Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Battery Care?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Battery Care?
esox14
Posted 6/18/2004 1:13 PM (#110089)
Subject: Battery Care?

I just thought about this today. I'm planning on goin out this afternoon(think just fishing for smaller fish) but anyways I was charging my battery. I had realized that I have had it over a year and haven't added water or anything to it. I heard from someone that you should check the electrolyte levels? How do you do that and what is the whole thing with the water where do you pour it in at and how much should I put in? Do any of you think I ruined my battery by not doing that? Thanks for any replys.
MuskieKid
Posted 6/21/2004 11:58 AM (#110233 - in reply to #110089)
Subject: RE: Battery Care?

If your battery has caps that can be taken off, it is not maintenance-free and needs DISTILLED water added to cover the plates. It should be charged after you use it EVERY time. If you are using a typical 10/2 amp charger (like you use for a car) it will charge at 10 amps until it is fully charged and then trickle charge it on the 2 amp setting and actually never cuts off. It will evaporate the water while charging, so you must keep an eye on it.

You can also go to a battery speciality shop (not Sears) to test it for you. They can add battery acid to it for you, but the battery makes its' own.
kevin
Posted 6/21/2004 6:20 PM (#110265 - in reply to #110089)
Subject: RE: Battery Care?

Best charger to use is a Deep Cycle charger like the 10 amp exide nautilus. it is supposed to be fully automatic and not have the 2amp trickle thing.. If the Battery says maintenance free don't mess with the caps... certain types of batteries will never need to be filled, like Orbital's, Optima's various Gel batteries....etc... Most normal Deep Cycles should be checked as the others mention...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)