Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Questions - repowering from a console to tiller

Reply New post
Message Subject: Questions - repowering from a console to tiller
AndrewR
Posted 7/18/2019 9:47 PM (#942606)
Subject: Questions - repowering from a console to tiller

Likely boat project coming next year. Need some advice.

Got a 16ft Lund Guide Special 315 I plan on repowering in the next year (I hope).

Current outboard that sits on it is a single console long shaft 28hp Evinrude SPL that just never seems to want to break or fail me.

I'm tired of all the space it hogs up as my boat and its layout would be most ideal if it was a tiller. And it sucks for trolling. Is not fuel efficient. Not quiet. No tilt/trim. Thousands of hours on it already.

Got my eyes set on an E-Tec. Got my quotes from a few dealers for a variety of electric trim / long shaft (20") 15-20-25-30 hp outboards. Great. All within the budget and I can go new.

One little issue.........

I have been advised that in order to make this helm to tiller repower, my little boat's hull rating of 30 hp must be reduced significantly when removing a helm station and converting to tiller steering...... so for instance, even though I want a 25 or 30 to fit the hull specs and get my best bang for the buck, dealerships are insisting I only repower with a little dinky 15hp due to weight distribution, flotation, etc. Does this even matter if I'll still be seated on the same console rear seat location if boat was tiller? And if a 25hp E-tec weighs about the same as the 1986 year 28 SPL (150 lbs).

Not sure what's the deal, I definitely don't want to be spending all that money if the biggest I can rig with is a 15 horse ? Anyone else ever encounter similar scenarios thru dealer when repowering and swapping from a console set-up to tiller? Maybe do all the rigging by myself LOL.....

Edited by AndrewR 7/18/2019 9:50 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(lund315.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments lund315.jpg (71KB - 557 downloads)
VMS
Posted 7/18/2019 10:08 PM (#942607 - in reply to #942606)
Subject: Re: Questions - repowering from a console to tiller

Hiya!!

Lund made the guide series in the early 80s. The 315 special is the same hull as the 315 only with a console. Both were rated to 35 hp at the time. That rating though was the hp rating at the engine and not at the prop, so you should be good with a motor up to 30 hp and you can go to a tiller without issue.

Follow this link and go to page 14.

https://www.lundboats.com/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/1981.pdf
ToddC
Posted 7/19/2019 6:50 AM (#942617 - in reply to #942606)

Andrew,

I had the exact same red boat in a tiller. It had a 30 hp Mariner on it which had a Yamaha powerhead. Great motor and it pushed the boat along very well. As Steve mentioned, I believe it was rated for a 35hp. If you want the etec motor I’d go with the 30. I loved that little boat but with a growing family I just needed more room. As a second boat it would be a great little pond jumper. Take care......Todd
AndrewR
Posted 7/19/2019 8:39 AM (#942630 - in reply to #942606)

Todd & Steve - this just answered everything! Cannot argue that info or the specs. I'm gonna throw that old Lund boats catalog at the dealers faces!!!

Yes, 35 horses is the rating. It's such a fun little boat. Turned 40 seasons old.

Thank you.
BNelson
Posted 7/19/2019 9:36 AM (#942639 - in reply to #942606)

why not just sell that one, and find the tiller model.. ? seems like you'd be money ahead with that plan over your current idea?!
VMS
Posted 7/19/2019 12:41 PM (#942654 - in reply to #942606)

Hiya,

without seeing the boat, I'm wagering a guess here that the console comes out with just a few bolts.

I did a little more searching and one thing you might want to consider is the weight of the motor as well. Although you could get away with a 30hp of today's motors, you might find the rear end will "squat" a bit as the etec 30hp is about 150 pounds as compared to the 80's 35hp which was roughly 120 pounds.

If anything that might be the argument the dealers could be considering.

food for thought more than anything...

Steve

Edited by VMS 7/19/2019 12:43 PM
AndrewR
Posted 7/19/2019 5:24 PM (#942690 - in reply to #942639)

BNelson - 7/19/2019 9:36 AM

why not just sell that one, and find the tiller model.. ? seems like you'd be money ahead with that plan over your current idea?!

No way!! Keeping the hull and setup for life. Perfect to putz around with where I go. Whatever project I do here will be utilized and enjoyed for a long time. Sentimental little boat for me personally, having bought it for $900 from a junkyard when I was a poor college kid. Fixed it up and restored it too. I don't like getting rid of vintage things either
AndrewR
Posted 7/19/2019 5:31 PM (#942691 - in reply to #942654)

VMS - 7/19/2019 12:41 PM

Hiya,

without seeing the boat, I'm wagering a guess here that the console comes out with just a few bolts.

I did a little more searching and one thing you might want to consider is the weight of the motor as well. Although you could get away with a 30hp of today's motors, you might find the rear end will "squat" a bit as the etec 30hp is about 150 pounds as compared to the 80's 35hp which was roughly 120 pounds.

If anything that might be the argument the dealers could be considering.

food for thought more than anything...

Steve

Steve, you are correct about the bolts. Got a few that go into the floor, and a few that screw into the gunnel. They've been removed and detached before during prior work and are easy to remove.

I figured the difference in motor weight is their argument. I just don't think they know this hull and style of boat too well. It is loaded with foam and flotation on the back end.

If I lost 30 lbs of body weight (in progress) then we should be A-okay with a 30lbs heavier 30 horse Etec hahahaha
Pointerpride102
Posted 7/19/2019 6:47 PM (#942700 - in reply to #942691)

Will the wife appreciate the wedding gifts being used to fund a new motor?
North of 8
Posted 7/19/2019 7:50 PM (#942705 - in reply to #942700)

Sounds like a fun project. You would get along well with a guy near me who only has vintage boats, cycles. All in great shape, and used. Good luck and the best to you! (I am going to my 50th class reunion next weekend, so I like folks that appreciate "VINTAGE")
Brian Hoffies
Posted 7/20/2019 11:20 AM (#942734 - in reply to #942606)

Dealer doesn't need to know what it's going on unless he is mounting it. Walkin and tell them you want a motor and to load it into the back of your pickup for you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)