Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Getting thru the winter ideas #1 (add your own)

Message Subject: Getting thru the winter ideas #1 (add your own)
Ranger
Posted 2/2/2024 2:51 PM (#1026107)
Subject: Getting thru the winter ideas #1 (add your own)

This one goes out to everybody, with kids, who have been to the shows, tuned and respooled reels, sharpened and painted all the hook tips of the boat box lures, repacked trailer bearings, replaced the trailer light wiring just in case, and there's nothing left to do. Winter drags on, the wife is cranky and the kids are worse. The ice remains safe but the kids don't have the patience to fish.

So, get a box of Ritz Crackers and a pellet gun. (Or a Red Ryder if the kids are little.) Go out on the ice, drill holes, set up the tent and tip ups and then build a target range by sticking the crackers in the snow. Now you can supervise the kids and watch for flags. Just before the kids get bored make them stop and break out lunch. Feed 'em. Pack up while they are eating, bring 'em home. Leave them wanting more.

Worked for me in the Yoop. Hope it's helpful.

Edited by Ranger 2/2/2024 3:13 PM
Ranger
Posted 2/2/2024 9:05 PM (#1026124 - in reply to #1026107)
Subject: Re: Getting thru the winter ideas #1 (add your own)

Ok, fine, here's what to not do. Do not pack your dishwasher with your cranks, glides and surface lures. It might seem like a good idea, takes maybe a half hour to load 'em. But I assure you it will take 4+ hours of "Why the hell did I do this?" to get them all out, plus a backache. Way better to have a brush and a couple 5gal buckets of hot soapy water and hot water and again hot water. Dunk, scrub, dunk scrub, rinse twice and hang to dry. Wash out the hair baits, too, just swish like crazy. Anyway, no dishwasher.
ToddM
Posted 2/3/2024 8:24 AM (#1026128 - in reply to #1026107)

Completely immerse myself in cable news.jk. I still try to fish, winter lake trout and river sauger are fun. I also work long hours 6 days a week and I'm doing 2 workouts a day.
chuckski
Posted 2/3/2024 11:42 AM (#1026138 - in reply to #1026107)

I was hopeful for a in town Ice fishing tip after all we had a good week of nights way below zero and a couple days we were lucky to reach to get above zero. That was three weeks ago, well a couple weeks of highs in the 50's and 60's we got open water or very thin ice. Yesterday was Ground hog day and it rained all night, I got up and went to the store in the rain. Well at 9 A.M. it turned to snow. If it wasn't for cold night time temps I would thing I was back in California. I've got some good workouts in, my tackle pile is a mess and needs to be reorganized. I have a wire bender to make Bucktails but I need another Bucktail like I need a hole in my head. As far as cleaning lures I just dip then in a bucket of water (no soap) and clean them with a old wash clothe and some elbow grease. As far a BB guns go I have a old Crossman 760 PowerMaster that the seals need to be replaced. I wonder if I can get parts? or maybe a gun smith? This BB gun is from the early 70's and the new ones are made way cheaper.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 2/3/2024 12:10 PM (#1026139 - in reply to #1026107)

I don’t ice fish so anything inside for fishing is game. Rod building, lure making, fly tying, etc. I also do Lego building and now may try to paint some things I’ve been watching bob ross to much lol. For something other than fishing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)