Perry's spoonplugs are also very good.

Posted 8/28/2001 7:54 AM (#11319)

Not sure what my overall most productive lure has been. If I check the log book... it will probably be the bucktail. However, I think it is all a matter of personal style. In the 80's I'd have said the Bobbie was my best, in the 90's I'd have said the Hawg Wobbler (did a lot of night fishing) and for the start of 2000 I'd say crankbaits (a special Bagley DB-08 to be precise) has been my #1 ticket.

I think it is a matter of where, how, and when you fish that will drive everyone's answers....

jlong

Posted 8/28/2001 8:04 AM (#11320)

My top producers have always been Depthraiders from the first time I threw the prototype fishing with Joe years ago, They have not only produced some nice Muskie's but some tremendous Walleye,Bass,Northern and Salmon as well.

Posted 8/28/2001 8:28 AM (#11324)

For the past 6 or 7 years, without question, it has been the 10" Jake (or its predecessor the 9" Grannie). I could always count on the Jake to produce when the going got tough. But this year, we're fishing some really wierd conditions (extended periods of record heat, bright sun, record low water levels, and accelerated weed growth) and my results with the Jakes have been a little disappointing. This year, it has been the big custom spinnerbaits made by George Taylor or my own somewhat larger version that have produced both the numbers and larger fish. In clutch situations, I have been going to the 6" jointed Muskie Stalker (Drifter Tackle) on very short lines, and it has proven itself quite effective at saving the day on many occasions. I am curious to see if these trends hold up into the fall and cold water period, or if (hopefully with some significant rainfall) we will see some return to more seasonal activity levels and lure preferences.

Steve Wickens

Posted 8/28/2001 8:50 AM (#11321)

Scott
For me that is a simple answer, Lipless crankbaits RattleTraps or Rattlin'Shad. I have over 300 fish on these baits that were once thought of as a early season lure only but has been producing yearround for those who throw it. In fact Sunday night I witnessed 2 muskies taken on these baits in 81 degree water temps. I start fishing them in late winter in 45 degree water and my best production is from 50 to 62 degrees.
Tony Grant
KYMUSKIE.COM
MuskieFirst Southern Field Editor

Posted 8/28/2001 4:52 PM (#11328)

Burmeks! Cause no one uses them.

The real truth,what ever the fish want,it changes day to day,week to week,month to month.Sometimes hour to hour.Learn a lure you feel confident in and abuse to hell.No matter who makes it there is a time and place to use it.

One lure is like fishing with a broken arm,no that dont work my daughter has a brokem arm and landed a fish,well maybe both wrist's.[:bigsmile:]

Did you think that you were dreaming?
I said sometimes I dont know!
take care
marc

Posted 8/28/2001 5:24 PM (#11329)

Overall? A bucktail, nickle/blk. A classic and no big surprise.

By category

Bucktail: Blackburn (R.I.P.) French Tail
Crank: 10" Jake
Jerk: Suick
Topwater: Topper Stopper

It all depends on the situation, I guess.

Jono

Posted 8/28/2001 5:47 PM (#11314)

JohnMD, Depthraiders for Salmon???, now you got me thinking. LOL

I Truely believe a crankbait is the most used bait in my boat thru out my season. In spring to fall I pitch twitch baits and cast and troll cranks in the summer. As long as it has a lip, it can be a universal tool in catching muskies when presented right.

Favorites, Slammers, Depthraiders and Bagleys.

Posted 8/29/2001 7:22 AM (#11317)

Jason: Most of the Salmon I'v taken on the big Pond using Depthraiders were Kings, the largest so far is a 24lber with lots of 15-18 and an ocassional heafty Laker. Give a shot some time soon big kings should be showing up about now

Posted 8/29/2001 11:58 AM (#11322)

Radtke's Pike Minnow

Posted 10/3/2001 9:57 AM (#11315)

swim whizz 6", bulfrog

Posted 10/4/2001 11:48 AM (#11323)

9" weighted suick in any possible color including my own custom colorizing.

Posted 10/11/2001 8:29 AM (#11318)

Scott,
You already know for me it's the Top-Raider (the lucky loon). A close second would be the Jerko/Squirko. I've been throwing Joe's bucktails but have not boated anything on them yet.

Gook luck,
Chris

Posted 11/7/2001 2:14 AM (#11330)

I'm changing my mind, I think. I've been doing so well on this shining version of a perch supershadrap lately, it is pierced and scratched so bad, the lacquer is peeling off. I'll put it up as my second favourite, next to my unbeatable swim whizz 6" bulfrog.

