Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Green Bay's Giant Muskie Story

Frozen
Message Subject: Green Bay's Giant Muskie Story
Jimbo
Posted 4/27/2005 7:20 AM (#144737)
Subject: Green Bay's Giant Muskie Story

Here is the Green Bay Monster Muskie Story:

A big muskie that was caught this past week by my friend Ryan of Green Bay WI approx 54-55 inches long by 33 inches of girth, has stirred up a lot of controversy. With the many rumors and lies that have circulated I wanted to be able to tell people the true story behind this fish. This fish was caught out of my boat along with another friend Joe Schmitt on Sunday April 17th.
This past weekend the 3 of us decided to try for some post spawn walleyes out in Green Bay after a few hours and several missed opportunities of trolling for walleyes we decided to hang up the trolling bite, and go cast and jig for walleye?s. The water temp where we fished was 50 degrees on the surface. I started casting a shad rap my buddy Joe in the back of the boat was throwing a twister tail and Ryan was throwing a rapala. We all had spinning tackle with nothing heavier than 10 lb test. Ryan was using 8 lb test on a spinning rod.

After about 20-30 minutes of casting Ryan hooks a fish and right away it was obvious that it was big and not a big walleye. We were not sure what he had hooked? Catfish, Muskie, Sturgeon? After a few minutes we saw the big muskie and our jaws dropped.

I then put on a pair of gloves and attempted to try and grab the fish by its tail and hold the fish in the water, unfortunately I could not get my hands around this fish's tail. During this time when the fish was close to the boat Joe took several pictures while the fish was still hooked and in the water, just in case we were never able to get a hold of the fish. My camera was on and ready, and as soon as Ryan pulled the fish out of the water I quickly took approximately 6 pictures with my camera of the fish out of the water. I did not go threw a whole roll of film on this fish as previously stated that is not true at all. I did not reload and put another role of film in my camera and anyone who knows me knows I always carry extra film. So in my opinion we did not abuse this fish. My main concern was getting this fish back safely and unharmed.

I think my buddy did a great job supporting the fish. Even though I do have 2 digital scales, I never even considered weighing the fish. We took a length and girth of this fish while it was in the water, I am positive this fish is still alive. I feel very blessed that I was there for this freak of nature fishing event. We just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

To those who say we were targeting muskies that is incorrect, we all had spinning tackle with 8 or 10 lb test fishing for walleye's. We never transported this fish, other than Ryan lifting it out of the water, removing the hooks and smiling for a few mug shots then releasing her.

We contacted the DNR several days after we caught this fish (Not the same day) and told them we caught this fish took several photo?s and released the fish. According to the DNR wardens we did not break the law. I can honestly say that this fish was out of the water no more than 45 seconds.

At first we were all elated to have been part of such an incredible fishing event, but after talking about the fish and rumors flying around it started to sour both mine and my good friends about doing anything at all with showing this fish to the public.

The reason why Ryan did not want to post this fish is very simple, Ryan lives in Green Bay and did not want to be solely responsible for turning this area into the Muskie Capital of the world. He caught the fish so I believe he can post, not post, or do what he chooses with the pictures.

He has asked around about a replica but most taxidermists just laugh when he mentions the girth and length. I think it's a great fish and I will never say it's a record by any means just a great big fish.

Unfortunately there?s a lot of people who say how we should have, or could have done things differently. I don?t feel as if we broke the law or made and unethical mistake. I did not post this to add fuel to the fire, best of luck to all in 2005!

Eric Haataja
Slamr
Posted 4/27/2005 2:43 PM (#144827 - in reply to #144737)
Subject: RE: Green Bay's Giant Muskie Story

Eric,
Thanks for posting the TRUE story of the fishes capture and release. MuskieFIRST appreciates you clearing the air about this previously mysterious, definitely monster fish.

*to anyone who posted on the thread before this, thank you for your input. However, it seems though controversy is sought after in every case right now, the spring opener cant come soon enough!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)