Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Sling Blade, what are you throwing with it?

Message Subject: Sling Blade, what are you throwing with it?
Booch
Posted 5/21/2022 9:32 PM (#1006523)
Subject: Sling Blade, what are you throwing with it?

I've read the posts on the high-end rods here (a few times), and have landed on the Sling Blade as the one I want. I know what I want it to do, and I think it will, but would love to hear from those that have it, what they use it for. What reel and line too, please.
jdsplasher
Posted 5/21/2022 10:07 PM (#1006525 - in reply to #1006523)
Subject: RE: Sling Blade, what are you throwing with it?

Love my sling blade. Can just about fish anything with that rod.  Probably limitations would be with smaller  baits. Otherwise an all around perfect Rod. I’ve got a Revo toro Winch on that setup. Balanced perfectly/ professionally. Pretty much balances on 1 finger. 80 lb Suffix 832.

JD 

Ogandrews
Posted 5/22/2022 6:34 AM (#1006529 - in reply to #1006523)
Subject: Re: Sling Blade, what are you throwing with it?

I have a 9’ heavy legend tourney that I’m trying to sell right now, used it for a couple years. Super versatile rod. Small blades to 10’s, most crank baits, gliders dive rise, most topwaters, and smaller rubber. If your going to put that much money into a rod go and hold one in person. Personally I wouldn’t use a rod under 9’ but that’s personal preference. Just know if your going with a shorter rod that you won’t have as good of 8’s and everything takes more effort to do
southern comfort
Posted 5/22/2022 9:28 AM (#1006533 - in reply to #1006523)

I love mine and use it for blades of course. I have an 8.5' heavy and it handles all blade with exception of really small blades. I have also found it to a great rod for crank baits. Its very versatile.
Weiseyyy
Posted 5/22/2022 10:26 AM (#1006536 - in reply to #1006523)
Subject: RE: Sling Blade, what are you throwing with it?

In my personal opinion, and this is coming from a very new muskie guy, if you're going to spend that amount of money on a rod, no matter the brand, just make sure to feel it in-person. I went with a 9'6" XH Predator from Thorne as my "rod that can handle everything" setup, and it's great. Since you're already relatively close to that price range, feel free to consider them as well. Of course, St. Croix's muskie rods have always been up there with the greats as well!

Let me know what you end up going with though. Good luck to ya sir!
Mojo1269
Posted 5/22/2022 8:47 PM (#1006547 - in reply to #1006523)

I love the sling blade. I use it for top waters, swim bait, standard sized dawgs, mid medussa's and ripping cranks under 10 inches. It does well with blades but I prefer a rod at least 9' for blades. Mine caught my first Canadian 50 and my wife's PB on it...
RJ_692
Posted 5/23/2022 7:37 AM (#1006553 - in reply to #1006523)

it funny that a 8'6" rod is now considered short. I remember first getting one as it was long lol. its a really versatile rod.

i kind of seem to have a mag dawg tied on one a lot. The shorter length makes things feel less heavy.

i also use for any guests as we can clip about anything on there for them and have it be fishable. It loses a little feel with lighter stuff but still casts them well.

I have tended to use a long ranger and big nasty a bit more now however. But that kind of takes two rods to cover one.
Booch
Posted 5/26/2022 9:44 PM (#1006602 - in reply to #1006523)

Great input so far, keep it up! It definitely is funny that 8'6" is now short. Wasn't too long ago that 7'2" was my longest rod. I do have 9' rods now, but they telescope. 8'6" is about all I want hanging out of the back of my truck for 800 miles, which is why I'm specifically inquiring about this rod. I wish I could handle one first, but I don't know of anyone willing to bring one down to Missouri for a try out!
JHC
Posted 7/3/2022 1:02 PM (#1008413 - in reply to #1006602)

For me the SB is still my most versatile rod.

I have other rods too, and among them I personally find the SB to be in my sweet spot for size 7 - 9 bucktails and 7 - 9” crankbaits / twitchbaits. It also gets the majority of the duties on straight retrieve topwaters, suicks, and regular size rubber. About the only time I upsize to my 9’ H or an 8’6” XH is with mag size rubber, double 10’s, etc… although you can also press the SB into service for those too as needed if you don’t have other rod options or you are sharing rods in the boat.

I do lean toward 8’6” because half my time is spent on rivers where there is shallow water in places and very high-accuracy casts are needed to avoid snags while drifting with the current. Plus a longer rods occasionally result in the rod tip hitting rocks on the figure 8.

That said, I have found that because of the river duty I also use it most of the time in lakes now for similar reasons… it’s just a light easy rod that loads well for these uses and is very easy to control and handle.

Good luck with the purchase.
Booch
Posted 7/5/2022 5:18 PM (#1008505 - in reply to #1006523)

Well, I got one delivered a few days ago and tried it on a local pond for a bit. It seems like it'll do just want I wanted, which is what most everyone described. Slings 8s and 9s with ease, as well as most of the other lures in my boxes. Thanks for the input, it'll get broken in for real in about 3 weeks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)