Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> 9th Annual Fox River Valley Muskies Inc. Spring Challunge on the Chain

Message Subject: 9th Annual Fox River Valley Muskies Inc. Spring Challunge on the Chain
Slamr
Posted 4/24/2005 11:51 AM (#144294)
Subject: 9th Annual Fox River Valley Muskies Inc. Spring Challunge on the Chain

The Fox River Valley chapter is proud to announce our 9th Annual Challunge on the Chain tournament Series. One Spring and one Fall tournament will be run as a series. The series team that accumilates the most points in both tournaments will win a bonus prize. Teams may enter one or both tournaments.

The Spring tournament will be held Saturday April 30, 2005 at the Thirsty Turtle on Channel Lake.

The Fall tournament will be held Saturday November 5th, also at the Thirsty Turtle.

For details, prizes and entry forms, please see the chapter web site http://www.frvmuskie.com
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 4/25/2005 5:06 AM (#144364 - in reply to #144294)
Subject: RE: 9th Annual Fox River Valley Muskies Inc. Challunge on the Chain

You don't have to be a tourney guy to have fun in this tournament.
There are still a few positions available. You can sign up on tournament day if you like. If you haven't sent in your registration yet and plan to sign up on tournament day it would be very helpful if you could let us know so we can order enough food for everyone.

Edited by Luke_Chinewalker 4/27/2005 8:31 PM
Rich Gallagher
Posted 4/25/2005 9:07 AM (#144391 - in reply to #144294)

Slamr,
This is the 9th annual spring Challunge and to echo Luke, it is a great time for all who attend! Currently we have about 65 teams registered, so if anyone is interested in geeting entry forms or has any questions on the tourney, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]

Thanks,
Robby D
Posted 4/25/2005 11:44 AM (#144429 - in reply to #144391)

I am confused why there are so few boats in the Tourney. Haven't there been over 100 boats most years?
The payoff is about 1/2 of what it could be. Anyway doesn't matter, Slamr said he is going to win.

Rob
BACKLASH
Posted 4/25/2005 11:55 AM (#144435 - in reply to #144429)

Rob,

If I remember right, (getting harder each year) there was about 85 teams last year. We started 84th last year and took 2nd. A couble of years ago, Koniewicz and Edwards started last and took 2nd. Hey! maybe I should sell my starting position. Really is a great time and starting position doesn't matter. If you're looking for a tournament to just have fun, this is it.

Bob
Slamr
Posted 4/25/2005 11:59 AM (#144439 - in reply to #144294)
Subject: RE: 9th Annual Fox River Valley Muskies Inc. Spring Challunge on the Chain

I was there just covering the event last year for MuskieFIRST and there were ALOT of teams signing up the day of. Team Golden will be doing the same. BTW, Team Golden is also to be known as Sonic Death Monkey.
BACKLASH
Posted 4/25/2005 12:05 PM (#144441 - in reply to #144294)
Subject: RE: 9th Annual Fox River Valley Muskies Inc. Spring Challunge on the Chain

Nice spelling Bob-couple. I think Slamr is right about people signing up the day of the tournament.
Rich Gallagher
Posted 4/25/2005 12:52 PM (#144456 - in reply to #144429)

Rob,
As President of the FRV Chapter we are all in a quandry as to why the last few years the number of boats are down for the Spring Tournament. Just a few years ago we had 125 teams in it and we had to turn people away, as we were filled up. Our guess is that the number of tournaments have increased dramatically over the years, offering anglers too many options. Also, the entry fee was increased two years ago to get the payouts bigger and to pay out to more places. We are wondering if we scared people off with the increase??

The other intangible that we have NO control over is the fishing!! The last two years the number of muskies caught in the spring & fall tournaments were marginal, and I'm wondering if this is pushing people to fish other lakes other than the Chain?

Nonetheless, we are hoping for more teams to sign up this week or the day of the tournament. Either way we will continue to work as hard as we can to make this event an enjoyable one for all who choose to participate. Too bad we can't get more guys to fish it from our own chapter.

Let me know your thoughts!!
Thanks,
Robby D
Posted 4/25/2005 2:52 PM (#144484 - in reply to #144294)

Hello Rich,

As you asked for suggestions, I have only one gripe about the FRV tourney and I have fished it the last 5
year. I think the food has been sub par, not expecting a 4 course meal, but the bugers and brats are really
bad.

That being said, as far as the Tent, beer, prizes, organization, I think the tourney is a great one. it is always
nice to catch up with people you may not have seen in while.

This is a well run tourney and I think all people considering this tourney should buck up and have some fun!
who knows you may even catch a fish. Many people have been seeing and catching fish this past weekend.

Show up and win a prize!

Robv
MuskieMike
Posted 4/25/2005 5:17 PM (#144499 - in reply to #144294)

I fished the fall tourney last year as a non member ... had a blast , and that experience was part of the reason for joining the FRV Chapter .... We do need to catch more fish though ... seems to be alot of boats, not many fish???? Raffles and beer were great ...

