Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> I look, but cannot see.

Message Subject: I look, but cannot see.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 2/26/2006 12:47 PM (#179703)
Subject: I look, but cannot see.

I know sunglasses are a boring subject, but I've never seen my question answered. I was reading a thread on another board about OceanWaves sunglasses. Guys were raving about how they loved them.

The thing is, I have very poor vision. In the last year or so I had to give up my contact lenses because I need bi-focals. After always being able to get by for reading, my close range vision went to crap when I hit my mid-forties. It seemed to happen in about five minutes. Nobody on the other board had any experience with bi-focal prescription polarized glasses. The web site says they make them.

Anybody have bi-focal prescription shades? Maybe some of you more mature fisherman? I'd love some feedback before I spend a fortune. I hate the clip on things.

Kevin

A plan without bi-focals could become dangerous.

Edited by MuskyHopeful 2/26/2006 12:48 PM
wave walker
Posted 2/26/2006 1:18 PM (#179707 - in reply to #179703)
Subject: RE: I look, but cannot see.

i know about bad eye sight i went thu that see a eye doctor
Mikes Extreme
Posted 2/26/2006 1:25 PM (#179709 - in reply to #179703)

Kevin,

I am interested also. I wear bi-focals also for the last 3 year. I switch off my glasses as needed. It's hard to read the graph with polarized glasses and other things so I switch off glasses.

Now maybe we can get some info on quality bi-focals with polarized lenses. I wish you the best luck this season. Great things to come very soon..............First off will be a picture of you with a muskie so we can see you MuskyHappy.
DEMolishedyou
Posted 2/26/2006 1:38 PM (#179710 - in reply to #179703)

get prescription oakleys
muskihntr
Posted 2/26/2006 1:44 PM (#179711 - in reply to #179703)

contact earl at http://www.h30polarized.com ask him about bifocal perscription inserts for his h30 glasses, i dont use bifocals but i had a pair of rx lens inserts made for his glasses and its one of the best investments ive ever made!!! email him and ask him your bifocal questions, as well as contacting you eye doctor and asking him about some options! my eye doctor helped me alot in making my desision to go with the h30s!
Sponge
Posted 2/26/2006 3:47 PM (#179723 - in reply to #179703)

Edited by Sponge 8/23/2006 9:57 AM
John23
Posted 2/26/2006 4:03 PM (#179724 - in reply to #179703)

Two very good options for prescription polarized glasses:

http://www.heavyglare.com/

The heavy glare guys have custom equipment that lets them put virtually any prescription (no matter how strong) in virtually any frame (even wraps). Note: Costa Del Mar green mirror lenses are very close to the ocean waves lens everyone (including me) likes. The shop is located in St. Paul, MN about a mile from my house. It is an impressive place. I'm thinking heavyglare.com should be part of your plan.

You can also order weaker prescriptions on www.oceanwaves.com

For either options just have your optician fill out the prescription form and mail it in.

John
MuskyHopeful
Posted 2/26/2006 4:23 PM (#179726 - in reply to #179703)

Sponge, glad you're back.

Perhaps I should start slowly on a stationary bicycle? I could focus on my West Highland Terrier and daughter as they move slowly around the basement. That way I could avoid the homicide by negligent use of a vehicle charge that would inevitably result during the early stages of the process. For casting practice possibly a dowel, butcher's twine, and a tennis ball? That way nobody gets hurt, at least not seriously. I may also drink some of the carrot nectar, because like Jack Lalane (sp), I hope to be towing yachts effortlessly behind me well into my twilight years.

Believe me friend, we are talking some serious vision deficiencies here. Ten years ago, before the new lightweight lenses they have now, constant spectacle wearing would have resulted in a neck like Dick the Bruiser's.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I know there are products available. I'd like to hear from someone that wears polarized bi-focals to see how they like them. It seems Mike Koepp is also wondering.

Kevin

The plan thrives on the thoughts of like minded individuals.

Edited by MuskyHopeful 2/26/2006 4:35 PM
Blue Pike
Posted 2/26/2006 5:45 PM (#179736 - in reply to #179703)

I have three pair, one on each boat and one in the truck, they work well for me.
http://www.polarizedoptics.com/bifocal_sunglasses.html
firstsixfeet
Posted 2/26/2006 6:30 PM (#179742 - in reply to #179703)

I considered the problem, and I have blended trifocals for my regular glasses, and my final answer was that my dark sunglasses I got ground single strength-no bifocal. Reasoning was thus, my trifocals hit out of focus at about the step up for my front deck in my boat. I normally am NOT trying to see close up when in the boat, so the single lens strength is fine without problems. If it is darker or growing toward dusk, and I still want polarization, I put on my regular glasses and have glass polarized clipons in amber that I can switch to. My solution might cause problems if you try and tie a knot or something small, but for the most part, even with trifocal prescription, I would probably flip my glasses up and stick my nose on the problem, so this is what I do. I also use the straight prescription for driving. Works good.
muskie! nut
Posted 2/26/2006 6:41 PM (#179744 - in reply to #179703)

I bought a pair of prescription eyeglasses with bifocals. I hated them. When I look down in the water I tend to look thru the bis and it just made things worst. I also got a pair of Costa Del Mar (Sportier?) prescription without the bifocals and I love them. They fit great and are the most comfortable ones I ever owned. About the bifocals, I should tell you that I can barely read the paper without the bifocals and if I need to do close up work, I am able to take of the sunglasses off and get by, you know snap on new baits, cut hooks, etc.

