Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Barbless hooks

Message Subject: Barbless hooks
Rockin' SV
Posted 3/5/2005 9:06 AM (#137725)
Subject: Barbless hooks

Has anybody ever tried going barbless for muskie fishing, and if so what is your results? Does it result in a significant amount of lost fish?
ESOX Maniac
Posted 3/5/2005 9:16 AM (#137727 - in reply to #137725)
Subject: RE: Barbless hooks

I went entirely barbless in 1998, after being attached to a 5lb smallmouth on a Canadian fly-in. In 2004 I managed to put 39 muskies in the net in about 60-70 hrs total fishing time-that includes ~8 hrs, the very last day of Nov (31st)- where I didn't see a fish. Yeah maybe I lost a few at the net when fishing by myself. However, I think my averages for lost fish are not significantly different than other muskie fisherman or before I went barbless. Interesting subject, I'm going to log lost versus in the net this year.

Have fun in 2005
Al
chico
Posted 3/5/2005 11:10 AM (#137739 - in reply to #137725)

No muskie to deal with but for Pike I always fish very crushed barbs, can't really say if I have lost a fish because of it but unhooking has become so much easier. I'd go as far to say if I lost a good fish because of it I wouldn't change back because I know the rest are going back better because I crush them right down. Less time out of the water(if at all) less damage and at times easier to get out of me!
chico
Posted 3/5/2005 11:13 AM (#137740 - in reply to #137725)

One reason I have not gone totaly barbless is the availability of my favourite patterns in barbless, they just don't seem to be available. If they were I am still not sure if I would though; a crushed barb offers some resistance to a thrashing fish whereas a barbless doesn't.
sledge51
Posted 3/5/2005 1:36 PM (#137747 - in reply to #137725)

Chico, I consider a crushed barb hook barbless. That little bump that is left probably helps keep the hook in a little, but they still pop out very easily when it is time to release the fish. Like Esox Maniac, I went barbless in 1998, though I never had the misfortune of being hooked to a fish.
BALDY
Posted 3/5/2005 4:44 PM (#137764 - in reply to #137725)

I started going barbless last year. This year all baits, except those with one single hook, will be barbless.

It saves so much time when unhooking, and if I ever get hooked...
ski86
Posted 3/5/2005 7:32 PM (#137776 - in reply to #137725)

I don't fish barbless hooks, but I know ripping a barb out causes damage. If you're going to fish regular hooks like myself, just cut the hook and remove it.
muskynightmare
Posted 3/5/2005 11:07 PM (#137784 - in reply to #137725)

Never give a fish that gives you sooooo much grief an even break. I fish barbed hooks, but almost always cut my hooks on a musky. the only exception is, is that the fish comes free in the net. As many times as that derned fish has messed with my dreams/ nightmares, I will release all fish, the best I can, so that they may live a loooong life, to have nightmares of me!
ChadG
Posted 3/7/2005 10:31 AM (#137909 - in reply to #137725)

Been doing the smashed barb thing for the past two years, haven't noticed a problem losing fish. It is lots easier pulling hooks out, whether the hook is in a fish, your hand, your dog, carpet.......the list goes on. For me the benifits far outweigh the negatives.
Mark H.
Posted 3/7/2005 12:29 PM (#137926 - in reply to #137725)

I'm going to try the pinched/crushed barbs this summer. I suspect that with todays longer rods with good arch in them that I shouldn't experience a problem with lost fish. Long as they don't get slack they shouldn't come unpinned.

I am still going to leave the barbs on a few of my wife's bait since she is still learning to fight the fish and maybe a few client baits, but other than that they are all getting the big squeeeez.

And I have been attached to a bait and fish, haven't I Mr. Worrall and a 6" Jake and my Yellow Lab at the same time... Suspect barbless would have helped both of those situations emensely..hehe
The Handyman
Posted 3/7/2005 12:41 PM (#137931 - in reply to #137725)

Barbs and my Knipex is all I need. Even being attached to a couple fish I will not give them the extra advantage. If/when it would ever become a law then I would, but until that time comes I will keep as much in my favor as possible. I don`t seem to have a problem unhooking fish!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)