Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Helix Settings

Message Subject: Helix Settings
Northernfan
Posted 8/22/2019 5:57 PM (#945760)
Subject: Helix Settings

So I have had a helix 7 with sonar, down imaging, and side imaging for a year now. I feel like I have wrong settings because I don't feel like im detecting fish with it. Never seen arches for anything we fish for. Was just out crappie fishing and think we were marking fish but not sure because nothing was schooled up or was not appearing that way. Can anyone share their sensitivity, contrast, or other settings they use to detect fish while moving around 3mph? or just drifting? Would love to be able to use this for multiple species, and finding baitfish. Thank you.
pklingen
Posted 8/22/2019 6:37 PM (#945761 - in reply to #945760)
Subject: Re: Helix Settings

just go on you tube and type it in. there are many people that know alot about birds visually showing you how to adjust your settings for what your looking for. i spent many hours just watching and taking notes, its very helpful to see someone do it as they explain it rather than just reading how to do it. you don't even need to be on the water just put on simulation mode and adjust the settings and see how they work.
sukrchukr
Posted 8/23/2019 10:25 AM (#945793 - in reply to #945760)

Youtube vids are helpful, but all settings will vary according to your setup. How you set your transducer, position and angle, will affect settings. My personal settings are 7 on sensitivity, 8 on contrast and sharpness off.... just keep experimenting...youll find whats best for your setup
miket55
Posted 8/24/2019 8:36 AM (#945818 - in reply to #945760)

I set my chart speed to match my GPS speed for the best SI view.. 3 mph, set speed to 3, drifting.. 1. That's what works for me.

Just gotta play with it, and when you get everything set to your liking, take screenshots of the settings with your phone in case you need to reset the unit.
Vilas15
Posted 8/24/2019 1:01 PM (#945832 - in reply to #945818)

I've got a Helix 9 SI and for the first two years I only used it for the maps since like you I couldn't see anything with it. Then this year all of a sudden it clicked as if the thing was somehow fixed. I think the most important thing is to match chart speed with your boat speed. SI only works when the boat is going forwards so I don't use it unless I'm driving or trolling. Maybe if I'm going on a long track casting and know I can keep boat speed around 0.8 mph I'll set chart speed on 1. Even when you're drifting and just using sonar your chart speed should match drift speed. Most of the time I just leave mine on 2. I believe all my settings are around the average values with sensitivity and contrast around 11/20. One thing that might be worth trying is updating your unit, something I've done twice. Although yours is only a year old so there may not be much advantage to that. I would try to fish with someone who is good with sonar and have them mess with your unit to get it working right. Then record the settings and go from there. You should adjust settings to the conditions and what you want to see, something that comes with experience. Another tip about side imaging is to take the range down out either side of the boat to only 50-65'. Especially with only a 7" screen if you set the range to 100'+ everything will be packed in and you won't be able to see anything smaller than a massive boulder.
Lundbob
Posted 8/26/2019 2:45 PM (#945932 - in reply to #945760)

Watch this guy. Very cool system they have. SI you are really only changing sensitivity, speed and contrast. Also shorten your range to get a better picture. You don't need to see 100-150 feet out. 50-65 is good for smaller fish like eyes and crappie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amq6u-rGdnE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)