Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Leaders

Message Subject: Leaders
Solitario Lupo
Posted 7/5/2024 1:21 PM (#1029575)
Subject: Leaders

I know you guys are probably getting tired of this post about leaders but here’s another. I did a search but couldn’t get nothing to come up on old posts.

So here goes I’ve been fishing some smaller lures and am casting them in shallow waters that a clear. I’ve been using afw wire leaders. 20lb for my flies and 80lb for my lures. I get a lot of followers but I think they see the leader and shy away. In murky muddy waters they seem to hit better or on bigger lures. Would like to go to fluorocarbon.
What’s the lightest lb I can use or your go to.
IAJustin
Posted 7/5/2024 3:09 PM (#1029578 - in reply to #1029575)
Subject: Re: Leaders

I have done a lot of sight pike fishing with flies in the past, it was a good learning curve for what limits bite off vs what tends to eliminate bite offs. I also use this as a reference because pike tend to engulf flies.. Starting around 40Lb flouro you definitely limit bite offs but they did happen and you'll be replacing the leader often, many times every fish... move up to 80lb I personally have never been bit off on a fly pike on anything 80lb+...to be extra cautious I use 130lb for muskies - again never bit off. That being said I found for pike and flies, light single strand wire with a haywire twist got as many maybe more bites than using 80lb flouro. I definitely would NOT use less than 80Lb to TARGET pike and muskies, I will say when I'm multi-species fishing, like throwing jerks for walleyes in the spring, a couple feet of 40lb in front of small lures has allowed me to land a bunch of pike and muskie. Tight lines
Solitario Lupo
Posted 7/8/2024 10:19 AM (#1029645 - in reply to #1029575)

Thanks
RikkiTikkii
Posted 7/9/2024 7:59 AM (#1029667 - in reply to #1029575)
Subject: RE: Leaders

For what it is worth I was recently bit off at a pike only lake with 80lb flouro I was twitching and pausing a floating crank had a big bite on a pause and then quickly broke off and reeled in half of my leader. Interestingly my crank bait popped up nearby and I retrieved it and the other half of my leader. I just wish I knew what the fish looked like - the lake is capable of 40”+…
nar160
Posted 7/10/2024 10:08 AM (#1029684 - in reply to #1029578)

IAJustin - 7/5/2024 3:09 PM

I have done a lot of sight pike fishing with flies in the past, it was a good learning curve for what limits bite off vs what tends to eliminate bite offs. I also use this as a reference because pike tend to engulf flies.. Starting around 40Lb flouro you definitely limit bite offs but they did happen and you'll be replacing the leader often, many times every fish... move up to 80lb I personally have never been bit off on a fly pike on anything 80lb+...to be extra cautious I use 130lb for muskies - again never bit off. That being said I found for pike and flies, light single strand wire with a haywire twist got as many maybe more bites than using 80lb flouro. I definitely would NOT use less than 80Lb to TARGET pike and muskies, I will say when I'm multi-species fishing, like throwing jerks for walleyes in the spring, a couple feet of 40lb in front of small lures has allowed me to land a bunch of pike and muskie. Tight lines

That's really good info. Lots of fear mongering these days about fluoro. I've caught ~300 muskies on 175#, never had a bite off or really seem even close.

What is your thought on acceptable leader length? How short can you get away with? I use 12" from tie point on swivel to connection point on snap. Seems to be OK for most baits, but I worry a little about some baits like gliders or tubes where the motion of the bait and slack line allow the leader get closer to the bait.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)