I also got a pair of H3Os with a prescription inserts. This is ok, but they said that I could get without the bifocal in them (which I did). They are used mainly when we get very heavy overcast (or rain) when the Costa are too dark to wear as I have the "smoke" lens in them most of the time.

I know how folks feel as I use to have coke bottles for lenses before my cataracts surgery. I not only had those thick glasses, but usual hung a pair of clip on there as well. I had permanent indents in the bridge of my noses due to all that weight. At one time, I would also throw another pair of wrap around glasses over those regular glasses. Not only did that hurt the bridge of my nose but behind my ears as well. Never again.

If you can invest in a great pair of prescription glasses and take care of them and they will last you a long time.
Posted 2/26/2006 8:35 PM (#179777 - in reply to #179703)

Muskiehopeful,
You can get Bollie Fisherman Series with wrap around frame,get light polycarbinate plastic lenses with 98% polarization,no line Bi-focals,ground in prescription if needed,non glare back lense coating and Crystal scratch resistant outside lense coating.You can get grey or brown colored lenses.Any better Optical Business should be able to order them for you and get the leses you need.

Capt. Larry
firstsixfeet
Posted 2/27/2006 7:26 AM (#179823 - in reply to #179703)

Musky nut sounds like he reached the same conclusion that I did. I had forgotten about follows blurring out with the trifocals, because I so rarely fish without my shades, but he is right about that. I am one also that has a strong prescription. Also if you want wrap arounds of some type, write down the post that has an address for them. Lots of places can grind a lense to fit the frame you like very easily, but many of them do NOT, or are not able to grind for the wrap around shades with greater curvatures.
mikie
Posted 2/27/2006 7:49 AM (#179827 - in reply to #179703)

I just use Fit Overs from Cabelas over my script bifocals, good enough for me.
I just have to remember to take them off for fish photos, like in my avatar.
I get so used to having them on, I use them for driving, too. m
Shep
Posted 2/27/2006 7:58 AM (#179829 - in reply to #179823)

Yep, I also am about to join the ranks of the Bifocal needers. I asked the eye doc about it, and he said to continue wearing my contacts, but when I need to see up close stuff, he said get a pair of 1.5X magnifiers from Wally Mart, and those will work fine. I'll be getting some soon to test them out. Ask your eye doc what poer magnafier glasses you would need, and give it a try.

For you youguns out there. You'll know you are close to the time for needing bifocals, when you look up from your favorite fishing magazine to the TV across the room, and you can actually notice your eyes refocus. That is when you are just a year or two away from needing them. I started to notice about two years ago. Now, I have to hold things at arms length to read it. It's either bifocals, or get an arm extension!

Edited by Shep 2/27/2006 9:29 AM
dougj
Posted 2/27/2006 8:12 AM (#179834 - in reply to #179823)

I have the same problem, in that my usual glasses have bi-focals which I use for close in reading etc. For fishing the bifocals (unless I'm tieing a knot)
are pretty much useless since they don't focus on the water, and only make things worse at the distance you are looking to see a fish in the water.

I would guess if you went to a optometrist and explained what you want to do they could give you a prescription that would allow you to focus at a distance
for driving and seeing at casting distances, and then a bifocal insert that would focus at 10 feet or so to be able to see fish at the boat if that were different
than the long distance lens. Like some of the other folks here I find that bi-focals don't help me see fish at the boat, and mostly hurt.

I really like Sponge's solution, but hate carrot juice. Can I substitute Bloody Mary mix and drink it instead of putting it in my eyes?

Doug Johnson

Edited by dougj 2/27/2006 8:16 AM
firstsixfeet
Posted 2/27/2006 9:29 AM (#179854 - in reply to #179834)

dougj - 2/27/2006 8:12 AM

I have the same problem, in that my usual glasses have bi-focals which I use for close in reading etc. For fishing the bifocals (unless I'm tieing a knot)
are pretty much useless since they don't focus on the water, and only make things worse at the distance you are looking to see a fish in the water.

I would guess if you went to a optometrist and explained what you want to do they could give you a prescription that would allow you to focus at a distance
for driving and seeing at casting distances, and then a bifocal insert that would focus at 10 feet or so to be able to see fish at the boat if that were different
than the long distance lens. Like some of the other folks here I find that bi-focals don't help me see fish at the boat, and mostly hurt.

