Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I'm not against golf, as I suspect it keeps a great quantity of the unworthy from discovering fishing!
- (Added by: mikie)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Chrome Paint

Message Subject: Chrome Paint
Mike
Posted 4/6/2006 10:46 AM (#186027)
Subject: Chrome Paint

I found this stuff in my airbrush catalogue. Check out this multichrome stuff
http://www.alsacorp.com/products/multichrome/multichrome.htm
Looks very cool to me, who cares about the fish, if it moves its food for them

I wish I could buy it in 2 oz bottles though.
RiverMan
Posted 4/6/2006 4:09 PM (#186070 - in reply to #186027)
Subject: RE: Chrome Paint

Looks pretty cool. It says you "dust" it on tho..I wonder what keeps it there once you put it on.

For what it is worth, last night I was cleaning out my garage and came across a can of chrome paint....rattle can. I took a primed bait and sprayed a coating of the stuff on the bait and it looks pefect! For those wanting a simple chrome finish I would recommend trying this. You can buy "chrome" paints in gold or silver in rattle cans. Be sure to get the surface of the lure real smooth because even the tiniest of imperfections shows up in the finish with chrome paints.

jed v.
www.bikinibaitcompany.com
MuskieMike
Posted 4/6/2006 4:45 PM (#186074 - in reply to #186027)

That paint looks really cool, but it is VERY expensive, especially when you consider their base coats, and clear coats are required also. I think I'm leaning towards trying the rattle can version first.
For what it's worth
Posted 4/6/2006 4:51 PM (#186075 - in reply to #186027)

If it's so easy, why aren't you doing it?
When you paint something you are proud of, we hear about it. Hell, your web site is up on the board again.
We have 2 guys that found a new way to give us something different and unique, and you say it's as easy as shaking a can.
I read the instructions that Mike posted, and it seemed like a very complex, time consuming technique. And that's just for chroming what??? Phones? Rims? Model cars? Metal pieces? I missed the part about making it muskie proof. I remember reading that it was expensive and very time consuming.....apparently it is. Look at the price tag on the stuff that Mike posted.
You take your can and do what you can. I'm sending lures to Stan and orders to Beav. I want to see what this is all about.
I'm sure that it's not muskielures in a can. I think that you can make a chrome lure like a Rattletrap that will last for a few days, if you don't hit or catch anything.
So nice that someone from the lure building part of the world would choose to take cheap shots at a new technique and backhandedly at the 2 guys who tried to show it to us.
Beaver
Posted 4/6/2006 5:38 PM (#186082 - in reply to #186027)

Holster those pistols boys.
Jed e-mailed me and told me that he was impressed and liked my new stuff.
I don't think that he was shooting at me.
I agree, you can spray chrome from a can, but getting it to stay on and to find other aspects of making quality muskie lures is the hard part. I have a box full of chrome/blue Rattletraps that I use for bass and walleyes that have to be repainted because they just don't last. That was one prerequisite that Stan and I had when we entered into our little venture.
It's just another color option, and you can't ever have enough options.
Beav
RiverMan
Posted 4/6/2006 6:37 PM (#186088 - in reply to #186027)

For what it's worth,

In case you haven't noticed, lure-building forums are a place to exchange information. I have shared over the years lots of ideas that I have come across in my experimentation that make things faster and easier. In fact I have been accused by some in this lure-making business of giving up "too much information". At the same time, I have learned tons from others willing to share another way of doing things, that's what these forums are about. If I develop a particularly great concept that takes me 30 minutes to complete and someone else finds a way to do it in 5 minutes, by all means please tell me!!!

Is it as easy as shaking a can? Well take a look at the picture I posted. I "chromed" this lure in about 15 seconds. Is it as nice as some of the others posted? Probably not. But is it an easy option for some? Yes it is. And, I am quite confident it will hold up as well as any other paint on the market once it has three coats of quality clear over the top of it.

Cheap shots? I think not. I build lures in my spare time and sell everything I build. I build lures and share information in sites like this one because I enjoy it. And unlike yourself, I don't need to take "cheap shots" at anyone.

Jed V.
RiverMan
Posted 4/6/2006 6:37 PM (#186089 - in reply to #186027)

For what it's worth,

In case you haven't noticed, lure-building forums are a place to exchange information. I have shared over the years lots of ideas that I have come across in my experimentation that make things faster and easier. In fact I have been accused by some in this lure-making business of giving up "too much information". At the same time, I have learned tons from others willing to share another way of doing things, that's what these forums are about. If I develop a particularly great concept that takes me 30 minutes to complete and someone else finds a way to do it in 5 minutes, by all means please tell me!!!

