Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> classic double hook hanger

Message Subject: classic double hook hanger
supertrollr
Posted 8/28/2019 9:49 AM (#946044)
Subject: classic double hook hanger

are they safe ? for some reason i have seen many guys that were complaining about eye screw ,but not many for these one that were used for many cranks like wiley and also top water. ive got some good top water whit that and every time im using them i feel like a drama is gonna happen, im i right or just too paranoid ? ive even seen that on new top water lure ,what's the point ,im i missing something ?

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(hook-hanger.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hook-hanger.jpg (10KB - 430 downloads)
esoxaddict
Posted 8/28/2019 1:55 PM (#946067 - in reply to #946044)
Subject: Re: classic double hook hanger

I could see how a fish might be able to torque one of those to the point of failure, but I've never seen it happen. If you're worried, I'd get longer screws, epoxy them in place and add a split ring to the hook hanger when you have it off the bait.
Jerry Newman
Posted 8/28/2019 9:58 PM (#946095 - in reply to #946067)

esoxaddict - 8/28/2019 1:55 PM I could see how a fish might be able to torque one of those to the point of failure, but I've never seen it happen. If you're worried, I'd get longer screws, epoxy them in place and add a split ring to the hook hanger when you have it off the bait.

x2 on adding a HD split ring.

jdsplasher
Posted 8/28/2019 10:25 PM (#946100 - in reply to #946095)

I would NEVER EVER trust a hook hanger. Too Rigid!!! Fish also has leverage with this set up.

JD

supertrollr
Posted 8/29/2019 12:50 AM (#946109 - in reply to #946100)

jerry what do you mean by hd ?
North of 8
Posted 8/29/2019 7:58 AM (#946115 - in reply to #946100)

jdsplasher - 8/28/2019 10:25 PM

I would NEVER EVER trust a hook hanger. Too Rigid!!! Fish also has leverage with this set up.

JD

Would you recommend adding a split ring?
Jerry Newman
Posted 8/29/2019 8:25 AM (#946117 - in reply to #946115)

I think it's pretty easy for everyone to agree that fish could simply get to get too much leverage/torque on that style hook hanger, that's why they're not main stream anymore.

Back in the day I would delete that style hanger and install a single HD (heavy duty) screw eye and split ring, this worked really well on wooden lures… not so much with the plastic body baits because whenever I pierced the hollow body with too long of a screw eye they would typically leak.

Further, with that style hanger I've noticed that even when you add a split ring it's still not as free swinging as 1 hanging from a screw eye or through wire… might be a good idea try installing 2 split rings in a chain and see how/if that will work.

I would never consider using it "as is" either. Good luck!

jdsplasher
Posted 8/29/2019 4:13 PM (#946162 - in reply to #946109)

supertrollr - 8/29/2019 12:50 AM jerry what do you mean by hd ?

Superman, hd is heavy duty

North of 8, yes split ring helps, but too rigid for me. JN, advise, dbl split ring even better...BUT, hook may swing around top of bait and hang up,+ dbl ring adds more weak links.

The purpose of hook hangers is usually to add an extra hook to bait, and to keep them from tangling each other....also cosmetics. I feel it's better to beef up on ott with front hook and tube rear hook, to keep them from tangling...

JD

supertrollr
Posted 8/30/2019 8:20 AM (#946180 - in reply to #946044)

many good brand like bs are using that for their globe ,i guess it is to make sure long eyes screw are not gonna be in contact whit the central main wire. lol i tough it was a brand or something . high definition ring lol
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)