Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> state records

Message Subject: state records
ski86
Posted 4/27/2005 7:23 PM (#144849)
Subject: state records

I was told by the DNR that you don't have to kill a fish to have a state record. All you need is a certified scale, several witnesses, a scale sample, and a piece of fin the size of your thumbnail. I was told by several biologists that they would accept a fish as a state record if these steps were taken--The scale has to be fixed and not hand held. This would be great for fishing and would promote catch and release. Please give me your feedback.
Todd K.
Couldv'eMaybe
Posted 4/27/2005 11:06 PM (#144867 - in reply to #144849)
Subject: RE: state records

Well Todd,

Since you already talked to the Officials, What more do you need?

If you are a ‘regular’ on this site, I would guess that you just want to start another heated discussion.
Feedback you want? Its kinda like asking a pit full of snakes if anyone wants to eat this mouse.
There has been much controversy lately on records and procedures.

The Top Ten Reasons whether to Debate if a Fish is a, should be a, could be a, maybe a, possible a………………THE NEXT STATE OR WORLD RECORD MUSKIE:

10. Because he Would of…
9. Because he Should of….
8. Because he Could of….
7. Because he Wouldn’t of……
6.Because he Shouldn’t of…..
5. Because he Couldn’t of…..
4. Because he Must’ve……..
3. Because of What IF……
2. Because of When……..

And the Number ONE Reason whether or not it Should be Debated at this time is that.........................Sorry, I don’t have any pictures of it.

Or should we just discuss when we do catch it. Yeah, That would be more reasonable. Or, should we…………………

MACK
Posted 4/28/2005 8:26 AM (#144886 - in reply to #144849)

I doubt that the DNR will be able to claim any state records and most certainly any world records without killing the fish. They're going to want to at least slit the stomachs to make sure there's no lead shot stuffed into the fish by a fisherman to add weight and/or they'll want to x-ray the fish to make sure nothing "fishy" is going on. Please excuse the bad pun.

This topic's been talked about and debated about enough times to fill enough bandwidth for a web site of its own.

When in doubt if it's a state record...let it go. If you're even questioning if it could take it by a pound or an inch...let it go. By the time you find someone to identify it, weigh it and certify it...the fish will have lost those extra few pounds and will have shrunk an inch or so from being in captivity...or just from loosing fluids from mortality. Remember...living creatures that die...shrink from loosing fluids which also equates to lost weight.

When in doubt...toss 'er back to swim again.
ski86
Posted 4/28/2005 2:27 PM (#144934 - in reply to #144849)

Couldv'e Maybe
I'm not on this web page as much as I would like. I've not participated in these other discusions that you are mentioning. If this was a heated debate last time it was posted, I apologize. I was just wondering if you could obtain a state record without killing a fish. I simply didn't trust the information I was obtaining and knew there were fish biologists that frequent this web page. Please call me if get a chance--630-244-0358 Todd
kevin
Posted 4/28/2005 8:23 PM (#144989 - in reply to #144849)

FYI, Jed Pearson, Indiana DNR Biologist has stated in the past several times that if a State Record is caught and weighed on a certified scale like the one available at the Lakside Restraunt on Webster Lake. And the fish is witnessed by at least two people it will be recognized. Jed is the guy who would have final say so in Indiana on a state record catch, well at least if it was a musky. I have available to anyone who wants to have it, a list of all Certified scales in the State of Illinois. It is two files in adobe acrobat pdf and total 4MB, PM me if you want this list and make sure your mail box has got the room for such a large file.
Justin Gaiche
Posted 4/28/2005 8:34 PM (#144990 - in reply to #144849)

If it is a state record in my state of Wisconsin, I don't think it would fit the 60" livewell in my Tuffy. If that is the case, I guess it wouldn't break my heart to put all of the World Record discrimination to rest.
kevin
Posted 4/28/2005 8:42 PM (#144992 - in reply to #144849)

I just found the old e-mail I got from Jed, here it is:

A new record muskie would not need to be verified by myself or a DNR employee to
be accepted but would need to be supported by independent witnesses who would state
they saw the fish and observed the certified weighing of the fish. Yes it is possible
to release the fish after you weigh it, but make sure you take a photo first. Also,
to get someone to testify to witnessing an accurate certified weighing of the fish,
the fish would have to be held in a calm position for enough time to record its
weight. Jed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)