Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Which Beast?

Message Subject: Which Beast?
zelmo
Posted 6/30/2024 6:48 AM (#1029403)
Subject: Which Beast?

I am looking for a reel to put on a Long Ranger to throw downsize bucktails and spinners. I was going to put a Tranx on it but have decided to give the Toro Beast a try as some here have stated casting distance on them is great.

My question is 61-HS or 41-HS? I have average size hands and wear a ML glove.
kdawg
Posted 6/30/2024 7:51 AM (#1029405 - in reply to #1029403)
Subject: RE: Which Beast?

I guess it would come down to which reel would balance out the rod better. That would be a decision you would have to make. I would lean more to the 41 size, but the 61 could be a better choice for you. Either way, that combo is big $$, so if your able to put both reels on the rod before purchasing to help out with your decision, I would suggest it. Kdawg
zelmo
Posted 6/30/2024 8:44 AM (#1029406 - in reply to #1029405)
Subject: RE: Which Beast?

kdawg - 6/30/2024 8:51 AM

so if your able to put both reels on the rod before purchasing to help out with your decision, I would suggest it. Kdawg

Unfortunately I won't be able to do that. I won't even be able to handle the reels before making the purchase.

This won't be the first time I have bought reels sight unseen. I just need to pick one and pull the trigger. Maybe this will help me - how do they compare (size) to the Tranx 400 or 300? I can see the line capacity and weight. Is that the best way to choose?
Cedar
Posted 6/30/2024 8:47 AM (#1029407 - in reply to #1029403)
Subject: Re: Which Beast?

I have both, and there is quite a size difference between them. I use a 5 gear Beast 40 on MH rods rated up to 4 oz, and it easily throws those baits. A Beast 60 is a pretty large size reel to put on a Ranger, but if that works for you, try it. You can always change if you don't like it. I primarily use a HS Beast 60 on a big rubber rod. A Beast 60 will throw smaller baits, but doesn't seem (to me) to be the right tool for the job. The Beast 40 is one of my favorite reels, and have boated quite a few fish up to 50" with it.
zelmo
Posted 6/30/2024 9:12 AM (#1029408 - in reply to #1029407)
Subject: Re: Which Beast?

Cedar - 6/30/2024 9:47 AM

I have both, and there is quite a size difference between them. I use a 5 gear Beast 40 on MH rods rated up to 4 oz, and it easily throws those baits. A Beast 60 is a pretty large size reel to put on a Ranger, but if that works for you, try it. You can always change if you don't like it. I primarily use a HS Beast 60 on a big rubber rod. A Beast 60 will throw smaller baits, but doesn't seem (to me) to be the right tool for the job. The Beast 40 is one of my favorite reels, and have boated quite a few fish up to 50" with it.

Thanks for that. Abu Garcia is having a big 4th sale so I pulled the trigger on the 41-HS for $180.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)