Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Walleye initiative

Message Subject: Walleye initiative
ToddM
Posted 5/26/2021 2:02 PM (#980241)
Subject: Walleye initiative

We had a Wisconsin biologist speak to our club this spring and he mentioned the walleye initiative and that it impacted the ability for the state to stock musky. It seems like there would be a huge opportunity for clubs to raise money and stock fish. I know it's happening in the central part of the state. I am curious if the clubs up north are able to do the same? I would think alot of money could be raised along with grant money.
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/27/2021 12:24 PM (#980277 - in reply to #980241)
Subject: RE: Walleye initiative

We met with WDNR last night, and indeed the initiative has utilized a substantive portion of hatchery capacity. Being one of the Central WI clubs Todd mentions, we already stock, but met last night to confirm our status, and to delineate path forward. I'll be charged with proposing a 10 year plan for private stocking of our approved area waters, with oversight/approval of our local biologist and team. We will revisit the plan after quad-annual surveys, and make adjustments accordingly.

With that being said, most southern and some central WI waters are deemed Universal Receptors and can receive private hatchery 'strain' fish, whereas lakes in the native range up north, need to comply with stocking guidelines per basin/drainage in terms of specific strain stocked. There is an opportunity for private hatchery's to acquire(purchase) eggs from WDNR in order to comply with guidelines if an excess exists, but I cannot speak for northern WI clubs nor private hatcheries in terms of their plan of ops.

I also cannot speak to stocking guidelines for specific waters up north, but I do know that due to logitic challenges, certain smaller lakes once nominally stocked will be the ones removed from the list with reduced resources/fewer fish to go around. This could potentially open an opportunity for club stocking up there, provided all guidelines met. The key take-away is good communication with local WDNR biologist/s, and WDNR Musky Team to determine what can/cannot take place in terms of private stocking.

I do feel there is opportunity to help our DNR with this effort, and if done in compliance with management plan, some of these smaller waters could perhaps be augmented through club efforts.

Jason Schillinger
Vice President Consolidated Musky Club Inc.
(715)213-0050

Edited by Reef Hawg 5/27/2021 12:29 PM
ToddM
Posted 5/27/2021 9:32 PM (#980288 - in reply to #980241)
Subject: Re: Walleye initiative

Jason that was my thought there is an opportunity here. I knew strain would need to be correct. There were also different management strategies from yearly to an occasional booster shot for some lakes. I would think an adopt a Musky program would work really well with stores, tackle shops and resorts who's lakes are getting fish would participate. I could see raffles working well to raise money. Considering nthe amount not people who go up there, I can see this becoming a big deal.
killdeer
Posted 5/29/2021 6:38 AM (#980311 - in reply to #980241)

Opportunity for what though? I’m not trying to be a downer, but from past experiences the DNR is hardly on the anglers side.
ToddM
Posted 5/29/2021 12:06 PM (#980314 - in reply to #980311)

killdeer - 5/29/2021 6:38 AM

Opportunity for what though? I’m not trying to be a downer, but from past experiences the DNR is hardly on the anglers side.

The opportunity to fill as best possible the void left by the walleye initiative.
North of 8
Posted 5/29/2021 12:14 PM (#980315 - in reply to #980311)

killdeer - 5/29/2021 6:38 AM

Up until the era of Scott Walker and Kathy Stepp, the DNR in WI were on the side of anglers. Walker never fished until he was governor and Stepp did not fish or hunt until named DNR secretary and Walker stated when he appointed her that her mission was to bring a "Chamber of Commerce" point of view to the role, with the focus on making it easier for business to expand without environmental compliance issues.
Most to the DNR employees I know are avid fishermen, outdoors people. But, they get paid to do what elected officials tell them to do.
killdeer
Posted 5/29/2021 4:41 PM (#980319 - in reply to #980241)

Politics aside , way way way before walker was in office I remember a meeting with the dnr, many of the biggest names in the Wisconsin musky industry were present. It basically came down to we were idiots cause we lacked the piece of paper that said they were experts. There’s much more to it and I believe Larry Ramsell can tell you the entire story. I will say things have started to change a little, some southern waters are seeing increased stocks of fish , but a far cry from what it should and could be state wide.
ToddM
Posted 5/29/2021 6:52 PM (#980325 - in reply to #980319)

killdeer - 5/29/2021 4:41 PM

Politics aside , way way way before walker was in office I remember a meeting with the dnr, many of the biggest names in the Wisconsin musky industry were present. It basically came down to we were idiots cause we lacked the piece of paper that said they were experts. There’s much more to it and I believe Larry Ramsell can tell you the entire story. I will say things have started to change a little, some southern waters are seeing increased stocks of fish , but a far cry from what it should and could be state wide.

Wasn't that over different strains and genetics? I am talking about replacing the stocking that once took place. Seems like something that could happen.
killdeer
Posted 5/29/2021 8:38 PM (#980329 - in reply to #980241)

Correct, strains .
sworrall
Posted 5/30/2021 9:23 AM (#980335 - in reply to #980241)

' It basically came down to we were idiots cause we lacked the piece of paper that said they were experts.'

What it really came down to was tact, presentation, patience, and the ability to work through politics. OFM reluctantly played a large role in that debate both out in front of and behind the scenes and it's all still right here in the archives. We'd all have done much better without comments made loudly and out of the chute like the one above.

Overall, the DNRs in the upper Midwest manage the fisheries based upon a whole lot more than any one fishing faction might want or think. Hence the current negative muskie debate and issue in what was the crown jewel of the 'it's the fish' discussion.

I personally think the Tomahawk/Minocqua project will eventually fail, too many LMB and no sign that wll reverse. But who knows for sure until it's over....
ToddM
Posted 5/30/2021 11:33 AM (#980344 - in reply to #980335)

sworrall - 5/30/2021 9:23 AM

' It basically came down to we were idiots cause we lacked the piece of paper that said they were experts.'

What it really came down to was tact, presentation, patience, and the ability to work through politics. OFM reluctantly played a large role in that debate both out in front of and behind the scenes and it's all still right here in the archives. We'd all have done much better without comments made loudly and out of the chute like the one above.

Overall, the DNRs in the upper Midwest manage the fisheries based upon a whole lot more than any one fishing faction might want or think. Hence the current negative muskie debate and issue in what was the crown jewel of the 'it's the fish' discussion.

I personally think the Tomahawk/Minocqua project will eventually fail, too many LMB and no sign that wll reverse. But who knows for sure until it's over....

Building a good relationship with the DNR is the way to go. For a very long time any fish we or another club stocked in the Fox Chain were subtracted from state stocking. Years of financial support of the DNR, having them speak at our club has curtailed the restriction. Our fish are now extra.
North of 8
Posted 5/30/2021 12:04 PM (#980346 - in reply to #980335)

sworrall - 5/30/2021 9:23 AM

It is an interesting project, but if there is no real natural reproduction after five years, not sure what will change over the next five years of catch and release only. But, it may be the basis for future fish management.

"OK, they are not naturally reproducing so if we want to have a walleye fishery, we must accept the fact that we will have to pay to raise/release hatchery fish and those that wish to fish walleye will have to pay something extra to do so".

I hope something happens to reverse the trend but wouldn't bet on it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)