Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> ATTN JIGGING EXPERTS...

Message Subject: ATTN JIGGING EXPERTS...
MNmatt
Posted 3/13/2004 12:16 PM (#100411)
Subject: ATTN JIGGING EXPERTS...

i was looking through a lot of rods this past week, trying to find a good spinning rod to throw some jigs and small baits.

i have a St. Croix Avid 6'6" MH rated up to 3/4 oz, but i'm looking for something around 7 or 7'6" with a little stiffer flex. Anyone have any good rods to look for?

anyone looked at the gold-cup rods from offshore angler? they look pretty solid. or the St. Croix premier 7' H spinning rated to 1 oz or 1.5 oz?

Not looking to break the bank, but i'd be nice to get a new stick. i'd like to handle some heavy bass/pike situations too...

thanks for any help.

-MNmatt
sworrall
Posted 3/13/2004 12:32 PM (#100412 - in reply to #100411)
Subject: RE: ATTN JIGGING EXPERTS...

Any rod rated for 20# line and listed as medium heavy or heavy action will do the trick, but be sure to hold it in your hands first, with a reel like the one you own on the rod. You won't be happy busting weeds if the rod blank is too stiff, no energy from the blank means no weed ripping, jaw busting hooksets.
MNmatt
Posted 3/13/2004 1:04 PM (#100415 - in reply to #100411)

thanks steve. always can count on ya for some good input. : )

btw, congrats on the new addition to the family.

-MNmatt
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 3/15/2004 11:33 AM (#100597 - in reply to #100411)

I had one made from a 7ft st croix blank, only cost me and get this $85.00 to have it made. I like it as its stiff enough to power fish out of the weeds and can throw heavier jigs and rubber. I throw some that are 2 and half ounces. I do agree there are others you can buy but don't go to to light of an action. Its more important to watch the line for strike indicators then to feel the strike.

Pfeiff
crazycanuck
Posted 3/16/2004 8:41 PM (#100799 - in reply to #100411)

I use a 6'6" heavy action rod for most of my jigging needs (Shimano Compre, $120 CDN I believe). Lots of backbone for ripping free of weeds and setting the hook and still allows you to cast a a 1/2 oz. jig and plastic with ease. As mentioned before, you will see more strikes than you will feel (watch your line religiously!!!), therefore you want a rod with its action geared towards casting, ripping, and setting the hook.

Edited by crazycanuck 3/16/2004 8:46 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)