Is it as easy as shaking a can? Well take a look at the picture I posted. I "chromed" this lure in about 15 seconds. Is it as nice as some of the others posted? Probably not. But is it an easy option for some? Yes it is. Note the brick walk-way reflecting off the bottom of the lure. And, I am quite confident it will hold up as well as any other paint on the market once it has three coats of quality clear over the top of it.

Cheap shots? I think not. I build lures in my spare time and sell everything I build. I build lures and share information in sites like this one because I enjoy it. And unlike yourself, I don't need to take "cheap shots" at anyone.

Jed V.

Edited by RiverMan 4/6/2006 6:40 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(chrometurmoil.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments chrometurmoil.JPG (53KB - 161 downloads)
MuskieMike
Posted 4/6/2006 6:44 PM (#186093 - in reply to #186027)

Anonymous posts make me laugh. Nobody is taking cheap shots here at all. The chrome team is very well respected for their talents. I actually just recieved a Black Diamond Perka from Stan Durst, absolutely amazing what these guys are doing with this new process. If somebody wants to rattlecan a bait so be it, will it be as good as the chrome team's version? Probably not. And BTW Jed has told me more about making baits than I ever would have expected from someone whos sells them. All 3 of these guys have my respect because I know just how hard making baits, and painting baitys really is. BTW Jed the rattlecan version doesn't look too bad at all ....... question is wilil the topcoat and the rattlecan paint peacefully coexist?

Edited by MuskieMike 4/6/2006 6:45 PM
Stan Durst 1
Posted 4/6/2006 7:19 PM (#186098 - in reply to #186027)

First of all let me say thank you to the gentleman that made the anonymous post and stuck up for Beav and I. That is commendable to know that someone would do that .
On the other hand also, I did not take the info as a cheap shot against Beav and I. There are many ways of doing things and I believe he was only trying to show that there is another way. There always are short cuts to everything and you get what you pay for.
We have been very lucky to have a board where we can all express our views. I appreciate the way that this board is managed and I post here a lot. In fact, this is the only board I do post on for that very reason. Please be tactful with the posts and,
Please, lets not turn this into a pi##ing contest.
Thanks guys,

Mike
Posted 4/7/2006 9:42 AM (#186173 - in reply to #186027)

I started this thread, not sure if I did anything wrong, but sorry if I did. It seems there is interest in chrome painting and that’s why I shared some info from a publicly available catalogue I have. I enjoy airbrushing lures like many others and I enjoy the experimenting of new processes and colors. And just maybe the fish will like it too.
If you’re going to hype and draw attention to new things – sorry – but expect others to follow.
The Yeti
Posted 4/8/2006 1:16 AM (#186336 - in reply to #186027)

just get a CyberYeti

U'll be glad

black bellied, chrome perka, red eyes.

shines from above, shadows from below, stares at you with a hateful glow.

Edited by The Yeti 4/8/2006 1:17 AM
MuskieMike
Posted 4/8/2006 7:32 AM (#186348 - in reply to #186027)

Was that your own pattern idea Yeti? It looks pretty cool ......
Stan Durst 1
Posted 4/8/2006 7:45 AM (#186349 - in reply to #186027)

Mike G.
That was Yeti's idea for sure and the name has a nice "ring" to it.
The other Mike,
No hard feelings, Man, you are right about people following, that's just the way life is, and I can accept that.

Hey Yeti,
We can take that "Cyber Yeti" to the next stage now and really blow your socks off.
Beaver
Posted 4/8/2006 9:59 AM (#186371 - in reply to #186027)

All sorts of possibilities. Here is one that my 10-year old selected.
Also what the Hyper Dust lures look like in the sun.

Edited by Beaver 4/8/2006 10:05 AM

(Hyper Gill-Hyper Perch.jpg)

(Taylors Emerald Kandy.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Hyper Gill-Hyper Perch.jpg (36KB - 160 downloads)
Attachments Taylors Emerald Kandy.JPG (16KB - 176 downloads)
Riverman
Posted 4/13/2006 10:20 PM (#187385 - in reply to #186027)

That bait on the bottom is nice Beav.

jed v.
DaveG
Posted 4/14/2006 3:37 AM (#187397 - in reply to #186089)

Good post Riverman at the end of the day its only fishing, I make my own baits and have found that as long as the bait surface is sanded very smooth a good finish is possible with rattle can Chrome.
This type of paint stays soft for a while so a couple days drying time is important before applying the clearcoat, although they look good dont get too hung up on color, the action is more important. Dave.
ShaneW
Posted 4/14/2006 1:31 PM (#187470 - in reply to #186027)

Yikes, talk about out of line. I have known Jed on this board as well as the lure building boards and he's all about sharing info. He makes and sells great baits and even then is will to help others that want to make and sell them who may be competitors of his.

Shane
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)