Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Making an Amma Bama Lighter?

Message Subject: Making an Amma Bama Lighter?
A-ROZ
Posted 4/7/2006 9:08 PM (#186318)
Subject: Making an Amma Bama Lighter?

I have an amma bama that sinks too fast and therefore is almost impossible to use. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on making it lighter or something?? Or is it junk? Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thank You!
jyoung
Posted 4/7/2006 9:26 PM (#186324 - in reply to #186318)
Subject: RE: Making an Amma Bama Lighter?

A-Roz,
I met Bill Looney several years ago and he told me that if I had a problem with his baits that I could send them back to him and he would make the necessary repairs.
His site is http://ammabama.com/
you can also email him at [email protected]
A-ROZ
Posted 4/7/2006 9:45 PM (#186328 - in reply to #186324)

Jyoung: Thanks for the post. I was thinking about that, however i got this particular one for free from him so i felt kinda weird asking him to fix it. I was thinking of maybe drilling a hole in it and filling it with some type of boyant material... foam maybe?? LOL, maybe its just better off the way it is before i try to "fix" it.

Let 'em go let 'em grow
jyoung
Posted 4/8/2006 12:13 PM (#186391 - in reply to #186318)

A-Roz,
Did you try messing around with different hooks, you know different sizes or even different manufacturers.
Sometimes if you mess around with hooks you can get a different rate of fall or action from a bait.
There are times when you can't do anything to help a bait, a friend of mine has another drop belly bait that just drops like a rock and nothing helped that bait.
Jeff

Edited by jyoung 4/8/2006 12:15 PM
mikie
Posted 4/8/2006 3:02 PM (#186399 - in reply to #186318)

I was gonna do something drastic like drilling one of my baits and was advised to try changing out the hooks, first. I changed to smaller, lighter hooks and the problem disappeared - now that bait is one of my favorites. Try that first, I know Bill and I'm sure he won't mind how you got it, just that you are happy with it. Contact him if it is still not to your liking. m
Musky Snax
Posted 4/9/2006 9:25 AM (#186490 - in reply to #186318)

Here's the thing with what you are wanting to do... If you just drill out some of the lead (provided you know WHERE to drill) the baits weight will now be to much towards the centre and not in the belly. This will cause the bait to tend to roll over onto its back or just plain do nothing.

If you are wanting to drill the bait out, carefully drill out ALL the lead in the 2 holes you are drilling. Drill out one near the head and one near the tail.....then put some plastic wood filler or foam etc into the hole until you've maybe filled in the first 1/3 rd of the hole. Now melt in some lead with pliers and a blow torch a bit at a time and test the bait for balance in a tub of water until you get the sink rate you wanted and the bait sinks horizontally.

The important part is making sure that the bait sinks level and that the weighting is mostly in the belly or at least not too much towards the centre line or it will roll like a top heavy iceberg.

Hope this helps.
A-ROZ
Posted 4/14/2006 12:05 AM (#187395 - in reply to #186318)

Ok thanks for the info guys, i think i will try the hooks first. Sounds like it would take a lot of work to mess with the actual weighting of the bait. Hopefully switching to smaller hooks will do the trick.

Thanks
Musky Snax
Posted 4/14/2006 6:57 AM (#187401 - in reply to #186318)

Depending on the width of the gap in the hooks you go with, the body of the bait may interfere with getting the points into the fish. Here's a tip to make sure that you can still hook up into the fishes mouth...

Drop the hooks down on an extra set of split rings. That way the points of the hooks will be exposed further.
A-ROZ
Posted 4/14/2006 7:26 AM (#187402 - in reply to #186318)

Hey thanks again Snax, thats a great idea... i was afraid of the same thing. I will definitely give that a try!!

A-ROZ
muskynightmare
Posted 4/15/2006 7:38 PM (#187599 - in reply to #186318)

A-Roz,
How are those blanks that I gave you coming along?
Rob
A-ROZ
Posted 4/15/2006 10:26 PM (#187616 - in reply to #186318)

Rob:
Got the blanks painted, just need to get some kind of clear on them. Can you send me that email address again, i tried to email him but got it back with an error message. I think they turned out ok for my first attempts, I will send you some pictures once i have them completed. Thanks again!!

Alex
muskynightmare
Posted 4/15/2006 11:03 PM (#187617 - in reply to #186318)

Here is Shane West's E-mail. In my honest opinion, he is the best painter/ clear coater/ glider builder in the business today.
[email protected]

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)