Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> FYI: Chippewa Flowage Area Guides

Message Subject: FYI: Chippewa Flowage Area Guides
Troy
Posted 4/26/2005 12:04 AM (#144549)
Subject: FYI: Chippewa Flowage Area Guides

I know it does not make any sense but for some reason, the Chip. Flowage is still on the Federal list of waters requiring an OUPV or Limited OUPV License. (6-pack captains License). I completed the class last week and was notified by a Coast Guard Officer of the bodies of water which the license is required. The one that popped out was the Flowage. He also said that because of all the hype that has been coming out regarding Captains License they are required to investigate and patrol all waters. He also went on to say that the Coast Guard has not been doing their job in patrolling these waters and that they were in the wrong. So, until the fed boys take some of these waters off the list, the CG will be out and about. None of the CG guys in this area agree about the patrolling of these waters like Winnebago, Poygan, and the Flowage and would love it if the gov. crossed out all of these waters. ( which will probably never happen) Now for the good stuff....In most cases the Lieutenant that spoke to us said that he would most likely give a Captain of The Port Order to most first offenders. unless they were complete jerks and mouthed off. Then they get hit. After your first warning or if they dont like you from the start, the penalties start at around 11,000 and can go upto 44,000. ( this was acfcording to the officer that spoke to us) There are many factors of course but not something to throw over your shoulder.

I just thought I would pass that along as I told him I would. They dont want to have to make a big deal out of things so they are fore warning people. Out here on Winnebago 3 people got nailed last year and the CG will be out in full force quite a few times again this year. I can only guess that as more and more guides obtain their license out here the more we will be checked. Anything to get more money out of our pockets!!!!!!!

This also pertains to the guys up on Lake of the Woods. I believe the office that will be handeling the area is the Superior/Duluth.
I have a bunch of phone numbers if anyone is interesetd in finding out more info.

Troy
Shep
Posted 4/26/2005 8:58 AM (#144573 - in reply to #144549)
Subject: RE: FYI: Chippewa Flowage Area Guides

This is major news, Troy! I knew about waters listed here,

Sturgeon Bay Ship canal
• Fox River
• Lake Butte des Mortes
• Lake Winneconne
• Lake Poygan
• Wolf River
• Rock River
• Lake Koshkonong

but the Big Chip? Really? I think this is getting out of hand here in WI. Do any other states have these issues, where all of a sudden, you now require a Captains License to guide? WHere does one get a list of ALL waters that require this OUPV. Is Leech, or Mille Lacs, or Cave Run, or Webster, or Shlbyville next on the hit list?

This could have a major impact for a lot of guides up there. What happens if a guide of 30+ years gets stopped? It's his living, his only income? Is he to stop guiding or risk a huge fine? I think it's time to contact our Reps and Senators.

Oh, and one final thought. This has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with MONEY!

Edited by Shep 4/26/2005 9:00 AM
esox-dan
Posted 4/26/2005 9:22 AM (#144580 - in reply to #144549)

Troy,
I am interested in this Federal list of waters that you speak. I understand that the Coast Guard patrols certain bodies of water. They do have Authority over ALL inland waters.
Please post or PM me this list of the OUPV required bodies.

Thank You,
Dan

Edited by esox-dan 4/26/2005 1:26 PM
Ty Sennett
Posted 4/26/2005 10:50 AM (#144606 - in reply to #144549)

I for one can guarantee none of us guides on the Chip have an OUPV license with the exception of one walleye guide. How much does an OUPV license cost to get? You should think we would get something in the mail from the state when we buy our annual guide license.

Ty
Jennifer Meyer
Posted 4/26/2005 10:57 AM (#144610 - in reply to #144549)

Ty, from what I have seen, it's around $750. I've got some time on my hands today, so I'll check into it a little more. I know Corey didn't get anything with his guide license renewal either. The 2 websites that I checked out aren't offering classes until October 7, and they are in Manitowoc.

Jen

P.S. How ya doin'?
Jennifer Meyer
Posted 4/26/2005 10:59 AM (#144612 - in reply to #144549)

Also, as an FYI, the 2 sites that I am in right now looking up the Wisconsin lakes and testing do NOT list the Chip.

Jen
Jennifer Meyer
Posted 4/26/2005 11:02 AM (#144613 - in reply to #144549)

Here is a cut and paste. This site is $250 and offered it at NWTC in Green Bay.

COAST GUARD LICENSE COURSE: LIMITED OPERATOR OF UNINSPECTED PASSENGER VESSEL (Limited OUPV)

April 8, 9, 10, 2005 at NWTC Green Bay

For operating in parts of: or all of:
• Sturgeon Bay Ship canal
• Fox River
• Lake Butte des Mortes
• Lake Winneconne
• Lake Poygan
• Wolf River
• Rock River
• Lake Koshkonong

WHAT IS THE LIMITED OUPV?
A Limited OUPV license permits work for pay on selected inland federal waters in a power driven vessel with 6 or fewer passengers. The 24-hour course builds on the student’s experience on the water, offering the same privileges as the regular OUPV but in a more limited geographic area.
Approved by U.S. Coast Guard
LIMITED OPERATOR OF UNINSPECTED PASSENGER VESSEL COURSE
Qualify to work on select Wisconsin waterways and learn how to be a safe and responsible boater with a course for the Limited Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel license.

