Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Vise Model Recommendations

Message Subject: Vise Model Recommendations
Flatlite
Posted 9/12/2024 10:40 AM (#1030772)
Subject: Vise Model Recommendations

I'm having difficulties finding a vise with the majority of use being with a throttle cable style coil for Musky sized bucktails. I'd like it to have rotating functionality when tying.

I've seen some very old threads on the topic from various searches, but didn't want to necro-post some on some of those.

Some of my research has found the following:
I see that Moores has a vise in their catalog that might fit the bill, but they don't have much info on the various accessories and cartridges other than one picture.
Are any members using that model that could share their experience?

-I saw an older thread on a "Wiley's" model that looked very robust and reasonably priced, but cannot find any current info on it.

-I see that Norvise, looks very high-end and priced accordingly, but might not be well suited towards coil clamping.

-The Stinson looks great with cables only, but doesn't appear to have any versatility with clamping up a larger treble or jig on occasion.

I don't really have a hard budget- I'd like to stay under $300, but am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
chuckski
Posted 9/12/2024 8:55 PM (#1030782 - in reply to #1030772)
Subject: Re: Vise Model Recommendations

I use a Du Bro bucktail maker and it's like 65 bucks and a Hagen's for making leaders. We've had Hagens for so long I have no idea on price except they have paid for itself over and over again. I make my own bucktails and leaders.
Flatlite
Posted 9/13/2024 11:43 AM (#1030791 - in reply to #1030782)

Thanks for the feedback.
But I'm really looking for a clamp to hold coils (and hooks) for the purpose of tying flashabou, hair, or feathers on.

I've seen the Du-bro, and while I don't have it, I've got the tools for bending wire to fit my needs/volume for bucktail/blade wires.
chuckski
Posted 9/13/2024 6:10 PM (#1030799 - in reply to #1030772)

As far as clamping down on coils and hooks I found a older then dirt fly tying vise around here that works for me.
sledge51
Posted 9/14/2024 7:05 AM (#1030804 - in reply to #1030772)

I made my own. Of course, I was working in a toolroom at the time. Pretty sure I made two actually. One for coils and one for spinnerbait heads and 8/0 hooks. They appear to have been lost in the move as I can nnot locate them now.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 9/15/2024 1:35 PM (#1030822 - in reply to #1030772)

If we are talking about a vise for tying. Can’t go wrong with a dyna king.
fatturtle011
Posted 9/27/2024 2:48 PM (#1030984 - in reply to #1030772)
Subject: RE: Vise Model Recommendations

MOORES HAS A GREST VISE FOR ALL TAIL APPLICATIONS. I HAVE ONE, MADE TAILS AND SUCH FOR SALE BACK WHEN AND CAN HELP YOU OUT. ALSO, HAVE A TON OF STUFF FROM THOSE DAYS TO MOVE ON BECAUSE I'M LIVING THE SIMPLE LIFE ON A GREAT ( MY OPINION) MUSKY LAKE AND I NO LONGER NEED TO HIRE A YOUNGSTER TO HALL MY MANY TACKLE BOXES TO MY BOAT. GOT THAT PART FIGURED OUT BUT STILL SUBJECT TO THE LATEST AND GREATEST. AREN'T WE ALL?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)