Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Looking for ideas...Bassmasters coming in 2005.

Message Subject: Looking for ideas...Bassmasters coming in 2005.
Mark H.
Posted 9/28/2004 2:20 PM (#119721)
Subject: Looking for ideas...Bassmasters coming in 2005.

Let me start out by saying that I don't want this to turn into a Bass vs Muskie post or tournament vs non-tournament post.

I learned late last week that in June of 2005 Bassmasters is bringing their Elite 50 tour to one of our local lakes. This is the "big-time"...Live ESPN coverage the whole nine yards.

The lake they will be on also has muskies in it and experience has shown that muskies are often incidentally caught by bass anglers in the spring, let alone "Elite 50" pro's who are the best of the best. This lake is primarily a Smallmouth lake and Smallies and Muskies are often inhabiting the same ares this time of year.

I am assuming they will be on the lake a minimum of 7-8 days with pre-fishing and the tourney. Realistically they stand the chance of catching quite a few muskies of every size. My concern is in how they handle them to decrease the potential for a high mortality rate.

Lengthy fights on light tackle, improper or lack of proper release tools, etc. are all potential problems. Placing professionalism on the side of Bassmasters, the group of pro's and co-anglers I would hope they would want to minimize damage to the resource. But let's face it when you're fishing for huge money incidentally caught fish of other species may not get the best treatment when time=money and when anglers may not be prepared to deal with 30-48 inch fish with teeth and little or no release equipment/knowledge.

I am considering writting to Bassmasters with my concerns but I would also like to offer possible solutions to the problem.

I think the opportunity for an event like this locally is a nice boost to the economy but I also want to make sure Bassmasters is aware of issues they may not be expecting. The carnival will be in town for about two weeks at best and then they're gone...The potential damage to the muskie fishery could take 10-15 years or longer to repair. And that's only with a well funded properly managed stocking program and having mother-nature on your side.

Wondering from others out there if you have ever experienced similar events in your local area? If so how did it effect the muskie fishery? What measures were taken to help ensure incidentally caught fish were properly handled and released.

Appreciate your feedback.

Mark Hintz
www.muskyadventures.com
MuskieFIRST Staff
President, First WI Chapter Muskies Inc.

mikie
Posted 9/28/2004 2:48 PM (#119725 - in reply to #119721)
Subject: RE: Looking for ideas...Bassmasters coming in 2005.

Mark, some good thoughts and well worth the consideration. That they are now owned by ESPN will be a positive and negative: positive in that they will be ultra-sensitive to adverse publicity, neg. in that getting to someone in the organization who can really do something about your concerns could be extra difficult.

Maybe start with Muskies, Inc. and ask the International to make a first contact with BM (giggle / sorry!) - one big fishing organization to another. Offer to be a local contact. MI has worked up some excellent release brochures you can make available. Jim Smith at the magazine might be a good place to start, good luck with this! m
Beaver
Posted 9/28/2004 4:42 PM (#119741 - in reply to #119721)

I've been a member of BASS for many years. They are definitely a stand up organization.
I believe that the Muskies Inc. people in the area should get in contact with the people from BASS and express their concerns just as you have here. I'm willing to bet that you will be greeted by a cooperative bunch of people who will take your advice and share your concerns.
The State DNR should also receive a letter from MI or from you addressing the same issues. Input from people to the DNR will be passed along to BASS.
If it's a good smallie fishery to begin with, I'm sure light tackle battles happen on a regular basis. Once again here's an opportunity for us to educate the public about the importance of CPR and proper fish handling. Who knows, we might be able to give a lesson nationally if ESPN is covering it. Jerry Mcginnis is envolved with their telecasts, and I know that he is very supportive of conservation issues as is his sidekick.
Start now. Get the word out and get it out often and to several groups.
Take the ball and run with it.
Beav
Sloanranger
Posted 9/28/2004 6:42 PM (#119750 - in reply to #119721)

Mark,

How's it going? I think if you notify them (BASS) with your concerns, maybe include a flyer they can hand out at the pre-tourny meeting on safe handling of muskies, all will be well. Muskies Inc. probably has a flyer of this type.

J.Sloan
Badfish Outdoors
chinwhiskers
Posted 9/28/2004 11:25 PM (#119788 - in reply to #119725)

We have bass contest's all the time on cave run lake and they dont seem to damage muskie fishing any, talk to some bass fisherman that fish here as they whoud know more. most of them shake them off in the water. Marv.
Mark H.
Posted 9/29/2004 6:43 AM (#119797 - in reply to #119721)

Appreciate the comments guys. All things on my list of "what to do". My goals is to educate and work with Bassmasters on this. In no way do I want to stand in the way or make a big stink. I will start with making an attempt to contact key people within Bassmasters and take it from there.

Appreciate your thought and responses.

Best,

Mark Hintz
www.muskieadventures.com
MuskieFIRST staff
Seriously
Posted 10/14/2004 11:49 AM (#121346 - in reply to #119797)

I sympathize with your concerns. First, these guys are professionals. I have faith that any fish caught will be treated correctly - probably not with the care that you or I would give the fish, but more than adequately.

Realistiaclly, you are probably looking at a few dozen fish caught by these guys.

10 to fifteen years damage? I think thats an overestimation of gigantic proportions. I think educating the recreational weekend type fishermen would be time and effort far more effectively utilized.

Just my two cents.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)