Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Bucktail Madness??!!

Message Subject: Bucktail Madness??!!
Cabbage Patch
Posted 7/31/2022 12:50 PM (#1010315)
Subject: Bucktail Madness??!!

So…. after looking at many different bucktail designs I think I have my choices for the next season . I make my own which saves me money but the combinations seem endless and therefore I make ones I seem to not use. I also like to use two different blade colors when making double blades. Here are my new ideas, let me know if I’m missing a combo or need to try something:

Blade (s):
#8 Colorado and #9 Indiana heavy weight
#7 Colorado deep cup and #9 Indiana light weight
#7 Fluted Indiana
#5 Fluted Indiana
#8 Colorado double
#8 Mag Colorado and #7 Colorado deep cup

Color / combos:
Nickel
Black nickel/nickel
Chartreuse / black nickel
Flo orange/gold
Copper/ gold
Nickel / white
Copper
Gold

Skirt colors:
Black
Black and red
Fire tiger
Gold and red
Gold and copper
Black and chartreuse
Black and gold
White and silver
Yellow, orange and red

Probably too many options still but I think it covers a lot of water and situations.

chuckski
Posted 7/31/2022 1:43 PM (#1010318 - in reply to #1010315)
Subject: Re: Bucktail Madness??!!

I make my own too and it's fun , but when it comes down to it except for a couple custom colors I like I need another bucktail like I need another hole in my head. Jerk baits are fun and all my big fish been caught on cranks. And if I had the money I would love to come up with my own custom crankbaits. I guess I could take a woodworking class then go to air brush school and so on.
7.62xJay
Posted 7/31/2022 3:02 PM (#1010322 - in reply to #1010315)

No love for large double willows?
Cabbage Patch
Posted 7/31/2022 4:10 PM (#1010325 - in reply to #1010322)

7.62xJay - 7/31/2022 3:02 PM

No love for large double willows?

Not yet. Fished some but never had any luck on them.
JHC
Posted 7/31/2022 5:00 PM (#1010326 - in reply to #1010315)

Are you thinking 1 or maybe 2 baits per blade style? I agree that in the end a good mix of 6 - 10 baits is all that is really needed to cover the bases. Toward that count, I personally would work in a double 10 with one of your black skirts and a baitfish skirt color like walleye for one of your mid size blades. Depends on your local water. Good luck!
7.62xJay
Posted 7/31/2022 5:06 PM (#1010327 - in reply to #1010315)

Huh, they're my go to when I feel like a little deeper and slower and banging the weeds is the recipe, but yet spinner baits aren't a large enough profile. To be honest I haven't hooked up either with em but they raise plenty of fish. I struggle to maintain the blades going in the 8 and when those blades stop its game over.
chuckski
Posted 7/31/2022 6:41 PM (#1010330 - in reply to #1010315)

Back in the day M&G Spinnerbaits made ginormous three tail sections and the gap between blade and the spinner was huge. On my tandems I put on the brass swivel (with snap) for more thump and on my singles the best ball baring swivel (with snap) for ease of helicoptering. Single hooks hook and hold well. The largest Muskie we ever caught was on a standard size spinnerbait, however it had a treble hook and it was a pain to store so I gave it to my dad caught a Kongish sized fish on it.
Cabbage Patch
Posted 7/31/2022 8:06 PM (#1010331 - in reply to #1010327)

7.62xJay - 7/31/2022 5:06 PM

Huh, they're my go to when I feel like a little deeper and slower and banging the weeds is the recipe, but yet spinner baits aren't a large enough profile. To be honest I haven't hooked up either with em but they raise plenty of fish. I struggle to maintain the blades going in the 8 and when those blades stop its game over.

I might try a couple of large will as well.
miket55
Posted 7/31/2022 9:32 PM (#1010333 - in reply to #1010315)

I'm going to go nuts with the #8 Colorado/#9 Indiana combo, along with #5, 6, and 7 fluted blades, maybe even a some #8s. Mag 8/10, and #7/Mag 8 Colorado combos are also part of the plan.

I also want to make some downsized double blades using a single skirt, and a #6/#8 Colorado/Magnum. Double tails will be used on an #8/#10 Magnum/Magnum combo. I also plan on trying a one size offset with Colorado/Indiana, and Indiana/Indiana blades.

As for willows, one of the old timers down here, swears by a #9 willow leaf on a 1 oz. "Y" armed spinnerbait, with a smaller colorado down the shaft....he's made some impressive catches over the years, and has the pics to prove it..

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)