Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Vermilion

Message Subject: Vermilion
muskymartin67
Posted 6/29/2024 6:44 PM (#1029401)
Subject: Vermilion

Any recent reports? Me and a friend are going to Spring Bay over the 4th. weekend for 3 days. I have fished the lake many times since the late 90s. I know what to expect, I have mostly fished the East end, but have spent some time on the West end also, but its been a few years, not looking for your secret spots- just general info, I know the water level is up quite a bit, is the mayfly hatch in full swing or towards the tail end, is there a Konga line on the community spots as always LoL
chuckski
Posted 6/30/2024 7:15 AM (#1029404 - in reply to #1029401)
Subject: Re: Vermilion

The 4th of July has always been one of my favourate times to be in the great north woods, yes it's the peak of the summer time crush of people for good reason. With the May Fly hatch even the open water bite may be crowded along with the community spots. I would find some smaller spots that we all drive by a million times and stop and fish them. Or you can dig around in the slop where no one likes to fish. You will have a good time and make a few casts for me.
kap
Posted 7/2/2024 8:00 AM (#1029452 - in reply to #1029401)

the question was any recent reports? ( more like the open eater bit is mostly over) from guys that fished there last week
i didn't so I can't coment
muskymartin67
Posted 7/2/2024 7:15 PM (#1029482 - in reply to #1029401)

Yes Kap nailed it was just looking for some general info - too bad most guys are pretty tight lipped about anything to do with the big V. I did not ask for any spots or secret lures, and BTW thought Id mention now that I dont have FFS. Oh well I guess I should have expected that, anyhow Im sure Steve will fill me in when I get there Thursday morning, I was just putting some feelers out there as Im pretty anxious, this is my first real outing this year- had a couple that fell through for one reason or another, Either way I will post a report when I return. Tight lines <•))))))))))))))>{

Edited by muskymartin67 7/2/2024 7:20 PM
TheShow
Posted 7/3/2024 9:48 AM (#1029489 - in reply to #1029482)

I'll be going up the 13th for a week so I'm following this thread as well. I do know water levels are way up. Not a lot of rain in the 10 day forecast thankfully.

We stay on the east side however I do typically spend a day or two exploring the west. Our crappie bite has fallen off in recent years over there.

I did get frustrated with FFS sharpshooter guides last year. I did get cut off a couple times because they stopped to cast at a fish they found that I was working my way towards.

Good luck up there!
Show
Baby Mallard
Posted 7/3/2024 6:16 PM (#1029498 - in reply to #1029482)

muskymartin67 - 7/2/2024 7:15 PM

Yes Kap nailed it was just looking for some general info - too bad most guys are pretty tight lipped about anything to do with the big V. I did not ask for any spots or secret lures, and BTW thought Id mention now that I dont have FFS. Oh well I guess I should have expected that, anyhow Im sure Steve will fill me in when I get there Thursday morning, I was just putting some feelers out there as Im pretty anxious, this is my first real outing this year- had a couple that fell through for one reason or another, Either way I will post a report when I return. Tight lines <•))))))))))))))>{

Good luck, Martin! I haven't muskie fished Vermilion for about 10 years so I am really no help in that regard. Awesome multi-species lake if the muskie don't cooperate.
muskymartin67
Posted 7/8/2024 12:10 PM (#1029651 - in reply to #1029401)

So it seems the mayfly hatch is near the end, first two days saw lots of bait breaking the surface and feeding in the basin, on Saturday the activity slowed down quite a bit, tried some trolling in the evenings and my friend had one on for about a minute, but came off, he also had one hit a glider in the weeds, and another follow in a big ribber bait casting the basin mid day. Then I had a fish hit a dive and rise bait in a weedy bay also mid day- looked to be low to mid 40s, but didn't stay pinned. I did get a little musky in the weeds looked to be about 28" didn't measure it. Water temps started out in the upper 60's, and reached as high as 73 during the heat of the day overall was a good time, had some opportunities, seen some fish, but it was as tough as I remember it last time I was there, Spring Bay was definitely too notch, and Steve was very helpful with tips and suggestions. I will be back!

Edited by muskymartin67 7/8/2024 1:11 PM
TheShow
Posted 7/25/2024 11:31 AM (#1029985 - in reply to #1029651)

We were up there 7/13 - 7/20 on the east side. We did have some musky action the first half of the week on sunken islands, rock bars, and rocky shore lines; both casting and trolling. However, only kept one pinned. My son landed a 37; but we did have encounters with bigger fish. Then we had a weather and wind direction change and the muskies disappeared the rest of the week. Zero action after that.

We did spend a day and a half on the west side. We didn't catch a single crappie. Our lodge owner warned us crappies were tough this year. He wasn't kidding! Not a one! Did stumble into to some nice gills though while searching for crappies. Lots of largemouth action in the lilly pads and weeds though.

Walleyes were finnicky and hitting light. We did get some but not like previous years. As mentioned above there were still portions of the East side having additional mayfly hatches. When we got away from those areas of big bay, we could get our eyes.

Lastly, mosquitoes were worse than normal with all the rain they've had. Water levels were way up. It was funny seeing all the piers and lifts unusable, underwater.

Weather and the bite change from year to year up there, but yet I keep going back. I do enjoy it up there.
Tommy
Posted 7/26/2024 8:44 AM (#1030000 - in reply to #1029401)

I hear ya on the last point. I have great fishing and awful fishing and everything in between up here. Still fun no matter what though.
Jeremy
Posted 7/28/2024 5:06 PM (#1030019 - in reply to #1029401)

Man I spent a full month on the Big V on a fam. vacation. The lake was obviously flooded with runoff and up a full 16"-18" and the water was murky/dirty when we arrives late June, The first week I managed 5 walleyes for 7 days of fishing with two guys and ---that--was--that!!!!!!

Zero 'eye's afterwards and the musky seeing was sparse - at best - and nothing boated. But I also "called it" and settled in for some massive bluegills and a years supply of reading material!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did see a 52 brought in at the lodge but that guy deserved it...he stayed out big-time... Me? Nah...it was terrible...I quit!!!

Worst year of my last 33 yrs up there............. So there's that..... What can i say, I just gave up the ghost and oddly enuff....I was 100% good with that!
MuskyMidget
Posted 7/31/2024 4:40 PM (#1030048 - in reply to #1029401)

Saw a 52" brought in at the lodge? I hope it was a picture he brought in because the size limit on Vermilion is 54"
Jeremy
Posted 7/31/2024 7:44 PM (#1030050 - in reply to #1030048)

MuskyMidget - 7/31/2024 4:40 PM

Saw a 52" brought in at the lodge? I hope it was a picture he brought in because the size limit on Vermilion is 54" :)

Sorry, I saw a PHOTO of a nice 52"er...it was promptly released!
Handy1
Posted 8/8/2024 9:50 PM (#1030166 - in reply to #1029401)
Subject: RE: Vermilion

We were up there July 20-27 and it was my best week ever! 2-50”, 2-40”, & 2-30” Muskies. I fish alone and hooked 6 Muskies and landed all them. Bucktails were the lure for the week for me. I will never forget that week!
Tommy
Posted 8/9/2024 8:14 AM (#1030171 - in reply to #1029401)

That's a hell of a week for sure! Nicely done.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)