Edited by MuskieMike 4/25/2005 6:55 PM
muskyboy
Posted 4/25/2005 5:44 PM (#144506 - in reply to #144294)

Join us for a fun day on the chain, and you can register that morning and jump right in!
husky_jerk
Posted 4/25/2005 7:56 PM (#144519 - in reply to #144294)

This will be my fifth year and it really is a fun day. This is coming from a guy that never scores tournament day and keeps coming back. How many musky first guys are fishing Saturday?
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 4/25/2005 8:12 PM (#144524 - in reply to #144519)

I'll backup Blanke on the starting position. We started at the back of the pack last fall and won. That we won at all is a miracle but starting from the back appears to have continued the theme.

ps. Robby D and others.... Last fall we changed up the food. We went to Italian Beef sandwiches and grilled chicken breast sandwiches with all the trimmings. Many people commented that it was a big improvement. We're going to try the same food again this spring. If you have suggestions for food improvements please let us know.
Slamr
Posted 4/26/2005 9:54 AM (#144587 - in reply to #144294)

Weather Report for Saturday:

Antioch, IL On The Spot Weather

Hourly Forecast more details

Few Showers High
60°F

Precip
30%

Wind: N 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 56%
UV Index: 6 High

Sunrise: 5:50 AM CT
Avg. High: 62°F
Record High: N/A°F (N/A)

Partly Cloudy Overnight Low
37°F

Precip
20%

Wind: ENE 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 65%

Sunset: 7:50 PM CT

*fish catching weather.

MuskieMike
Posted 4/26/2005 9:58 AM (#144590 - in reply to #144294)

Looks like today is a fish catchin day today too .. On my way up to trhe Fox right now ... I sure do like workin nights on days like this .....
esoxaddict
Posted 4/26/2005 12:05 PM (#144628 - in reply to #144294)

Mike, we fished the chain yesterday. Had a couple lookers, but nothing in the boat. Only fish we had with any appetite came up out of the South end of Bluff, maybe 100 yards East of the channel in between the docks, on a black topraider. She hit a small white bucktail on the next cast, but we didn't get her in the boat.

The other two fish came out of the slop along the North shoreline of Bluff, both on white glide baits, worked a slow as we could.

Threw everything we had under 6", even tried switching to small bass baits, and the only thing that seemed to get their attention was WHITE and SLOW.
MuskieMike
Posted 4/26/2005 12:57 PM (#144640 - in reply to #144294)

Thanks for the info Addict .... I forgot I had to replace the hook on the trailer come along ... I got one that was too small the first trip to Ace... Took over an hour to get the right one and get it reattatched ....... So I wasted a beautiful day to be out ... Thanks for the info though ..... Can't wait for Saturday ..... Should be fun ....
Rich Gallagher
Posted 4/27/2005 8:40 AM (#144748 - in reply to #144484)

Rob,
Great point on the food, I agree it has been sub par and truthfully the last two years I ahve skipped dinner for that reason and simply fille dup on "cold barley soup" !! Joe Mellott has been working to imporve the quality of the table fare for this springs tourney. Give me some feedback folloing dinner and let meknow what you guys think. Your input is invaluable to help us move in the right direction.

Thanks,
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 4/27/2005 12:32 PM (#144800 - in reply to #144294)

We will have one day access stickers for those that need them at the tournament.
davep
Posted 4/28/2005 8:02 AM (#144884 - in reply to #144800)

Interesting thing about the number of boats. While i have thought about getting into the tourney, i have not yet participated. The main reason? The number of boats in the tourney. Not having been there, it seems it would be too crowded on the fox. That being said, i have heard nothing but good things about the tourney and how it is run. Every person i speak to says it is a great time and well run so my excuse may be ending. Another positive, it seems that, at least lately, it takes at least a mid 40's (+ another boated) fish to win. That is unbelievable to me. Seems like only a few years ago, a mid 40's was almost unheard of on the Chain.
Fishwater1
Posted 4/28/2005 10:21 AM (#144899 - in reply to #144628)

I'm white and slow, maybe I have a chance on Saturday.
Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 4/28/2005 11:30 AM (#144904 - in reply to #144899)

Dave the number of boats on the chain for the tourney really isn't that bad. You can usually find a place to fish. Its really not worse than any regular Saturday on Webster. If you think 70-80 boats is a lot you should have seen it a few years ago when we were at 125 boats, that was a little crowded. Some of the better spots like Airport bay can get a little crowded but we all know there are other places to catch fish. If I can win this thing litterally anybody can.

Edited by Luke_Chinewalker 4/28/2005 11:31 AM
Lightning
Posted 4/28/2005 6:33 PM (#144974 - in reply to #144904)

I will be out on the Chain this weekend but not going to fish the tourney. I am still learning the lakes. I have 2 legal fish in the boat this year. I might fish the fall or next years tourney.
Rich Gallagher
Posted 4/29/2005 9:59 AM (#145055 - in reply to #144294)
Subject: RE: Challunge Weather Report

National Weather Service Hourly Forecast for Saturday at 60002
38 degrees at game time 7:00 AM
45 degrees at 10:00 AM
52 degrees at noon
55 at 4:00 PM

Wind (mph)
NNE 9 at game time
Conditions

Rain
Rain
Chance of Rain
Chance of Rain
Chance of Rain
Chance of Rain
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Cloud Cover (%)
100% 95% 90% 86% 81% 77% 74% 74%
Probability of Precipitation (%)
61% 61% 61% 54% 54% 54% 54% 18%

Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 4/29/2005 8:11 PM (#145176 - in reply to #145055)
Subject: RE: Challunge Weather Report

Forecast is improving. Only a 40% chance of rain until 7am then partly cloudy high of 54.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)