Posted 11/9/2001 10:24 AM (#11326)

My best producing lure is a swedish (i live in Sweden) crankbait called Zalt. I have caught many 40 inch on it,it could be jerked or twitched.

Posted 11/9/2001 9:02 PM (#11327)

I am positive that my overall best bait over the years for numbers of fish has been a jig in various shapes and forms. Put 48 legals in the boat on a jig in 1991 far and away my best year. I really believe that the lure depends on a number of factors. Confidence being # 1 in my book. When the fishing is "hot" and the Muskys are agressive a black bucktail with silver or black blades can be hard to beat. When a bad cold front hits I reach for Perch Reef Hawg or maybe a Jerko. These are both favorites of mine. Hard to beat that bucktail for the clients though.
Mike,
Mike's Sure Catch Guide Service
Let Em Go...Let Em Grow.....[;)]

Posted 11/10/2001 2:43 AM (#11331)

My most producing lure is a Swedish (i live there) crankbait called Zalt. My favorite color is parrot.

Posted 11/12/2001 12:16 PM (#11325)

(1.) Black Bucher Tail with a Chartruse blade.
(2.) White, "crappie" patterned Squirely Burt.
(3.) Beleivers (have made a beleiver out of me)

Notice how the baits are ranked from lightest to heaviest:)

Terry Paulson[:blackeye:]
guts
Posted 4/30/2006 1:43 PM (#189581 - in reply to #4741)
Subject: RE: Everyone - What is your most productive bait?

my 8inch reef hawg in florecent green
Derrys
Posted 4/30/2006 3:53 PM (#189587 - in reply to #4741)

When all else fails, I put on an old model 6" Reef Hawg. It seems to draw some action, even on the worst days, and has produced multiple fish days for me.

On September 17th last year, I had tried about everything in my box, with no results. I put this lure on, and on one shoreline had a follow, a strike that didn't get hooked up, and then got to fight a 43" fish for about 30 second before she popped free.

I'm convinced. If it wasn't such a boring way to fish, I'd start every day with this bait. Later.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 4/30/2006 4:28 PM (#189594 - in reply to #189587)

This tread is a blast from the past. 2001 I believe.

I would say the Bagleys crank bait boats more fish each year for me and my clients. Firetiger is the hottest color.
Brett Carroll
Posted 4/30/2006 4:58 PM (#189598 - in reply to #4741)

1) Black 6" Reef Hawg
2) Mepps Musky Killer Gold/Black
3) Ace Tandem Spinnerbait Orange/Black
muskytopwater
Posted 6/2/2006 10:08 AM (#194669 - in reply to #4741)

Musky Innovations - Bulldawgs & Chatterbait & Real Fish Cisco
Bucher - FlutterTail - Shallow Raider - Mogambo Bucktail
Reaction Strike - Home Wrecker
Rapala - Super Shad Rap

ulbian
Posted 6/6/2006 10:02 AM (#195121 - in reply to #4741)

Overall a firetiger lace pacemaker or DDD.
Highest catch rate per hour used, hands down a creepenstein.
AFChief
Posted 6/6/2006 1:26 PM (#195161 - in reply to #4741)

Hands down a Super Shad Rap in Fire Tiger, Gold Shiner or Silver. 50% of my fish have come on this bait and I honestly give everything in my tackle box equal time in the water.
jstelter
Posted 6/6/2006 2:44 PM (#195183 - in reply to #4741)

bucktail-
12" hawg teaser for jerk baits
Nick59
Posted 6/8/2006 8:38 AM (#195484 - in reply to #4741)

Food for thought ... Are these your best lures because you have them in the water the most?

I've had this discussion before. My confidence lure is the old grey/white suick. I have two that are rather chewed up. But... If I thew something else all the time would that be my most productive? Thing that make you say hhhmmmm

Nick
Nick59
Posted 6/8/2006 8:42 AM (#195486 - in reply to #4741)

Food for thought ... Are these your best lures because you have them in the water the most?

I've had this discussion before. My confidence lure is the old grey/white suick. I have two that are rather chewed up. But... If I thew something else all the time would that be my most productive? Thing that make you say hhhmmmm

Nick
Bryce
Posted 6/8/2006 12:28 PM (#195528 - in reply to #4741)

My favorite bait to throw is a 10 inch suick original sucker, specially weighted so it suspends or barely rises
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)