Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Winter Spearing

Message Subject: Winter Spearing
Jimbo
Posted 2/6/2024 7:54 AM (#1026206)
Subject: Winter Spearing

I am not commenting. Express your own opinions.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2024/02/05/wisco...
Video
https://www.jsonline.com/videos/news/2024/02/05/tribal-members-in-wi...

Edited by Jimbo 2/6/2024 9:22 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Mukie Spearing.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Mukie Spearing.jpg (103KB - 32 downloads)
North of 8
Posted 2/6/2024 9:38 AM (#1026211 - in reply to #1026206)
Subject: Re: Winter Spearing

Old news. 40 years ago last year, federal court ruled affirming treaty rights.
MartinTD
Posted 2/6/2024 11:40 AM (#1026216 - in reply to #1026206)

Too bad for Pelican Lake, but all you can do is grin and bear it.

Edited by MartinTD 2/6/2024 11:42 AM
Solitario Lupo
Posted 2/6/2024 12:14 PM (#1026218 - in reply to #1026206)

Just like bow fishing useless unless you need food.
JKahler
Posted 2/8/2024 12:33 PM (#1026303 - in reply to #1026206)

I wonder what their youth participation rate is compared to the previous 3 decades. Is it growing, staying the same or supposedly decreasing like hunting and fishing for the rest of the population.

esoxaddict
Posted 2/8/2024 12:52 PM (#1026304 - in reply to #1026206)

The article says youth participation is growing. It's their right, and I support that. I also think that the tribes might be more helpful with conservation efforts and stocking if it was for a resource they actually used.

That said, I've read the consumption advisories for the lakes in that area. Seems mercury contamination is such that they advise people to not eat muskies even if they are caught and harvested legally. Taking muskies (especially large muskies) to smoke and distribute to the tribes? Uhhh... I don't know how much mercury it takes to mess you up but when the authorities say don't feed it to kids or women of childbearing age, and everyone else should eat no more than one meal a month, somehow taking kids out spearing doesn't sound like a good idea.
Ranger
Posted 2/12/2024 6:59 PM (#1026442 - in reply to #1026206)

Many years back I spoke with a guy spearing muskies thru the ice in WI. His set up was kinda cool; he laid down a camping pad, built a frame from fiberglass poles and draped blankets over the whole thing, looked like an igloo. He had a spear with a long thin rope, maybe 100', that ran out of the tent. He laid on his stomach in the pitch-dark tent. His process was to jig a decoy, spear the muskie and then play it forever with that long rope. He wanted the fish to be near dead when he finally brought it back to the hole. When I asked what he did with the fish he smiled and said he would have it mounted and then sell it to a doctor or dentist to hang on the office wall.

Fast forward 20 years and I walk into my local marina in SW MI and see 2 photos tacked to the wall, one had 2 low 40" pike and the other 3 low 40" pike, Speared. Dates said the guy recently killed them over 2 days ON THE 80 ACRE LAKE where I lived at that time. That mother humper killed 5 female pike over 40" in an 80-acre lake. I got his name, figured out where he lived and I went the **** to his house. As soon as I started in he was clearly upset with what he had done, almost in tears. Some other locals had got to him first and from them he learned what he had done to the big breeder population in such a small lake. And what did he do with those fish? Nothing, he threw them in his backyard because he didn't know how to clean a pike. We finished with him swearing off spearing thru the ice and never, ever coming back to the lake where I lived. great person.
oconesox
Posted 2/12/2024 8:40 PM (#1026443 - in reply to #1026206)
Subject: RE: Winter Spearing

I have no issue with it. These are traditions that their people have been participating in for survival, long before anyone would have considered fishing for “sport”. I’m glad to see their elders mentoring their young people and passing on their traditions.

While this harvest surely has an impact on the musky populations that we target for sport, I feel the benefit to their families and culture outweighs the negative impact in the grand scheme. Just my 2 cents.

Andy

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)