Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Quick Strike hook size

Message Subject: Quick Strike hook size
ToothyCritter
Posted 9/24/2019 11:43 AM (#947191)
Subject: Quick Strike hook size

What's the most common size treble for this application? Shopping online and for the life of me cannot remember the darn size I use to make QS rigs...

Could swear I used a thin wire eagle claw last time, but cannot remember the size? I think I use VMC when swapping hooks on baits, but QS rigs I went with the thinner wire hook if I'm not mistaken.. ?? Took all my hooks out of the boxes and put them into Plano compartments.. Cubbard is getting low and needs a restock..

What's the M1st rule of thumb ?

nar160
Posted 9/24/2019 12:16 PM (#947195 - in reply to #947191)
Subject: Re: Quick Strike hook size

Far from an expert here, but after playing with them a couple years I use EC 774 in the following sizes

12" sucker: 2/0
15" sucker: 4/0
18" sucker: 5/0

I don't see much advantage in going any bigger, but I've considered going slightly smaller. Interested to hear what others have to say.
Grass
Posted 9/24/2019 1:14 PM (#947197 - in reply to #947191)

I use one Mustad 5/0 on all my quick strike rigs.
I put one barb of the hook in the belly of the sucker just under the skin so that the loop of the hook ends just behind the suckers head.
Excellent hook up ratio.
ToddM
Posted 9/24/2019 1:16 PM (#947198 - in reply to #947191)

1/0 to 5/0 depending on sucker size. I use round bend mustads of to 3/0. I have used bigger on big suckers. I like to keep the rig light. I am also not a fan of 4x thick hooks on anything.
BNelson
Posted 9/24/2019 1:17 PM (#947200 - in reply to #947191)

for MN size suckers I use 5/0 774s.
for WI size suckers (and fish) I use VMC 9650bz
North of 8
Posted 9/24/2019 4:48 PM (#947209 - in reply to #947200)

Attended a live bait seminar this past winter presented by Rob Manthei, guide in northern WI. He showed us the rigs he makes up and I believe he said they were 1/0. Some of the folks questioned the smaller size and he said his clients successfully hooked something like 38 of 40 sucker bites the previous season. He clearly was not a believer in big trebles on quick strike rigs. Wants them strong and very sharp. Not saying that is the right way in all cases but seems to work for him.
Cfollow
Posted 9/24/2019 6:15 PM (#947214 - in reply to #947209)

I use nothing but 16” and larger suckers and use 6/0 wide gap hooks. One hook in the middle of each side of the sucker slightly below the center line. Never ever stagger the hooks. The next time I see a fish do anything but perfectly T-bone the sucker will be the first.
It’s fun to think smaller hardware will be more stealthy and allow the sucker to bob and weave and run like the wind. That very well may be true but my extensive experience has shown me trying to predict which sucker will be eaten based on its activity is a coin toss. I have seen suckers that pull line of the reel bury a balloon the size of a softball and never get touched all day. I have also seen suckers in glide mode that barely look alive get crushed in no time at all. Putting the sucker in the right location is infinitely more important than what hardware is on the sucker.
Went 2 for 2 with 18” suckers wearing 6/0 hooks last weekend.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)