Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Needing help with choosing what to fish muskie with

Message Subject: Needing help with choosing what to fish muskie with
zbi
Posted 7/12/2022 9:27 PM (#1008697)
Subject: Needing help with choosing what to fish muskie with

I'm brand new to muskie fishing, and have zero idea what I should be using. I'll primarily be fishing off of a spillway, just dropping my rig into the water and letting it sit. I got a list of things I was going to try out, and wanted to see what you all thought of them. Plus, see if you all had any other things I could use. Here's the list of things I have picked out:

Okuma ABF-4000 spinning reel (owned, has baitfeeder lever)
Berkely Triline Big Game Braid, 20lbs (owned)
Big Cat fever spinning rod, medium-heavy
Nose clip rip with some sort of minnow
Some kind of steel leader

You see all this catfish-type gear, because I primarily fish catfish and wanted to get a heavy enough setup for both types of fish.
What do you all think about the gear I have picked out, and what would you recommend I change, if anything?
Thanks.
Rudedog
Posted 7/13/2022 5:46 AM (#1008705 - in reply to #1008697)
Subject: RE: Needing help with choosing what to fish muskie with

I highly recommend you go out with someone who has fished muskies for a while in the area where you plan to go. Your list may be adequate, but I highly doubt it. There are alot of bad things that can happen to you and the fish from inexperience and not having correct equipment. (hook cutters, net, long nose pliers)
Please try to get with an experienced muskie angler for guidance your first few times going.

Rotorhead
Posted 7/13/2022 8:00 AM (#1008712 - in reply to #1008697)
Subject: Re: Needing help with choosing what to fish muskie with

Proper release tools:
Muskie net
Long-handle needle nose pliers
Hook cutter (a good one like Knipex)
Handling gloves for your safety
Jaw spreader

Go on YouTube and look up some of the may beginner muskie fishing videos on tactics, baits, using the tools listed above, fish handling for safe release, etc. You don't just jump into intentional muskie fishing unless you go with an experienced like Rudedog recommended above. Lots of prep required to do it right.
mikie
Posted 7/13/2022 8:05 AM (#1008714 - in reply to #1008697)

Amen to that/ I'd upgrade to 60-80 lb test line for a start. Long handled release pliers, leather palm gloves or a quality hoop net (You'll need to find a place to beach the animal), 3/0 to 5/0 treble hooks on whatever bait you're using.
Go to You tube and search bank fishing muskies, you'll at least get some starter tips. Pls. be good to the fish and release it unharmed so you can get it again when it's bigger. Spillways are great places to find fish if you can get decent access. Look for pools or current breaks that a predator can hide behind. m
zbi
Posted 7/13/2022 12:35 PM (#1008720 - in reply to #1008712)

Can I find all this gear at a bass pro or local tackle shop?
edit: wrong reply
zbi
Posted 7/13/2022 12:37 PM (#1008721 - in reply to #1008712)

Can I find all this gear at a bass pro or local tackle shop?
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/13/2022 1:57 PM (#1008723 - in reply to #1008697)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1uLyddNCHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0vb6Ra2B2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpVRre8dbQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asSQKszobp8&t=3s

I highly recommend watching these videos and taking them seriously. Muskies are different than any other fish. They are sensitive to handling and die very easily. They are also hard to catch. Watch all the youtube you can. Doug Wegner is a good source. As far and where to get the supplies, yes BP or your local shop may have the right gear but probably not. I'd look at the Musky Shop, Thorne Bros, Musky Tackle Online, and Team Rhino. The equipment you listed is not muskie gear, but since you are just planning to throw out a minnow and leave it, maybe some of it will work. If you really want to get into muskie fishing, again, watch the videos. Take note of the equipment needed to properly fish them and handle them. You do not need the best stuff. A $200 reel and $120 rod should do it. 65# braid is minimum for muskies and steel leaders that are specifically made for muskies are required. Don't just get any old leader off the shelf at BP. Hook cutters and a big net are the most important tools you need. Needle nose pliers with a long handle are important. If you do catch one, don't just pull it up on shore and rub all the slime off the fish by letting it flop on the bank. That's a death sentence for the fish. Use your net as a livewell and leave it in the water while unhooking. Pull the fish out for a quick picture and let it go. Hold the fish's tail in the water and wait for it to swim off on it's own. Do not pump the fish back and forth to try to revive it. That's not how they breath.
zbi
Posted 7/13/2022 9:09 PM (#1008730 - in reply to #1008723)

Much appreciated. I'll watch all the videos I can and read everything I find. I already have all this heavy cat gear, figured it would work, and don't want to have to buy $300+ worth of equipment for a fish I won't even be targeting that often. Again, thank you.
mikie
Posted 7/14/2022 6:45 PM (#1008768 - in reply to #1008697)

Basspro would have the leaders and braided line, they have some baits I use.
Try muskyshop.com

m
RyanJoz
Posted 7/15/2022 9:20 AM (#1008779 - in reply to #1008697)

Where are you located? Maybe someone local to you would be willing to let you try some of their gear before you pony up big bucks.
chuckski
Posted 7/15/2022 10:58 AM (#1008783 - in reply to #1008697)

I have a Berkley hinged pliers I've had for ever also a vote for Knipex cutter. And I have extra's in my box and good place for long nose pliers is Harbor Freight. If you are really going to crank on something go with something like Craftsmen but for a release tool Harbor freight is fine. More then one pliers is resting on the bottom of the lake. Every time the Rainbow Flowage is drawn down I hear "hey Chuck you should go look for your pliers"
RJ_692
Posted 7/18/2022 1:48 PM (#1009875 - in reply to #1008697)

i personally think your catching gear is adequate. nothing at all wrong with that.

if using live bait just hit them quick you do not want to deep hook muskies as the are pretty darn fragile and susceptible to delayed mortality.

as previously noted i think the key for you is making sure you have the stuff to land and release them, other than dragging on shore if you can help it. again these fish are fragile.

Solitario Lupo
Posted 7/19/2022 10:24 AM (#1009908 - in reply to #1008697)

I’ve caught some nice ones when I was starting out on a medium heavy rod with 20lb. I would run a leader of some sort as I’ve had them cut 80lb braid like it was nothing. Get a big net and some big hook removers like suggested already.

The only reason you might have to get heavier gear is when you start throwing those huge lures. If it’s catfish gear then you can chuck out some panfish for bait.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)