Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Best "waterproof" finnish for wood baits

Message Subject: Best "waterproof" finnish for wood baits
happy hooker
Posted 10/28/2019 11:52 AM (#949004)
Subject: Best "waterproof" finnish for wood baits

I have definitely noticed a pattern or trait,,on my favorite dive and rise baits they stimulate more action especially on the death rise when they are fresh out of the box at beginning of the day. Has they become waterlogged and rise slower they don't trigger the fish has much. The right bounce back buoyancy is a trigger.
I know we have all kinds of clearcoats but I'm wondering if anybody has found something that is "best" at pure waterproofing wood baits, doesn't have to be a pretty clear Finnish.
I could get around this problem by carrying 30 of the same bait but I'd like to avoid that.
lelekb
Posted 10/28/2019 1:32 PM (#949012 - in reply to #949004)
Subject: Re: Best "waterproof" finnish for wood baits

I would recommend posting/reposing this in the Basement Baits section where there are some folks smarter than I who can help you. Given that, I would add the following:

- Any clear coat will add a little weight and will reduce buoyancy a little (not a lot, but a little).
- Envirotex two part epoxy (available at Menards) is probably the most durable/waterproof, but also the heaviest.
- There are other types of clear coats besides epoxy, but I am not familiar with them.
- Two part epoxy is difficult to get right for a non-expert. You need a lure "turner" and precise mixing technique.
- You can probably search the Basement Baits section for advise on two-part epoxy techniques or find someone willing to do it for you. Maybe you can find a custom painter that will do just a clear coat.
- Without experimenting, it is difficult to know how much a clear coat will impact your particular lure's buoyancy.
- My suggestion would be to take your most buoyant lure and try a clear coat (maybe with a custom repaint too) and see how it works.
- If that approach fails, you could drill out a small amount of weight from your lure to make it super buoyant, and then clear coat it.

Brian
lelekb
Posted 10/28/2019 4:12 PM (#949023 - in reply to #949004)
Subject: Re: Best "waterproof" finnish for wood baits

Another small bit to help is to use a slightly smaller wire leader or maybe switch to fluorocarbon. Also, you could remove the snap and swivel from the leader and just use a split ring to attach to the lure. This will reduce the weight a little.

Brian
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)