Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tactics for a NE Wind

Message Subject: Tactics for a NE Wind
Slamr
Posted 5/19/2020 1:50 PM (#960097)
Subject: Tactics for a NE Wind

Kills me that my new nickname is "East Winds Andy"....but I figure we all struggle in poopyty East and North East winds. Other than alcohol or other "things", any tips on catching fishing in this crap that Mother Nature hits me with continually?
RLSea
Posted 5/19/2020 7:28 PM (#960119 - in reply to #960097)
Subject: Re: Tactics for a NE Wind

I think it's different for different areas. We used to fish Minaki area a lot and when we got an east wind we headed for a specific island complex and fished east side of the complex. We always scored well there. One time I caught my largest walleye there during such time. My wife caught her biggest walleye there also. One other time we raised 7 muskies in 30 minutes of going crazy, then just quit. Didn't really do well at other times.
djwilliams
Posted 5/19/2020 11:55 PM (#960127 - in reply to #960097)

If I can get out of a cold NE wind then I do it. I have an island to hide behind when that is going. I also tend to troll the cooler it gets. I'd be trolling larger cranks and spinnerbaits. Remember that if you turn your back to the wind and point your left arm straight to the left, that is where a low pressure system is located all seasons. So with your NE wind a low is passing you to the SE likely moving in generally a west to east direction, the prevailing direction most weather comes from in the northern hemisphere.
kdawg
Posted 5/20/2020 9:21 AM (#960135 - in reply to #960127)

What the first 2 guys said, and also I believe this is one time I would really pay attention to ur water temp. gauge. And if there is a particular area that is exposed to more sunlight. At this time of the year, as u know Slamr, warm water good. Kdawg
BNelson
Posted 5/20/2020 9:48 AM (#960136 - in reply to #960097)

east winds in the spring do generally suck, in mid summer/late summer doesn't seem to be as bad overall.. this time of year if it's a strong east wind I generally punt!
if you have to go, I'd go with small erratic baits and go from there

Edited by BNelson 5/20/2020 9:51 AM
Larry Ramsell
Posted 5/20/2020 12:51 PM (#960139 - in reply to #960097)

For some strange reason, I always had good luck on Pete's Bar on the Chippewa Flowage in an east or NE wind. Other places is sucks!
ghoti
Posted 5/20/2020 2:01 PM (#960140 - in reply to #960097)

Try some hydroxychloroquine. What can it hurt.
ToddM
Posted 5/20/2020 3:12 PM (#960145 - in reply to #960097)

Depends on the time of year. If it's spring, count me out not wasting my time. Not as bad of an issue in the summer or the fall. One place I do well in those winds but not for musky are the cooling lakes had some of my best days.
North of 8
Posted 5/20/2020 5:23 PM (#960147 - in reply to #960145)

Day like today, with an east wind, went and fished crappies in the shallows on west side of the lake. Still not quite warm enough for them to be in spawning but picked up enough for a meal and saw some nice pike. Soon as crappie bite started, would look and most of the time it was because a big pike was cruising the shore. Later went to other side of the lake and there the water was 8 degrees cooler. The steady east wind had moved warmer water to the west shore.
c44hmusky
Posted 5/23/2020 8:10 PM (#960274 - in reply to #960097)

Keep in mind, where you are fishing, the NE wind is generated by the big pond next to you. It could be a N wind or NW further inland. If the wind is NNW 45 miles inland, is a NE wind, generated by L. Michigan, have anything to do with a front?
BNelson
Posted 5/24/2020 1:27 AM (#960282 - in reply to #960274)

keep in mind...huh? well ok. then..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)