Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Paper or Plastic ?

Message Subject: Paper or Plastic ?
Doug Bradley
Posted 3/1/2006 10:54 PM (#180429)
Subject: Paper or Plastic ?

What do you prefer you're baits to be made out of? WOOD, HOLLOW PLASTIC or SOLID PLASTIC or IT DOES"NT MATTER AS LONG AS IT CATCHES FISH...... And how important is THROUGH WIRE CONSTRUCTION to you compared to SCREW EYES.........Doug
theedz155
Posted 3/2/2006 4:39 AM (#180435 - in reply to #180429)
Subject: RE: Paper or Plastic ?

Doug
If they work, I suppose it really doesn't matter.
But wood baits, especially the hand crafted ones like yours, will always have a soft spot in my tackle box.

Scott
Posted 3/2/2006 9:22 AM (#180464 - in reply to #180429)

As long as it is durable and stands the test of time. Through wire construction for me is a piece of mind. I have never experienced it but if a lure did start breaking up after the muskie has ate it, I can't help but think you'll lose that fish. I know that old lures like the mudpuppy are designed to do that. The through wires are not designed to break up thus not knowing how they will.
snaggletooth
Posted 3/2/2006 10:31 AM (#180472 - in reply to #180429)

Doug,

There is the issue of her sharp teeth puncturing into the wood, even thru a couple of coats of polyurethane, and this "latching-on" interferes with driving the hooks into the jaw for a firm hookset.

Hard plastic baits resist this puncturing better than wood and slide thru her jaws easier than wood for a quicker, firmer hookset.

That said, I still buy, and will continue to buy, wood baits for their unique shapes, actions, and colors.
But, if I can buy the same action and color in a hard plastic bait, I will prefer that material to wood to augment my chances of getting the fish into the net.

I do understand that its very expensive to have molds made for hard plastic, injection molded baits.

Chuck C.
CiscoKid
Posted 3/2/2006 11:05 AM (#180476 - in reply to #180429)

It don't matter as long as it catches fish. You can argue that muskies sink there teeth into wood and not plastic, but I get plenty of fish that sink there teeth into the plastic (hollow bodies or solid) also.

The nice thing about wood baits compared to hollow plastic is the ability to weight them with lead.
jlong
Posted 3/2/2006 11:57 AM (#180491 - in reply to #180476)

CiscoKid - 3/2/2006 11:05 AM

It don't matter as long as it catches fish.

The nice thing about wood baits compared to hollow plastic is the ability to weight them with lead.

C'mon Travis.... we all know it is possible to weight Hollow Plastic. Been doing it for years.

I'm a charlie cheap @ss, so durability is key attribute for any lure I purchase. Thus, I'll favor plastic if the option is there. If not... I have no problems fishing with wood.

jlong
CiscoKid
Posted 3/2/2006 12:00 PM (#180495 - in reply to #180429)

Sure it's possible. Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Some are easier than others though. If the chambers are too small it becomes a hassle. The only thing you have to worry about with wood is drilling into a screw eye that is angled. Stupid screw eye!

Edited by CiscoKid 3/2/2006 12:00 PM
Doug Bradley
Posted 3/2/2006 2:25 PM (#180542 - in reply to #180429)

I understand what all of you are saying and appreciate the info. In many cases I feel the same as all of you. And to all reading this please do'nt be afraid to leave a comment, I am looking for opinions from people new to the sport along with the seasoned veterans. Everyones opinion is welcome, needed and important to me. Thanks Doug
Beaver
Posted 3/2/2006 2:56 PM (#180556 - in reply to #180429)

Wood.
Hard wood with magnum screw eyes.
Never had one come out yet. Had a Suick break into pieces once, but the front screw eye stayed in the lure.
Really haven't used plastic except for cranks. I guess that's because I'm a Beaver and have a liking for wood.
Beav

Edited by Beaver 3/2/2006 6:58 PM
sputterbug
Posted 3/5/2006 12:07 AM (#180832 - in reply to #180556)

Doug,

I like the cool paint jobs and clear coat of wood, but I'm not sure the fish care too much. Main thing is the action and/or sound that gives me confidence, which happens with a variety of baits and materials: Pacemaker, Bitten Shaker, jointed Depthraider, Believer, Suick, Shallow Invader, and more. Hooking percentage and durability are also very important. If you have those with a unique bait with great action and sound it's a winner for me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)