I really like Sponge's solution, but hate carrot juice. Can I substitute Bloody Mary mix and drink it instead of putting it in my eyes?

Doug Johnson

Only on days of the week that end in Y.
Sponge
Posted 2/27/2006 9:32 AM (#179855 - in reply to #179703)

My problem is I see, but cannot look...go figure;( most often occurs when Spongette is nearby) we have different problems, yet the very same results; some look but cannot see...some see, yet cannot look...must be in the wording? Doug, do what you wish w/ the "mixture", you've earned that right,although I still think you otter try the eye method just once! I can see now that there is a basic yet urgent need in the community for sight remediation, yet thus far it appears that the medical field is clueless, therefore we must take it upon ourselves to find a solution that will satisfy not only our immediate needs, but those that will follow in the years ahead that may face the aforementioned problems, whether through genetics, over consumption of various barleys or pharmacueticals, a stick in the eye, car battery explosion, or just plain inability to focus. I personally have found that a small handful of sour clover ingested a day or 2 before an outing allows me to tune in to me surroundings and at times, actually sense the presence of a fish before I even get there. Doug mentions fish at boatside; if you can't see what yer figure fiving, how do you know when to stop? You don't...one solution is to fish Paul Peck's "MANTRA" a far east version of the "MANTA"; this will allow the fisher peep to focus w/out sight; by simply moving yer body w/ the motion of the bait, no sight is needed. Soon out on the market will be the "PREYING MANTA", an exciting new bait sure to put feesh in the boat; when a fish draws nigh, the bait becomes motionless and draws the hooks up against the body, lashing out and hooking the fish as it passes by, eradicating the need to "see." W/ the vast amount of both mental and technical knowledge on this board, no doubt there are solutions to be found this very day...
ghoti
Posted 2/27/2006 9:49 AM (#179856 - in reply to #179703)

I'm also a bifocal user. Elected to go single vision on the prescription shades and couldn't be happier. Both driving and fishing became less distracting with the single vision. The only pain is remembering to bring my regular pair for the closeup work.
MuskyHopeful
Posted 2/27/2006 12:30 PM (#179875 - in reply to #179703)

As is probably obvious, I am the excitable type. I fear the inner peace required to reach the meditative state most likely required for this no see style of fishing may be outside the boundaries of my personality. For this reason, I will hold the metaphysical solutions to my physical problem in reserve, and pursue the more standard options available. The Preying Manta, however, will be included in the plan when it hits the market.

It appears those that require bi-focals have decided to abandon the bi-focal part of their prescriptions, and just go with the distance fix while fishing. I can see how the bi part of the prescription lense could be a problem as a fish nears the boat and continues following as the bait enters the figure five part of the retrieve.

Maybe I'll handle the situation by wearing the proverbial bucket style fishing hat. In lieu of the hooks and lures associated with this high fashion accessory, I'll attach several pairs of sunglasses, bi-focals, reading cheaters, etc. I wonder if Mr. Worrall has any extra hat bands from his newsman fedoras?

I'll most likely start with one pair of prescription sunglasses without the bi-focal, and see how it works. If anyone sees a fat guy with gray hair trying to tie a fishing knot about 1" from his nose, that will be me.

Kevin

Vision will become more important as the plan progresses on to the water.
FredJ
Posted 2/27/2006 4:28 PM (#179913 - in reply to #179875)

I am on my second pair of prescription polarized sunglasses from Action Optics. www.actionoptics.com

I should be using bi-focals but chose not to yet. Action Optics does make the polarized prescriptions with bi-focals if needed. Before you buy at least check this place out. I have been very satisfied with their products. They will even send you some sample frames to try on before you make your pruchase.

Fred J
muskie! nut
Posted 2/28/2006 5:52 PM (#180145 - in reply to #179703)

I got my Rx Coasta Del Mars thru http://www.polarized.com/ They are in MN. It was the Multi-Sport model. Luv em!
Stan Durst 1
Posted 3/1/2006 5:19 AM (#180222 - in reply to #179703)

I have hardening of the lenses ( my lenses don't focus anymore) I wear bifocals. I get tired of going out in the rain or snow and have to keep cleaning my glasses as they don't come equiped with wipers. When we have an emergency and I am out in traffic in snow and rain storms, you just have a rough time seeing. Anyone with glasses knows what I am saying.
I have contacts ( don't wear them all the time) and I have the freedom of not wearing glasses. to read or see up close I carry reading glasses 2.5 magnification. With my contacts I hunt, fish, drive, or do what I want but if I need to tie a knot I put my reading glasses on, and I use regular polarized sunglasses.

They can set you up with a system that works for you.

Edited by Stan Durst 1 3/1/2006 5:20 AM
Sponge
Posted 3/1/2006 5:41 AM (#180228 - in reply to #179703)

Edited by Sponge 8/23/2006 9:59 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)