• charter fishing
• guiding
• sailing instruction or charters
(on any boat with a motor)
• water taxi
• moving boats

For the first time, Northeast Wisconsin Technical College will present the “Limited OUPV” course and exam, designed for experienced boaters who wish to work on Wisconsin rivers and lakes. The United States Coast Guard recently increased its scrutiny of boat operators. Now is the time to get your training and certification!

• It’s quick: This is a 24-hour course held over three 8-hour days with a 50-question exam.
• It’s easier to qualify: Only 90 days on specific waters.
• It’s focused: The license provides full rights to work on the water, within the license area

Participants will learn:
• Rules of the Road
• Navigation aids for safe boating
• Proper and safe operations of a vessel
• Handling emergency situations
• Navigation techniques including charts, GPS and compass
• Boat handling and docking
• Federal Code of Regulations for Mariners
PLUS: The fee includes materials, charts, a 250-page student manual, and the final licensing exam. Those who successfully complete the course receive a certificate which can be submitted with the completed application for a license to the USCG Regional Exam Center, along with a request for the specific geographic area.
a certified PRESENTER:
Captain Gary Kulibert has been on area waters for over 40 years. He is a U.S. Coast Guard-approved instructor and a certified American Sailing Association instructor. His company is also certified to teach Limited OUPV in three U.S. Coast Guard Regions; OUPV for Inland, Great Lakes and Near Coastal Waters; and Assistance Towing. Much of his work is done on his 30-foot Catalina sailboat, North Winds.

Fee: The $250 fee includes materials, charts, a 250-page student manual, and the final licensing exam.

Find out more: For details and start dates, please send an e-mail message to [email protected]; or call Sarah Deuchert, (920) 498-6240 or (800) 422-NWTC, ext 6240.
Jennifer Meyer
Posted 4/26/2005 11:36 AM (#144622 - in reply to #144549)

Ok, last post. I spoke with the Coast Guard in Milwaukee, and the DNR in Hayward, and both places said that the license is not needed.
Troy
Posted 4/26/2005 8:59 PM (#144710 - in reply to #144549)

I have a call into the coast guard that came and spoke to our class. Right now the limited does not even include the Chip so that means that the full OUPV would be required. The DNR has absolutely no say or juresdiction over the oupv license what so ever. No one that I know of received any bit of information regarding the Winnebago system either when we renewed our Wisconsin Guide license. It has nothing to do with the state.
Here is the link to the MSO link. http://www.uscg.mil/d9/wwm/mso/milwaukee/
Goto the left side of the page and click on Navigable Waters WI.
or click here for the complete list http://www.uscg.mil/d9/wwm/mso/milwaukee/OUPV/NAVIGABLE%20WATERS.do...

Hope this helps.
I just got off the phone with the guy that taught our class and is in the process of getting a llimited OUPV course certified for this region which is around 300 dollars and only 3 days long. I will follow up with anything I find out. my number is below if you have any questions.

Troy
920-810-4570

Edited by Troy 4/27/2005 12:56 AM
Jim Stroede
Posted 4/26/2005 10:01 PM (#144725 - in reply to #144549)

What?
muskynutz
Posted 4/27/2005 7:03 AM (#144736 - in reply to #144710)

troy...the chippewa river is listed, not the chippewa flowage
Troy
Posted 4/27/2005 8:05 AM (#144744 - in reply to #144549)

Navigable Throughout... I argued the same point and lost. The guy you can contact regarding this is Chief Warrant Officer Doug Damman at USCG Marine Safety Office Milwaukee at 414-747-7162. He should be able to lend a hand and stear you in the right direction.
Troy
kap n jim
Posted 4/27/2005 6:26 PM (#144843 - in reply to #144549)

The best information in the country regarding what is federal and what is not can be obtained in Toledo,Ohio and St. Louis, MO. The coast guard stations here should have the map. I called down to St. Louis many years ago and got correct information, so I would start there. Call the Reginal Exam Center, sorry, don't have the number handy. Keep in mind that only parts of some rivers are considered "federal". For example, the Rock River stops being federal at Fort Atkinson.
kap n jim
Posted 4/27/2005 6:32 PM (#144844 - in reply to #144549)

And yes, it does take an act of congress to get off the list. And no, it has nothing to do with money and everything to do with safety. These rules were set up for safety reasons many, many moons ago, way before all of us we're probably born. If a river was used for commercial shipping or passenger travel in the late 1800's or early 1900's, or if the river crossed state lines, it may have been listed as federal years ago.
kap n jim
Posted 4/27/2005 7:20 PM (#144848 - in reply to #144549)

Followup....There has always been a difference between "navigable" and "federal" waters. Some of the Coast Guard information above is confusing. Lot's of water in the state is navigable, but for license purposes it also had to be listed as federal. Unless they changed something recently, most navigable waters do not need a captains license. If I get a chance tomorrow I will try to call St. Louis myself to clarify.
Troy
Posted 4/27/2005 9:06 PM (#144854 - in reply to #144549)

I did talk with Jim Bloom out of St. Louis and was given the same info that the Chip was navigable THROUGHOUT. I am waiting to find out if the USCG will allow just a restricted OUPV for this water. As soon as I find out I will post.

Troy
kap n jim
Posted 4/27/2005 10:12 PM (#144865 - in reply to #144549)

Troy, yes, navigable, but is it classified as "federal" for license purposes? Since it takes an act of congress to remove waters from the federal status, it should also take the same act to add some.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)