Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Matching rods & reels and lure applications.

Message Subject: Matching rods & reels and lure applications.
Posted 3/13/2005 9:55 AM (#138734)
Subject: Matching rods & reels and lure applications.

I'm new to muskie fishing. Would appreciate advice on matching my rods & reels and which general types of lures to throw with them Thank You! 7'6" Gander MT. GPS 761 CMH-M medium heavy action .5-3oz , 7 ' St. Croix premier PM 70HF-2 1-4oz. , 7'2" Pete Mania Heavy action 2-10oz. Abu 6500 C3 5.3-1, Abu 5600 C4 6.3-1, Shimano Corvalus 400 5.1-1
Mark H.
Posted 3/14/2005 12:14 PM (#138928 - in reply to #138734)
Subject: RE: Matching rods & reels and lure applications.

I can help you out with two of them because I have them.

Gander 7.6 is one of the best rods on the market for the value in either the IM7 or IM8. I have found they are excellent for bucktails up to about a Bucher 700 series and the like sized spinner baits, twitch baits and crank baits up to about the 7" size, topwaters like Mouldy's Topper Stopper, Holcombe's Stomper, Hawgseekers Rattle Hawg, etc. It also makes for a good creature rod if coupled with a C4 reel. Overall a very versitile rod up to and including most mid-size baits.

The Bass Pro Signature Series (Pete's) in 7'2". I bought one of these primarily as a sucker rod and have used it in the past for ripping big Jakes, and throwing very heavy lures. It's a stiff rod with a ton of back bone, but it will take a pretty good fish to keep it arched during the fight. Suppose if you throw Magnum Dawgs or big/heavy gliders you could use it for that as well.

Hope this helps a little.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)