Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Scouting before the opener

Message Subject: Scouting before the opener
Mikes Extreme
Posted 4/29/2005 7:52 PM (#145174)
Subject: Scouting before the opener

How many people go out and scout before the opener?

Do you scout or graph on your lake of choice before the opener?

I am lucky enough to have lived on Pewaukee lake all my life. I also know all the rivers and spawning areas on the lake very well. We usually will launch the boat the weekend before the opener and just take a spotlight and some refreshments.

You could not believe what is swimming around in plain view at night. Walleyes, muskies, northerns, carp, etc..........

That is only part of the scouting. The lack of weeds this early lets you find rocks, logs, sand, gravel and sweet spots you might have never noticed during the day. All I can say is if you have the chance to get out and try some night time scouting( without any rods, line, hooks, etc...in the boat) you will be amazed at what you will see.

I have done this almost every year since I can remember. I have seen fish that have never got caught, or heard of caught. Its not uncommon to see 10 to 15 muskie and over 100 walleyes in a 3 hour period. Let me warn you, it makes the wait much harder when you know where the big ones are hanging and sometimes you find a spot where there is a pile of muskies in a small area.

This might be a touchy subject but without anything but a spotlight in the boat, what is wrong with it. The fish are not even bothered by the boat and light. They swim under the boat and along side of it all the time. Its nice to see muskie and walleyes three feet away knowing next week its time to start fishing for some of them.

This also lets you know how far the spawn is along, what you should target, and what you should let alone for another week or so.

Anyone else check out the lakes they plan to fish for the opener or do you wait till the opener to check things out?

This is the night I would be going out but its cold and the wind has the water murky. Maybe I will get a chance before the opener, if not I alread know my opening weekend milk run.
tuffy1
Posted 4/29/2005 9:10 PM (#145178 - in reply to #145174)
Subject: RE: Scouting before the opener

Mike, if you're going out tomorrow, let me know. I have to run the new sled around all day, and so I will be scouting. If you're gonna be out, I may shoot up your way, otherwise, I'll be on Silver.

You are dead on about that. Very good for seeing other structure that is laying under the weeds that will develop later.
muskynightmare
Posted 4/29/2005 11:37 PM (#145193 - in reply to #145174)

I am Jealous of you, Extreme one! I do not live close enough to any of my favorite waters to do what you do, but I would certainly do it if I had the chance! Good luck on the opener and with the baits you bought from me, and more importantly, and this is to everyone, HAVE A SAFE SEASON!!!!!!!
Rob and Lori
The Handyman
Posted 4/30/2005 7:04 AM (#145199 - in reply to #145174)

Thats what walleyes,smallies and crappies are for! I am catching and having fun, but am really scouting. Put it this way, I am ready for May 7th, 6 days and a wake-up!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)