Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Lure Care

Message Subject: Lure Care
Beaver
Posted 4/23/2005 7:58 AM (#144222)
Subject: Lure Care

This is more of an FYI for some guys.
In the last couple of weeks I've received some lures from guys to strip and repaint. These are wooden lures, not plastic. Plastic won't pose this problem.
Some of the lures are close to unrepairable because the clearcoat came off of the lure in one or more spots, but the guys used them anyway and then put the lure away only to have the clear coat yellow and peel. That's because the wood takes on water, swells up and makes the top coat expand. When the lure dries and shrinks, the clearcoat doesn't. You can save your favorite lure from the grave by taking along some clear fingernail polish and putting it on any scratches or nicks or gouges. When those rainbows start to show up on the side of your lures from hook rash, go over the rainbow with clear fingernail polish so it doesn't turn into gouges. Better yet, "T" the hooks and do away with the rainbow. Any chips, scratches, nicks....any imperfection, put on some clear polish. The trouble spots will be obvious. Tired of your hooks sticking in your Suicks? Put the polish on the areas where the hooks are getting stuck and scratching off the thin clear coat. Slamr told me about this a few years ago, and now I take along clear, black, red, glitter....lots of different colors. But make sure that you take along some clear top coat. It dries hard as a rock in a few minutes and will save your expensive lure from damage.
Beav
AFChief
Posted 4/23/2005 8:31 AM (#144223 - in reply to #144222)
Subject: RE: Lure Care

Beaver, thanks for the advice. I've only been fishing muskies for a few years. It seems the more I learn, the more I realize how little I actually know about this great sport. I am starting to see the wear on some of my tackle as you described, your recomendations will be a big help. Thanks again.

Jerry
h2os2t
Posted 4/23/2005 9:18 AM (#144228 - in reply to #144222)

Good advice Beav. Something else to add, I carry 5 minute epoxy(in a zip lock bag with some toothpicks for mixing) in the boat also. Just in case you hit a rock or bridge (not that I have done that,LOL), let the bait dry for a little bit and epoxy the chips or cracks and your back in bussiness.
out2llunge
Posted 4/23/2005 10:45 AM (#144229 - in reply to #144222)

Another thing in this vein, if you "Texas Longhorn" the hooks - like "T" ing but bending the points down and away slightly, it wil also help prevent nasty hook scarring.
lobi
Posted 4/23/2005 12:06 PM (#144236 - in reply to #144222)

After a day on the water I also go through the trouble of hanging all the lures I used up to dry completly. It will save a lot of hook and hardware rusting. Some bucktails will hold a lot of water. Shake them real hard or blot (squeeze) with a towell to get the majority of moisture out. Leave the tackle box open to dry also.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)