Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Handle coming of off lexa tws

Message Subject: Handle coming of off lexa tws
Ogandrews
Posted 6/20/2022 6:04 PM (#1007102)
Subject: Handle coming of off lexa tws

Over the last two weeks I have ripped the handle off of both of my lexa tws while fishing, one was on a boat side hookset and the other was while ripping a husky Medusa. I had been warned by someone that the nut holding the handle on will unthread itself and of course it has happened to both of my reels now. I have a prorex that I only use for blades/straight retrieve stuff and had no issues with that, only has happened to the reels I fish rubber with. Of course with both reels the nut ended up in the bottom of the lake. Has anyone had this happen or any suggestions on how to prevent it? With the second one I had taken the nut off, put locktite on it and cranked it down hard but still came off. Just got off of the phone with diawa and they don’t know if they can send me a replacement nut until September.

With this happening twice now I’m strongly considering just ordering a tranx 500hg for big rubber and being done with it
RyanJoz
Posted 6/29/2022 12:12 PM (#1007280 - in reply to #1007102)
Subject: Re: Handle coming of off lexa tws

Don’t pull sideways on the handle. Rip rubber with the rod, not the reel handle.
jasonvkop
Posted 6/29/2022 12:21 PM (#1007281 - in reply to #1007102)
Subject: RE: Handle coming of off lexa tws

You're talking about this part unthreading and coming off, correct?

Very surprised the nut can come loose with the metal bracket/guard there. I would definitely contact Daiwa and/or return them. I love Daiwa reels, but I'm not sure I would trust getting another one of those after having two of them break on you.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(download.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments download.png (158KB - 99 downloads)
Ogandrews
Posted 6/29/2022 9:39 PM (#1007302 - in reply to #1007281)

jasonvkop - 6/29/2022 12:21 PM

You're talking about this part unthreading and coming off, correct?

Very surprised the nut can come loose with the metal bracket/guard there. I would definitely contact Daiwa and/or return them. I love Daiwa reels, but I'm not sure I would trust getting another one of those after having two of them break on you.

Yea that was where it happened, don’t really understand how it can unthread with the locking plate on there but it did on both of mine. Diawa wouldn’t send parts to me but I was able to get some from Matt’s reel repair. I’m going to try some red loctite when I put them back together and see how they do. Looking at the whole handle assembly the threads are super shallow and that nut doesn’t thread on that far so that could be the cause of it. I do somewhat pull straight up on the reel handle when I’m ripping rubber but have been fishing that way forever, never ripped a handle off of a tranx, lexa hd, or Calcutta
jchiggins
Posted 6/29/2022 9:48 PM (#1007303 - in reply to #1007102)

You answered your own question in your last sentence.
Ogandrews
Posted 6/30/2022 8:55 AM (#1007317 - in reply to #1007303)

jchiggins - 6/29/2022 9:48 PM

You answered your own question in your last sentence. ;-)

Yea I’m starting to realize that now. Outside of that issue it’s the nicest musky reel I’ve used but a smooth reel that casts far doesn’t do much for me without a handle
Cover Dog
Posted 6/30/2022 12:21 PM (#1007324 - in reply to #1007302)

Ogandrews - 6/29/2022 10:39 PM
I’m going to try some red loctite when I put them back together and see how they do.

I would not use red Loctite I would go with blue, red will require heat to remove that nut.

I have 2 of the new Daiwa Lexa TWS and have not encountered that problem. Some thing I will be looking out for from now on.
RyanJoz
Posted 7/3/2022 3:56 PM (#1008417 - in reply to #1007102)

The crank or the retainer can’t come loose if you rip with the rod. This is not the fault of the reel or daiwa. I have worked on reels for more than 20 years and am a licensed mechanical engineer.
Mak51
Posted 7/5/2022 5:19 PM (#1008506 - in reply to #1007102)

I have stripped the nut and bent the power handle on multiple reels from bad hooksets. User error in my case, I've tried to fix me but old habits die hard I guess. I've resorted to keeping spare handles & lock nuts on hand or just swapping the power handles for standard paddle handles.
chuckski
Posted 7/6/2022 12:20 PM (#1008522 - in reply to #1007102)

Over the years I've put power handles on Calcutta 400B's worked great, put power handle on my Tranx 400 tricky to get it on just right but works great (and if it is not on just right you'll know it) I bought a power handle advertised "that fits most Abu/Garcia reals" well it did not work worth a hoot on my old Ambassadeur Morum.
RLSea
Posted 7/6/2022 7:49 PM (#1008530 - in reply to #1008522)

chuckski - 7/6/2022 12:20 PM

Over the years I've put power handles on Calcutta 400B's worked great, put power handle on my Tranx 400 tricky to get it on just right but works great (and if it is not on just right you'll know it) I bought a power handle advertised "that fits most Abu/Garcia reals" well it did not work worth a hoot on my old Ambassadeur Morum.

I have one that fits a Morrum. If you want it pm me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)