Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Two Piece Trolling Rods

Message Subject: Two Piece Trolling Rods
esox50
Posted 3/1/2005 8:17 PM (#137187)
Subject: Two Piece Trolling Rods

I noticed that some of the trolling rods out there are two pieces. Is there a downside to a two piece rod versus a telescoping or single piece?
btpf
Posted 3/1/2005 8:38 PM (#137191 - in reply to #137187)
Subject: RE: Two Piece Trolling Rods

I havent had one come apart if thats what you mean. I was kind of worried about it also when I got a catfish rod that
was 2 pieces for trolling. It hasnt come apart yet. I wouldnt worry about it. It does come in handy to have at least one
rod you can fold up and toss in the trunck in case of a fishing emergency.

The catfish rods are plenty strong and really show you what your bait is doing in the water.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 3/2/2005 1:43 AM (#137219 - in reply to #137187)

Sean,
I would not worry about the rods coming apart. Most of the great lakes anglers who troll use 2piece rods up to 10' to troll and dont run into any problems. Keep in mind the out there we're talking acrobatic rainbows as well as 25+ pound kings. Those rods take a beating too. Lake michigan will test your gear for sure. If youre using longer rods, Id say over 9', 2piece is a necessity. I use 2pc. 9 footers among others. Ive also trolled with my day-in and day-out casting rods which work just as good. My advise with those though is beware of debris in the water if your trolling with your rod tips in the water. If youre doing that, you may not want your best rod tip serving as weed guards. That is when you rod and guides get abused.
Counting the days yet???? I am too.

Edited by KARLOUTDOORS 3/2/2005 1:45 AM
lobi
Posted 3/3/2005 9:50 AM (#137428 - in reply to #137187)

Ditto on 2-piece rods and lake Michigan testing them out. All my salmon gear is 2 piece rods, I also troll Muskie with them with no problem. I use the Shimano TDR rods. Inexpensive and sturdy.

I did have one come apart once and it was actually kinda funny and embarrassing...

We were just getting the rods out trying to beat the daylight/sunrise on a Salmon trip. Things happen fast when you are rigging in the dark and there are waves to deal with. Well I must not have seated a two piece rod together firm enough. When trolling with downriggers we have the releases set pretty tight as to put quite a bend in the rod. The rod tip snapping up is a good visual and it aids in hookset. I had a rod pop before I even had all the rods in the water and the line snapped with a pop sending the top half of the rod up and over our heads and into the deep. I was disgusted and laughing at the same time. Only two piece error I have ever had and it won't happen again. Operator error for sure.
strike_zone
Posted 3/3/2005 11:14 AM (#137443 - in reply to #137187)

Nothing wrong with 2 piece rods. They're plenty strong enough, although I know several people who've not fared so well with telescoping models. Apparently the telescoping area wears at a fairly progressive rate with the heavier baits, action of the lure, the increased water pressure, and the pounding that muskies dish-out. (Telescoping rods were designed for flipping to largemouth.) I've only ever had one rod break at the joint, and this rod just went strange. The whole blank just went "soft"; almost like it underwent some kind of chemical reaction. (That was a Diawa rod about 7-8 years ago.) I use Penn Pursuits for trolling now... 9' and 10'6" models - both 2 piece. The latter will haul snowmobiles around the lake.

I have to admit a preference for 1-piece rods for casting, which gets to be challenging when you like long rods in the 7'6" to 8' range as far as purchasing, transporting, and storing. The prolonged casting action can cause the rod pieces to separate. Not a huge problem in itself - more inconvenient. But, if the rod got sufficient torque placed on it near to the point of separation, this could cause a break.

Regards,

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)