Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Throwing a Follow-up Bait

Message Subject: Throwing a Follow-up Bait
VanderLaan
Posted 10/1/2022 4:49 PM (#1013352)
Subject: Throwing a Follow-up Bait

Today my 11 year old had a big fish follow a bucktail to the boat and while he did his best to get a bite on some figure eights, after two misses, the fish swam off. In this situation, do you throw a bait in the direction of where the fish went? Where it came from? What kind of bait do you use for a follow up? Never really gave it much thought until today. Curious what everyone else would have done in this situation.
chuckski
Posted 10/1/2022 5:54 PM (#1013355 - in reply to #1013352)
Subject: Re: Throwing a Follow-up Bait

I throw a MI Twinn Finn. I just throw it out in front of the fish in the direction it went and intercept it a couple hark jerks and hopefully it hits, worked well in the past for me.
ToddM
Posted 10/2/2022 9:06 AM (#1013367 - in reply to #1013352)

Definitely something different than what was thrown. I've picked off a few fish follows being in the back while the person in the front was throwing a glider by throwing a more erratic jerkbait. It also depends on the mood of that follow thru might not commit to anything. I would try something that has speed and pause.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 10/6/2022 10:21 AM (#1013526 - in reply to #1013352)

Doesn’t hurt to try something different for it but my thing is giving the Muskie a break and going back with the same lure if can.
FlyPiker
Posted 10/6/2022 12:27 PM (#1013528 - in reply to #1013352)

If a fish is fired up I don't hesitate to throw the same bait right back, throwing it ahead of where the fish was heading. I typically only give it a cast or two - those has worked occasionally. Assuming it doesn't work; but as stated, fish was hot, I'll reposition the boat to hit the spot the fish came from, but what like 10-15 minutes so she has some time to reset. This has worked more often for me than the immediate cast back. If the follow was lazy or the first return doesn't produce anything I'll come back on a weather change or moon phase. If it was the hot fish, same lure, though I may fish it even more aggressively. If it was lazy I tend to switch lures or potentially downsize.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 10/6/2022 2:24 PM (#1013531 - in reply to #1013352)

The same cast with the same lure, the first spot of the next day has worked best for my boat. Unless they really look fired-up, I don't go back the same day...just burning and educating those fish. 8/10 times it's the same lure that gets eaten, and we often are throwing three different things at them when we come back.
BillM
Posted 10/7/2022 9:51 AM (#1013547 - in reply to #1013352)

I had a fish come back 4 times before finally eating a Suick a few weeks ago. I'll let the fish tell me what I should do. If I get nothing on follow up cast #1, I'll go back at her before the day is over. If I don't raise her again, I'll go back the next morning if that's an option.
phselect
Posted 10/7/2022 10:29 AM (#1013550 - in reply to #1013352)

Weagle
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)